Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

gloomywtregret
Raven
Raven

18 Feb 2007, 11:09 am

I used to want to be cured.
Now I just accept myself for me.
Besides their is no cure and it may even be impossible.
I wouldn't take it I think AS has made me stronger in some ways.

kpupg
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Feb 2007, 12:28 pm

God, Zanne, wow, I never heard it described that way before, but it makes so much sense. You are blowing my mind. Where did you learn to look at it that way? I have to go away and compute for awhile. By the way, thanks so much.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 3:17 am

ZanneMarie wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
I like your advice to basically be yourself, no matter what, though I feel it can be hard for those among us who are more sensitive to the criticisms and bullying of others. I find myself incredibly sensitive to things others might call me, but I suppose that is down to my poor self esteem also. I imagine those who have a well established sense of self respect and self love would not be especially affected. Afterall, everyone's behaviour tends to come down to their own experiences and their own subjective opinions.

And your avatar...what is it? I can see it is an area of that great out there, but which part?

My avatar is the fastest spinning star! It's sucking matter off the object closest to it. I love you avatar, by the way. It's great.

Okay. Here's the deal with those feelings you have. You need to force yourself to put your emotions in an box (actually, this is an NT exercise they use in work environments). When you get your emotions in that box, go back and look at the situation. You are make so many assumptions about those people and they are just not true, although they work hard to make you think they are and they are succeeding. This is the deal with NT socialization. It is about alot of saying things you don't mean and posturing. So, these people picking on you is about posturing and you need to start seeing it for what it is. It is not an intellectual exercise on their part. It's very primal. It's very akin to what dogs do in pack order. In pack order, dogs will posture with each other. They will raise hair, growl, push each other, grab necks and so on. That's what all of that bullying and teasing is. That is all it is. It is just a bunch of humans posturing for their place in society (the pack). If they can psych you out (fool you) into thinking that they are right, they just moved over you in pack order. What does that get them? Not much in a technological world. Primal superiority may get them a mid-level management job in a manufacturing firm or on a Construction crew, but it really doesn't amount to much in a technological world. Intelligence has more play there.

So, when that starts happening, pull your mind back and picture those people as dogs instead. If you can't picture this, watch "The Dog Whisperer" because that guy talks about it all the time and shows it. That will give you a clear visual of it. Concentrate on seeing them that way instead of hearing what they are saying and seeing them as other people. See them as the behavior they are displaying. Then, you will stop respecting it and realize it for what it is... primal posturing. Establishing pack order. Acting like a bunch of dogs. They will lose their power when you successfully see them that way and you will be the one who does not back down. You will be the one who moves up the rung in the posturing. Because that's all it is. It's all about seeing who backs down first. It's human behavior at its most primitive, so stop giving it so much value. It doesn't mean they are worthless, but that behavior pretty much is at the lowest end of the evolutionary scale.

Hopefully that helps a bit. You'll have to practice, but if nothing else, it will distract you while that happens. Just remember, put your feelings in the imaginary box first so you can be logical.

thanks for the advice!

Just today I was talking with a friend about this person, let's name her "Chayito". Ok, so Chayito is my teacher, and acts in a very "strange" way to me, and I didn't fully understand her, or her motives.

But a few hours ago I started to realize that Chayito, my teacher, wants to look like she is superior to me, but in a mean kind of way, and at the same time seems to be joking or trying to get along with us, and it causes a shock not only in me, but everyone in the classroom!

So next time I see her, I'll try to look cool, and calmed, that's where I have been failing, and she takes advantage of that. I'm normally calmed, but to be honest [/b]I don't know how to react when I'm in front of her :([b]

I'm a good student, very good at what I'm doing, and have a half-time job, and that's why some days I arrive late at her class, and she knows that. I never had problems with teachers, in fact I'm one of the best students in my generation, but man, she gets on my nerves and I'm starting to see problems...

