Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Zsewqa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Dec 2017, 8:28 pm

Two years ago I made an account on this site and asked if I should be screen for Asperger. Now I have a official diagnose and I don’t know how to feel. On one hand I’m happy that I know that my problems aren’t just something I made up in my head but on the other hand I feel sad like now I know have a chronic problem that won’t go away.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 8:39 pm

It's not like you have Leprosy or something.

It's something one has to deal with. There are even some good points in having Asperger's, at times.

The "bad" can seem really "bad" to a person with Asperger's---especially in certain situations.

But, really, you're not going to die from it. It's not a "chronic" condition in the sense that Hepatitis is a "chronic condition.

It's not like it changes you as a person. It's only a label.

Yo El
Toucan
Toucan

26 Dec 2017, 8:58 pm

You should learn to wield the autism within you. Never underestimate the power of weaponized autism.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 9:08 pm

If a person wants to use your Asperger's against you, THEN you "weaponize" you autism by using your smarts, and letting the other person know that you are not stupid, and you will not be messed with. But always do it in a nice way, not a defensive way. Being defensive never works.

Until then, I would just treat people, and expect to be treated, with respect. I don't mean somebody bowing down to me. I mean being capable of having a decent conversation with me without insulting me, and having a dialogue instead of many monologues.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 10:00 pm

For me the diagnosis (at age 58) caused odd mixed feelings, a kind of exhilarated sadness, some anger but an intense sense of relief as well, even a peculiar sense of guilt, a sense of being creeped out by myself. My guess is that this is pretty normal (?), though we are all different.

There are endless ways of working round / with / through Asperger's, it just takes us longer to learn some things, sometimes much much longer.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 10:17 pm

Honestly, I don't get why anybody would be "creeped out" by Asperger's.

I would be more "creeped out" had I found out I was a Satanist.

Zsewqa
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Dec 2017, 10:29 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Honestly, I don't get why anybody would be "creeped out" by Asperger's.

I would be more "creeped out" had I found out I was a Satanist.

I think for those of us who were able to “pass for normal” always saw autism as something abnormal.
Quite honestly growing up no one ever thought that I would be diagnosed with Asperger, i’ve Always been the sterotypical over achieving student who got along with her peers and that was my normal for so long that now knowing that I fabricated ( learning to hide my autistic tendencies) a good portion of my attitudes make me feel in the simplest for terms weird.
I think for those of us who got diagnosed later on we just have a harder time accepting that we aren’t like the rest of the world. It neither a good or bad thing in my opion just something that is there.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2017, 10:32 pm

I was diagnosed very early----about 1964.

I guess I've had more practice in being "abnormal." I never had any hope of attaining "normalcy." I just knew I had to tread my own path to things---aided, at times, by established methods.

I never had a day in my life when I ever thought I was "normal."

I get what you mean, though.

But Asperger's is not "abnormal" in the sense that pedophilia is "abnormal."

We are not "tainted" folk. I truly wish people would stop thinking that we're "tainted" in some way.