Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

einsteinmyhero
Toucan
Toucan

01 Apr 2014, 6:53 am

Emotions are a mess for me.I have a lack of them except for:1)sadness2)anger3)happiness4)blank

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:00 am

Do you ever get surprised by something? That's an emotion. Do you get irritated by your "lack of emotion?" That's an emotion as well. Are you shocked that there isn't enough awareness of the problems of the people with autism? That's an emotion as well.

I would bet that you experience more emotions than you think. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong. LOL.....then, you'd be frustrated (another) by my inability to understand you.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:14 am

Yeah, sometimes I feel a lot and don't know what I am feeling. It just feels like an avalanche of sorts. Sometimes you may feel much more or much stronger than you are able to identify. This can be confusing. It can be for me anyway. Sometimes I have a feeling like I am lost.

Wreck It Ralph

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 7:51 am

It can help to kind of step back and look at your thoughts and feelings later on. That helps you analyze your feelings and learn to recognize them the next time they happen.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

01 Apr 2014, 8:12 am

I like blank. More people need to work on that one. It is a very special ability. :D

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 8:22 am

Even when you're blank and content, don't you still fee the emotion known as contentment?

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Apr 2014, 10:06 am

My emotions can be completely exaggerated, sometimes inappropriate/opposite, finding humour in very sad situations for example, or even non-existent/blank in situations where most people would be terrified. It doesn't mean I don't care deeply, i guess those reactions are learnt because we find it to be quite effective; it allows us to sometimes think very clearly in stressful situations (we get a lot of practice at having to be logical in 'everyday' social stress).

I used to do things as a child to try to get adrenaline rushes because I never experienced them unless my heart/conscience was suddenly hurt, never if others were frightened or nervous, on a rollercoaster for example. I think our emotions are more mixed up/detached from our instincts than most, so we can revert to our logic too much, then notice we feel numb. Remember that you are more in control than you think and you don't need that "rawness" to recognise an emotion and act on it- It might just take a few seconds/minutes longer. Just make sure you know at what point you are in danger, and when to act even if you don't "feel" scared.

Also, science says that the more you fake an emotion, the more you'll feel it too- so get smiling in the mirror whenever you feel blank. At the very least you'll "feel" ridiculous!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 10:13 am

AlienorAspie wrote:
My emotions can be completely exaggerated, sometimes inappropriate/opposite, finding humour in very sad situations for example, or even non-existent/blank in situations where most people would be terrified. It doesn't mean I don't care deeply, i guess those reactions are learnt because we find it to be quite effective; it allows us to sometimes think very clearly in stressful situations (we get a lot of practice at having to be logical in 'everyday' social stress).

I experience this sort of thing too. My mother also says that I am very calm in crisis situations. I usually feel the panic after it's over. I wonder if what you said could be a reason for that AlienorAspie.

Wreck It Ralph

InTheDeepEnd
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Apr 2014, 12:34 pm

I feel things that I don't know the words for. I find it helps to write down what I am thinking in a journal and then when it passes I can go back, read it, and analyze what emotion that sounds like.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2014, 1:12 pm

Fear?

Im sure you must have that in repitoire.