And I don't know why she tries to look superior, maybe because she isn't a good teacher. She seems to be new at teaching, she doesn't have the slightest idea of what to do, sometimes she doesn't come, or we do nothing... and if I arrive late she starts to ask me what's wrong with me, argh, I don't know if I explained myself.

anyway, thanks for the advice Zanne :)

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 3:31 am

My aspieness is my greatest card in the Texas Hold'em game of life. It gives me the ability to write creatively, understand a song at the drop of a hat, a long term memory with epic recall powers, but best of all it gives me some peace. I can go about not caring who thinks what about me and being my over-the-top mouthy self.

AS is a gift in a box made from confusion and desperation, with ribbon of pariahism.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 6:15 am

kpupg wrote:
God, Zanne, wow, I never heard it described that way before, but it makes so much sense. You are blowing my mind. Where did you learn to look at it that way? I have to go away and compute for awhile. By the way, thanks so much.

I have no idea. I always pictured it that way. When I was very young and people picked on my brother, I always thought, they are acting just like a pack of dogs would. That was the visual I got when I saw that. It immediately lost power. Later, in drama class we were taught to look at the audience like rocks. That partially reinfoced it for me. Then, in management classes they finally came right out and taught us about that behavior. That did it. I knew I had been right with what I had seen as a child. They were acting just like a pack of dogs. In the corporate world, you see this all the time. It's called corporate politics. They just carried it over from the playground and NT people deal with this all the time at work. They are always making sure they are posturing so they don't lose their place.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 6:31 am

computerlove wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
I like your advice to basically be yourself, no matter what, though I feel it can be hard for those among us who are more sensitive to the criticisms and bullying of others. I find myself incredibly sensitive to things others might call me, but I suppose that is down to my poor self esteem also. I imagine those who have a well established sense of self respect and self love would not be especially affected. Afterall, everyone's behaviour tends to come down to their own experiences and their own subjective opinions.

And your avatar...what is it? I can see it is an area of that great out there, but which part?

My avatar is the fastest spinning star! It's sucking matter off the object closest to it. I love you avatar, by the way. It's great.

Okay. Here's the deal with those feelings you have. You need to force yourself to put your emotions in an box (actually, this is an NT exercise they use in work environments). When you get your emotions in that box, go back and look at the situation. You are make so many assumptions about those people and they are just not true, although they work hard to make you think they are and they are succeeding. This is the deal with NT socialization. It is about alot of saying things you don't mean and posturing. So, these people picking on you is about posturing and you need to start seeing it for what it is. It is not an intellectual exercise on their part. It's very primal. It's very akin to what dogs do in pack order. In pack order, dogs will posture with each other. They will raise hair, growl, push each other, grab necks and so on. That's what all of that bullying and teasing is. That is all it is. It is just a bunch of humans posturing for their place in society (the pack). If they can psych you out (fool you) into thinking that they are right, they just moved over you in pack order. What does that get them? Not much in a technological world. Primal superiority may get them a mid-level management job in a manufacturing firm or on a Construction crew, but it really doesn't amount to much in a technological world. Intelligence has more play there.

So, when that starts happening, pull your mind back and picture those people as dogs instead. If you can't picture this, watch "The Dog Whisperer" because that guy talks about it all the time and shows it. That will give you a clear visual of it. Concentrate on seeing them that way instead of hearing what they are saying and seeing them as other people. See them as the behavior they are displaying. Then, you will stop respecting it and realize it for what it is... primal posturing. Establishing pack order. Acting like a bunch of dogs. They will lose their power when you successfully see them that way and you will be the one who does not back down. You will be the one who moves up the rung in the posturing. Because that's all it is. It's all about seeing who backs down first. It's human behavior at its most primitive, so stop giving it so much value. It doesn't mean they are worthless, but that behavior pretty much is at the lowest end of the evolutionary scale.

Hopefully that helps a bit. You'll have to practice, but if nothing else, it will distract you while that happens. Just remember, put your feelings in the imaginary box first so you can be logical.

thanks for the advice!

Just today I was talking with a friend about this person, let's name her "Chayito". Ok, so Chayito is my teacher, and acts in a very "strange" way to me, and I didn't fully understand her, or her motives.

But a few hours ago I started to realize that Chayito, my teacher, wants to look like she is superior to me, but in a mean kind of way, and at the same time seems to be joking or trying to get along with us, and it causes a shock not only in me, but everyone in the classroom!

So next time I see her, I'll try to look cool, and calmed, that's where I have been failing, and she takes advantage of that. I'm normally calmed, but to be honest [/b]I don't know how to react when I'm in front of her :([b]

I'm a good student, very good at what I'm doing, and have a half-time job, and that's why some days I arrive late at her class, and she knows that. I never had problems with teachers, in fact I'm one of the best students in my generation, but man, she gets on my nerves and I'm starting to see problems...

And I don't know why she tries to look superior, maybe because she isn't a good teacher. She seems to be new at teaching, she doesn't have the slightest idea of what to do, sometimes she doesn't come, or we do nothing... and if I arrive late she starts to ask me what's wrong with me, argh, I don't know if I explained myself.

anyway, thanks for the advice Zanne :)

I love your quote at the bottom. "None of us fit in with the group." It made me laugh out loud. I probably just woke up my husband (he likes to talk in the morning GRRR). Anyway, back to us!

Your teacher. Here's the translation of your teacher. Take out teacher and insert dog. You with me? If a dog did that to you, I would say, you just witnessed fight or flight. Dogs will not attack unprovoked. The problem is, I don't speak dog and neither do you, so the dog might thinks it provoked and attack. So, we (from the outside) think it was unprovoked.

You do not speak teacher. You gave it away when you said she is a new teacher and you don't know why sometimes she acts mean. She's attacking in an unprovoked manner, right? So, let's pick it apart like a Science experiment and see what's probably happening there. Here's what we know. She's a new teacher. You are usually liked by teachers. You are one of the best students. You also work half time. Now, I'm going to take that criteria, good job by the way, and tell you what's happening.

This is passive aggressive. Go back to the dog. The dog looks friendly but kind of scared. It's wagging its tail, but sitting and almost on it's back at that, head down, whites of the eyes showing. You think, wow, that dog feels like me. I'll go comfort it. You feel confident because dogs always like you. Dogs like you more than any of the other students. You were really good with dogs in the past. You reach out your open hand to pet the dog and the dog bites you. You have no idea why this happened and go to the clinic to get your stitches. After that, you are afraid of the dog.

Now, back to teacher. She's new. You are the favorite student of all teachers. You are a good student. You can work and go to school. You are the one in power in this situation but you don't see it. She knows you feel comfortable here. She can see that. She likes you because you are a good student and you hold down a job. But, here's the other side of the picture for her. If she allows the other students to see she likes you and prefers you, she will lose control of them. They will resent it and act out. They will cry unfair about grades. They will get jealous and she knows this. Then, there's coming in late occasionally. She does understand why you do that and probably admires the fact that you can and you can keep up, but - if she shows that in any way, the other students will pick up on it and resent her. They will start crying favoritism and she could even end up losing her job over it. All you know is that you get along with your teachers and do good work. So, you reach out and ouch! She bites you. She is afraid that if she acts friendly to you, it could have disastrous results. So, she bites you verbally. In the dog world, they call that fear biting.

So, just see that as what it is. Your teacher has to establish her credibility in the classroom and she isn't very smooth about it yet. She doesn't have the confidence. Some have it and some are afraid. She is afraid, but I'm sure she likes you and appreciates you. She just has to stay on her guard because she feels she can't show it.

Does that make sense?

