Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 9:32 pm

As I have mentioned in some of my posts before, I love to color. It really soothes me sometimes when I am feeling particularly anxious. I love children's coloring books rather than adult ones because the adult ones are more like kaleidoscope images rather than more real like pictures. I recently got a coloring book about Disney Princesses and their horses and I was really excited about coloring in it because of the horses and the princess's pretty dresses. But on the back cover of the book it has pictures of each Princess and her horse and so you can see what colors they are. The problem is that most of the horses and dresses are white or a shade of white or cream. This makes it challenging because it does not give you much to color and since I use colored pencils because they are easier for me to hold the whites don't even show up on the page. Well I tried to convince myself that I could color the dresses and horses any color I want, I mean I am sure these princesses have more than one dress in their wardrobes. The problem is that no matter how logical that is and how much sense it makes, I can't seem to make myself do it. And the thought of coloring the horses colors that they are not, well I can't wrap my head around that. I keep thinking that if the horse is a different color he can't be her horse he would have to be a different horse. And I noticed that in my other themed coloring books, I have to color the characters as close to their exact correct colors as my pencils allow or I can't settle. I even get anxious about this. I have a cow coloring book too and it's the life of one dairy cow. I colored her patches a certain color and every single page I make her patches match so that they are correct. Even if I know that I have the freedom to change the colors and especially in my princess book I really should, I just can't make myself do it. And trying to do it makes me anxious. And since coloring is very relaxing for me I don't want to get anxious over a coloring technicality so I have to very careful when I buy a book so that I don't get stuck with one that has a lot of whites.

I also color perfectly within the lines and I actually pay close attention to my pencil strokes. This might be from a traumatic coloring experience when I was four though. I had put a ton of effort into a picture from my Lassie coloring book and I really worked hard on it. I was so proud when I was done and then I showed it to a very significant adult in my life and all he said was that it was ugly because I colored outside the lines. I never got over that and to this day, almost half a century later, it still hurts like the day it happened. So now I color with particular perfect meticulousness. But it really is very soothing for me to do that and the more perfectly and meticulously I color the more it relaxes me.

Does this seem really weird or can anyone relate? Could this be an Aspie thing?

Wreck It Ralph

wozeree
Veteran
Veteran

12 Apr 2014, 9:46 pm

In other words, you're being so anal retentive about relaxing that it's stressing you out. Haha, good one!

I do that too, except it's more like organizing information on the computer that does it to me - writing programs to do it, databases, spreadsheets, etc. I know exactly what you mean! Don't know how to stop it though, except to will yourself too.

Re the pencils though, i was playing with my paints the other day and happened to see a bottle of nail polish sitting nearby and picked it up - wah ah ever since then i've been experimenting, mixing my polish with my paints - you can't do it at the same time though because they don't mix well when they're both wet. The point being, white nail polish would probably show up on your horses - you may not want to go that far though! :D

I would say just try to think FUN and not perfection, which is probably not much help. alas!

IamRob
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Apr 2014, 11:50 pm

Hey skibum ,i can relate to that .coloring the wrong colors and outside the lines never felt right,the strokes aswell needed to be in line,ramdomness seemed uneficiant.maybe its a logic thing.
A blue monkey ,come on :D

BornThisWay
Toucan
Toucan

13 Apr 2014, 12:47 am

I know it sounds counter-intuitive, but the most effective way to get whites is to draw in the grays and other colors that define the image. Look very carefully at the white horses on the primary image you are copying/referencing...you will notice that it is not really white at all, but is play of subtle grays and other tones that emphasize the white highlights of the image. Play very carefully with those grays and be careful to retain the highlighted areas of the plain paper...This is how a professionally trained artist creates 'white'...
Also, have you ever considered coloring the backgrounds of your pictures? Are they white in the reference image on the back of your coloring book? I know, that it sounds like I'm telling you to color outside the lines, but really, it's just a matter of controlling the entire picture...good luck and enjoy! It's wonderful to find something that is soothing and productive.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 9:10 am

Thank you for your advise everyone. I am going to try the grays and see how it goes. :D

Wreck It Ralph

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Apr 2014, 9:13 am

I still have trouble coloring within the lines to this day :oops: