Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 11:04 am

How is it for you having to go to the dentist?
Has always been a nightmare and have to be held down by people and knocked out.
The last visit for a cleaning was only partially sedated and given headphones, but still
cried the whole time. Told dad wanted to go back to being knocked out again.
Was trying to be a "big boy" but is just too much to deal with.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2014, 11:16 am

I get to watch tv with headphones. Very thankful my dentist has upgraded to lcd tvs, those old 32 inch crt tvs he had freaked me out... always felt like it was about to drop on me.

I have an appointment at 10:45 this morning.. about half an hour from now. Anxiety is high.

I have never been put under for dental work. In fact the last two times I needed fillings/cleaning I never had any freezing. I will today though.

The needle and the drilling are the worst.

TheMighty_Moo
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2014, 11:20 am

Going to the dentist is always a pain in the butt, I gotta say. I guess most of us here have some issues with dentists, like I do. Ah, and I'm sorry to hear that you have to be knocked out occasionally. Must be pretty annoying. :?
I, surprisingly, never was knocked out but I've always had problems with dentists. I have to say that I have pretty odd teeth. They never really grow as fast as they really should and I was too lazy to brush them as a kid so my parents would freak out and take me to their dentist. He did something, still not sure what, that apparently keeps my teeth intact and resistant to decaying for a pretty long time. I was familiar with him so there weren't any problems with him personally. The fact that he's a dentist, however, was pretty creepy.

Moo approves!

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 11:30 am

I've actually never had many problems going to the dentist, but my last visit was less than pleasant.

It took a while before my dentist could get x-rays, because I couldn't stop gagging on the that stupid thing they put in your mouth to keep it open, and it hurt to bite down like she told me to.

Then when I got a filling, I was supposed to drink this mysterious liquid, although they didn't tell me what it was supposed to do or if I was supposed to swallow it; I tried my hardest not to, but it trickled down my throat and I panicked because of the horrible taste and burning sensation it gave me. I rushed to the sink and the two women just sat around watching me cough it up.

It would've been nice if one of them had said, "Hey, we're gonna need you to swallow some of this. Don't be alarmed if you feel a horrible burning sensation in your throat for a couple of minutes. It's completely normal."

Soccer22
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 12:03 pm

ReticentJaeger wrote:
I've actually never had many problems going to the dentist, but my last visit was less than pleasant.

It took a while before my dentist could get x-rays, because I couldn't stop gagging on the that stupid thing they put in your mouth to keep it open, and it hurt to bite down like she told me to.

Then when I got a filling, I was supposed to drink this mysterious liquid, although they didn't tell me what it was supposed to do or if I was supposed to swallow it; I tried my hardest not to, but it trickled down my throat and I panicked because of the horrible taste and burning sensation it gave me. I rushed to the sink and the two women just sat around watching me cough it up.

It would've been nice if one of them had said, "Hey, we're gonna need you to swallow some of this. Don't be alarmed if you feel a horrible burning sensation in your throat for a couple of minutes. It's completely normal."

AHH I had a similar experience. Those xray things they put in your mouth really hurt and I also feel like I'm going to choke on it. They have to use the "toddler size" for me because I have such a tiny mouth and yet it still hurts. Last time I got a filling some of the numbing stuff ran down my throat and I couldn't feel anything and I couldn't feel myself swallow so I had a panic attack and someone had to calm me down and they told me they wouldn't start until I drank a whole glass of orange juice, but since I couldn't feel my lips or mouth I had to use my fingers to push my lips around the straw so I didn't spill. It was just an awful experience. And then during the filling, they were talking with each other and not focusing on me and that really really really bothered me too.

Does anyone else get bothered by that scraper that they use to take debris and plaque off your teeth? Feels like fingers on a chalk board and I get goosebumps every time.

guzzle
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 12:04 pm

I don't deal with them. General anaesthetic only for me :o

DevilKisses
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 12:47 pm

I hate the dentist. The dental hygienists are so annoying and fake. I hate the high pitched sound the drill makes. I hate having to keep my mouth open for an extended amount of time. Fortunately they have a numbing jell that is strong enough to make the cleaning not painful.

Sona_21
Raven
Raven

10 Mar 2014, 2:41 pm

I've only technically been to the dentist not even a handful of times, I think about 5? I don't remember it being terribly pleasant, but again it's been a while (I have an appointment coming up ): not looking forward to it. I have however been to the orthodontist, I hated it so much. I got a lip bumper when I was six, and a head gear which I hid and never wore, EVER. Then there were the multiple times my mom dragged me into the building kicking and screaming, or I hid in the bathroom and refused to come out. I HATED it, wish they had just left me alone or knocked me out. Anyway after phase one my mom let me take a break and we didn't go back for a few years, by which time one of the teeth I'd had pulled finally grew back but in my gum above all my other teeth (it doesn't bother me or anything though). They wanted me to go through another round of braces, but I completely refused, and -as I was 16 by then- said I would have everything taken out when I was 18 if they tried to make me do it again. Soo, yeah, not really a fan of teeth doctors -sorry teeth doctors.
Sorry that it's so awful for you Ezra. If you can avoid it, don't get braces.

ouroborosUK
Toucan
Toucan

10 Mar 2014, 3:51 pm

After some very bad experiences, luckily I found a very good dentist, both very skilled as a dentist and extremely nice, understanding and kind. I hadn't any autistic diagnosis at the time, but he understood I was extremely anxious and nervous, and he was very careful, soft, and he explained everything he did to me beforehand (something I think should be mandatory for all medical professional if you ask for it). Due to the morphology of my mouith I had to endure several teeth extractions, and those are bad memories but I was heavily sedated. When I had to have wisdom tooth removal, i got a general anaesthesia and all the four teeth done at the same time.

So they are bad moments but not all dentists are the same and finding the right one can make it more bearable (especially if you have a problematic dentition, as I had as a child).

A bit obsessed with vocabulary, semantics and using the right words. Sorry if it is a concern. It's the way I think, I am not hair-splitting or attacking you.

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 5:04 pm

My dentist is great - he gave me a root canal and I never even had to take meds (beyond being numbed up while he was doing it).

My problem isn't fear - it's the gag reflex. It's been getting worse and worse so now I have a harder time brushing my teeth, which leads to more plaque which leads to longer cleanings and scrapings and more gagging. Ugh.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 5:43 pm

wozeree wrote:
My problem isn't fear - it's the gag reflex. It's been getting worse and worse so now I have a harder time brushing my teeth, which leads to more plaque which leads to longer cleanings and scrapings and more gagging. Ugh.

Flossing triggers my gag reflex at least once each time, and I was horrified when I first learned that you were actually supposed to brush your tongue, too.

Euuuugh. That doesn't work well for me.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2014, 7:15 pm

My son, now 12, is overdue a visit to the dentist. I was there today myself, and that reminded me!

The last time my son had dental treatment, it was done at the local children's hospital, under a general anaesthetic. He can't tolerate more than a brief inspection of his mouth by our own dentist - who is very calm and very gentle.

MarthaCannary
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Mar 2014, 10:51 pm

I thurvifed the denthists!! !! I am thill wery wery frothen though. Good newth ith he fixth the tooth I hab brokeb.

:lol:

Seriously though, it was okay-ish. I messed with my phone and they gave me a pair of wrap-around safety glasses that were tinted like sunglasses. So I would not get tooth dust or some-such on my real glasses, plus I was still wearing my sunglasses (EZ-CLIP magnetic clipon, hard to tell they are NOT prescription), which made things very dark.

The tooth he was working on had already had a root canal, I had just accidentally removed the filling while flossing. So he only gave me but a spritz of the freezing needle, just enough to numb a tiny portion of the gum by the tooth.

I stand corrected on what I had said were the worst parts of going to the dentist. Revised list is as follows: 1: The needle. 2: the lips and jaw after an hour or so of some dude yarding on them....

The repair does not hurt at all, my lips and TMJ jaw however.... My lips feel like they have sunburn, which they might as I went to the farm after the dentist and it was really sunny and there was snow on the ground. My jaw is locked... and burning.

Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 5:44 am

I only have a problem when they use novacane. Them sticking needles in my mouth of all places is very uncomfortable. Everything else I'm cool with.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 6:35 am

Absolutely dread dentist visits. Took two ibuprofen and a xanax last time, and that helped somewhat.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

11 Mar 2014, 6:49 am

Mainly is being pinned down with a light in my face
and someone's fingers in my mouth using tools.
Is like one of those alien abduction things.
And did a lot of gagging.