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 6:55 am

I think there are positives in Asperger's (the excellent memory, High intelligence, Strong level of knowledge in particular areas and Able to offer others a new perspective etc). However AS can be very lonely, isolating and frustrating. As I dont know any different I cannot say if I would want to be cured I think on balance probably as it would make life easier.

sun_rat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2007, 6:55 am

ZanneMarie wrote:

What is it you do for a living? I work in technology so my strangeness isn't really all that noticeable. Geeks aren't too normal themselves. Do you write or paint? Do you have interests? Does anyone act protective around you, male or female? Try to get into groups where your strangeness isn't so noticeable instead of pretending to be normal. Be yourself. You can't base a relationship on a mythical you anyway. That won't work. It only attracts people who don't accept you the way you are but want to use you. (I get the stalkers too every once in awhile, so I know what you mean about them.) Try to find a techie group, a group of professors, scientists, gamers, artists. Those are all strange lots. Heck, that's a significant portion of the population! Hang with those people and be yourself, whatever that is. Yes, the NTs liked me anyway because I brought out the protector in them (that's why they are attracted to me, I don't kid myself here). I can only handle them for so long though. My very best friend is an Aspie and we get along great for Aspies! Which means we are weird by all other standards. So what? We like each other. My NT husband, God bless him, he's too OCD to be with a normal woman. She might actually care about the house and have an opinion! Oh my God, it would be the end of the world for him. The NTs just see that he's good looking and social. They don't actually live with him. But, we work so that's what counts. Maybe it was luck, but we also didn't try to hide who we were. Maybe that was all it took. I dont know. Just be who you are. Get into places where you can find someone who mixes with that.

well, first of all, i never EVER thought i was the strange one. i have gone through my whole life just not understanding people. i work in IT. i am a poet and a musician.
and i have always been who i am, because i don't know how to be any other way.
i never knew about aspergers until 3 years ago, so i never tried to "fit in" with NT people. i never understood that there were real concrete differences. i just thought i was ostracized for no reason at all.
i am completely on my own with my kids since my divorce 7 years ago, and i don't have people to protect me, if that is what you mean. i didn't even know i needed protecting.
i have only ever socialized with people who are into my obsessions.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:03 am

sun_rat wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:

What is it you do for a living? I work in technology so my strangeness isn't really all that noticeable. Geeks aren't too normal themselves. Do you write or paint? Do you have interests? Does anyone act protective around you, male or female? Try to get into groups where your strangeness isn't so noticeable instead of pretending to be normal. Be yourself. You can't base a relationship on a mythical you anyway. That won't work. It only attracts people who don't accept you the way you are but want to use you. (I get the stalkers too every once in awhile, so I know what you mean about them.) Try to find a techie group, a group of professors, scientists, gamers, artists. Those are all strange lots. Heck, that's a significant portion of the population! Hang with those people and be yourself, whatever that is. Yes, the NTs liked me anyway because I brought out the protector in them (that's why they are attracted to me, I don't kid myself here). I can only handle them for so long though. My very best friend is an Aspie and we get along great for Aspies! Which means we are weird by all other standards. So what? We like each other. My NT husband, God bless him, he's too OCD to be with a normal woman. She might actually care about the house and have an opinion! Oh my God, it would be the end of the world for him. The NTs just see that he's good looking and social. They don't actually live with him. But, we work so that's what counts. Maybe it was luck, but we also didn't try to hide who we were. Maybe that was all it took. I dont know. Just be who you are. Get into places where you can find someone who mixes with that.

well, first of all, i never EVER thought i was the strange one. i have gone through my whole life just not understanding people. i work in IT. i am a poet and a musician.
and i have always been who i am, because i don't know how to be any other way.
i never knew about aspergers until 3 years ago, so i never tried to "fit in" with NT people. i never understood that there were real concrete differences. i just thought i was ostracized for no reason at all.
i am completely on my own with my kids since my divorce 7 years ago, and i don't have people to protect me, if that is what you mean. i didn't even know i needed protecting.
i have only ever socialized with people who are into my obsessions.

So are there guys also into those obsessions who are potentials or who could introduce you to potentials?

