Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:35 am

I am seeing a new therapist, and she has informed me that my speech pattern is "educated" and I use large words. I already knew I use large words, but could educated mean pendetic, sort of like speaking like a professor? How common is this speech pattern among both the high IQ and the Asperger's community? I am still trying to figure out if I'm really an autism spectrum case or if my intelligence and other mental disorders and just simulating AS, mental health professionals don't agree on my case.

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 9:48 am

To me, "educated" speech is usually more complex than "casual" speech. A wider variety and adjectives and verbs as employed. Syntax is more complex.. Additionally, the "accent" veers away from the vernacular "accent," and toward what may be termed an "academic model" which is more centralized, with less extreme manifestation as found within vernacular accents.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:07 am

My speech becomes much more formal depending on whom I am speaking to and sometimes even depending on the subject matter. It can also vary if I am anxious or nervous. Do you speak like this all the time or just in certain specific situations?

Wreck It Ralph

jrjones9933
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:12 am

Educated doesn't necessarily mean pedantic. It could just mean using the prestige dialect rather than the local dialect. People used to ask me if I came from England, probably because they'd never heard someone who didn't have a Southern drawl.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 11:24 am

I think the meaning of 'educated speech' in that context is entirely dependent on the person using it.

Most commonly it refers to the accent, pronunciation and rhythm of your speech. Aka British-like accent.
It can also refer to your choice of words as being precise and 'advanced' compared to common street-speech. A more advanced vocabulary and eloquence when using it.

I've never heard that term used to describe 'little professor' like pedantic speech though.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 1:06 pm

Aspies use langauge differently than NT's. We tend to speak a bit more formally and in an effort to be more technically precise in our speech, often use "less common" words or more "technical" words.

This comes across as "educated" as you describe. It's why aspie kids are sometimes called "little professors".

One of my own example of this is my tendancy to use a lot of "quotation marks" in my writing when it's probably not needed, making my writing seem more formal - I know I do it but often forget that I am doing it 8O

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 1:12 pm

I think it's okay to speak different. It's okay to have "educated" speech practice. Of course, still treat other people as equals. Please assume other people are smart in their areas of interest.

Perhaps think in terms of engagement, not conformity.

And of course your therapist should accept you as you are.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2014, 1:21 pm

On the question of whether you're on the Spectrum, and I think it's fine to be Aspie-lite or Aspie-friendly, so okay---

The professional psychological community has tended to view the Spectrum from the outside looking in. They haven't really listened to enough people on the Spectrum in a noncategorizing manner. And that is why DSM-4 paid very little attention to sensory issues, and at one point referred to them as "odd" reactions or something like that (!) (!) (!) You think about this a certain way, it's absolutely incredible. DSM-5 is somewhat of an improvement, but still a long way to go.