I never think I need protecting but somehow they think I do. That or stalking. Behavior I just don't get.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 8:48 pm

Look people who are whinning about all the negative affects of AS. I'm content. I've suffered through depression even near killing my self. That's one of the down falls but I have lived my live mostly as a loner. Friends offline how do I keep them? What are friends outside of internet. I've got family the distance between us has been lessening. All in all living my life for Christ Jesus son of God. Has helped a lot without being a Christian I'll probably be dead by now. Long ago I would have died.

Cordelia
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Feb 2007, 9:28 pm

I like the pack of dogs concept. I'll use that....thank you. I just saw it at work today; and it was terrible. People do want to have a pecking order.

Also, I'll testify to the fact that the Good Lord is constantly helping me. I thank Him everyday, I ask Him to forgive those things I've done and left undone.

If I hadn't found him and my church; I would be really lonely right now. People that are true believers have more patience, I think maybe it's becuse they don't have to "see" something to believe.

Also, the Bible is full of stories of people with AS;-)))

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:33 pm

It is sick! I would LOVE to have been where some of you guys are! I had to practically beg/borrow/steal to get things to study. YOU have the internet. With ME, everything was manual. With YOU you have computers! I thought I was alone, and NO goals outside of my interests or "peers". I was looking at the wrong people as my peers. YOU can be more realistic. ALSO, I have been told ALL MY LIFE I could do things I couldn't, and that I couldn't do things I could. YOU know BETTER!

HECK, I didn't even understand people, and tried to err on caution. If I knew what I know, I would have taken more chances earlier.

So WHY did I use johnny five as an avatar? He was expected to speak in monotone, but didn't! He was expected to have no emotion, but DID! He was thought to be far dumber than he was. He was judged based on other robots. He STRUGGLED to get stuff to study. He learned fast and well. He was underestimated! He was CHEATED and abused! He ended up getting hurt, and had to take care of himself. In short, he was a lot like I am, etc....

Steve

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:45 pm

Cordelia wrote:
I like the pack of dogs concept. I'll use that....thank you. I just saw it at work today; and it was terrible. People do want to have a pecking order.

Also, I'll testify to the fact that the Good Lord is constantly helping me. I thank Him everyday, I ask Him to forgive those things I've done and left undone.

If I hadn't found him and my church; I would be really lonely right now. People that are true believers have more patience, I think maybe it's becuse they don't have to "see" something to believe.

Also, the Bible is full of stories of people with AS;-)))

Pecking order is terrible. The pack of dogs is not for you to see all NTs as dogs (LOL), just that particular behavior. It just reduces it down to something you can deal with. Unfortunately for all of us, that primitive behavior is in the subconcious and we do it and aren't even aware of it. They may get caught up in that and we may get caught up in obsessing over things they do as if it only happens to AS people. So, we both have our struggles. But, if we can start to see those for what they are, we can begin to take away their power over us and start to change things.

As to Christians, I was raised strict Baptist and we had to go through the bible over and over. It is full of stories of Jesus defending the downtrodden and persecuted. I used to work with a woman who used to say (when people would say something mean or catty), "Shame on you! What would Jesus say if he were here right now?" She always shut that behavior right down. No one else could get away with that, but she did. I thought that was pretty good. Because the truth is, many times he would have something to say...to all of us.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 12:34 am

ZanneMarie wrote:
So, just see that as what it is. Your teacher has to establish her credibility in the classroom and she isn't very smooth about it yet. She doesn't have the confidence. Some have it and some are afraid. She is afraid, but I'm sure she likes you and appreciates you. She just has to stay on her guard because she feels she can't show it.

Does that make sense?

Yes! That must be it, being new and all that, in a need to establish her credibility, and yes, she isn't doing it in a very smooth way.

:oops: sorry to have woken up your husband, I also when I first read the quote laughed a lot :)

SteveK, I have in my quotes "we are the robots", to remind me that, like Johny five, we might look like a robot, monotone voice and all that, but we are more than that :)