Page 3 of 4 [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 12:38 am

Stannis wrote:
Eloa wrote:

Car-drivers are poisoning my lungs every day, and I'd rather be in a closed space like a closed garage with one person smoking than one person in a car letting the engine run.

I think that you are subtly saying that I am morally equivalent to a smoker because I drive. There are a few problems with that:

1- I don't drive, I ride my bike to work.
2- I don't like the fossil fuel industry, and advocate renewables.
3- I don't like to stand around cars with their motor running either, nor do I inflict it on other people.
4- The cars outside don't result in my being lethargic at best, and hospitalised at worst. The people smoking around me do. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/3590578.stm5
5- Why can't smoker's just use a vaporizor?

Note to smokers: Please stop making excuses your behaviour which you know is wrong, and you can easily control by using a vaporizor. The only reason you aren't
in jail for being junkies and inflicting death onto others is because of our corrupt legislators getting paid off by the criminal tobacco lobby.

Well clearly we disagree on morality I don't think smoking a cigarette should be a crime, what good would it do if they started arresting everyone for smoking? It would just cost taxpayers shedloads of money anyways, does the phrase live and let live mean anything to you.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 1:30 am

KB8CWB wrote:
I would be lost without my nicotine and caffeine! I gave up cigs on 8 Apr 2013 and have vaped using an ecig since. I get more grief from people now that I've quit then when I smoked combustibles. Some days it is making me want to go out and get some real cigs just to piss them off. I do however feel much better not smoking cigs. What annoys me are the busybodies that insist on chastising others when they have habits that are as bad/annoying or worse. I can be outside vaping and one annoying neighbour lady will start hacking and coughing as soon as I start. Glaring at me and making snide comments. Lately I have been cranking the wattage just to annoy her further! Makes for some wicked clouds at the higher wattage! :twisted:

That coughing crap is really annoying. I don't know why people do that. The PG in the liquid breaks down into water and CO2. As if that one part per billion of water vapor that you add to the air is really going to irritate their lungs :roll: and as if such an obviously moronic attempt at manipulation is going to make me stop vaping :roll: I mean, do they expect me to pretend that they're not full of s**t or something?

Bodyles
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 3:10 am

ShotgunRider wrote:
I don't smoke and have never done it. I've just never felt tempted to do it. NTs start it usually because of peer pressure. However, I have Asperger's, thus the idea of fitting in socially is irrelevant to me (I'm not trolling, this is just the way I see things).
My classmates have often tried to convince me to try a cigarette. but failed every time. I find it easy to refuse it, in fact it doesn't take me any willpower.
Anyway, I've never understood the point of smoking. It's an expensive habit which destroys your health. It makes no sense to me.
So, are people with ASDs less likely to smoke? Do you smoke?

People start smoking cigarettes for a lot of reasons, many of them having little to do with social pressure.
Having an ASD or not really has very little to do with it, I'd imagine.

I used to think like you do, when I was young and naive.
In fact I honestly thought I'd never start smoking.

I did though, for various reasons and certainly not on purpose, it just sort of happened.
I switched to ecigs over a year ago, though, which I like because I find nicotine helpful in various situations and it's somatically similar enough to acual smoking to mimic the stim/oral/visual effects, I feel a lot better, I can breathe better, and I don't smell like an ashtray.

mila_oblong
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 Apr 2014, 3:18 am

Well I smoked for nearly 2 years, funny thing is is that I never was once a chain smoker. It literally took me a month or two just to finish up a pack. I only smoked when I felt really depressed or anxious, plus I wasn't old enough to drink. I'm not off of cigarettes cold turkey, however, it is sporadic with me. That and I like the smell of cigarette smoke. I might switch to e-cigarettes though. I read that small dosages of nicotine do help to alleviate depression. The link to the study, which is nearly 8 years old.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/articles/2 ... depression

tweety_fan
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 4:00 am

I have never smoked. I get plenty of second hand smoke as it is.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 4:41 am

I do!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

Stannis
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2014, 10:01 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Vaporizer's should have solved this issue. Why aren't smoker's using them?

If you smoked cigarettes perhaps you'd understand....also though I don't think I am damaging anyone everytime I light up. If I smoke a cigarette out in front of my house and there is no one about then no one is breathing it. If someone walks by I am far enough into the yard where they aren't going to get a cloud of smoke in their face or if someone in my house who doesn't smoke comes out I am sitting somewhere out of the way where I can put it out if need be. If I smoke in public I do make a point to get out of the way to do it so people who don't smoke don't have to breath it.

But yeah I have not found a vape cigarette that is as satisfying as an actual cigarette, american spirt to be exact as that is the kind I smoke.

Snake Plissken smokes those. Convenient metaphor and product placement rolled into one cancer stick. It is a false metaphor though. It's not very libertarian to surround yourself in a cloud of death which poisons everyone you come into contact with.

I understand that smokers are junkies, and you can't just ban cigarettes without smokers going black market. That's why I would advocate harsh sentencing alongside legal access to non-smoke bound methods of nicotine delivery. I am not trying to tell people what they should be allowed to put in their bodies. Just what they are allowed to put into mine.

Schizpergers
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 Apr 2014, 8:12 am

Im a smoker. I find it greatly helps with some symptoms. I kind of want to quit and have before, but its like medication for me.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 8:57 am

Stannis wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:
Stannis wrote:

Vaporizer's should have solved this issue. Why aren't smoker's using them?

If you smoked cigarettes perhaps you'd understand....also though I don't think I am damaging anyone everytime I light up. If I smoke a cigarette out in front of my house and there is no one about then no one is breathing it. If someone walks by I am far enough into the yard where they aren't going to get a cloud of smoke in their face or if someone in my house who doesn't smoke comes out I am sitting somewhere out of the way where I can put it out if need be. If I smoke in public I do make a point to get out of the way to do it so people who don't smoke don't have to breath it.

But yeah I have not found a vape cigarette that is as satisfying as an actual cigarette, american spirt to be exact as that is the kind I smoke.

Snake Plissken smokes those. Convenient metaphor and product placement rolled into one cancer stick. It is a false metaphor though. It's not very libertarian to surround yourself in a cloud of death which poisons everyone you come into contact with.

I understand that smokers are junkies, and you can't just ban cigarettes without smokers going black market. That's why I would advocate harsh sentencing alongside legal access to non-smoke bound methods of nicotine delivery. I am not trying to tell people what they should be allowed to put in their bodies. Just what they are allowed to put into mine.

I don't concern myself with having to be libertarian...so not sure what you mean with that. Either way I don't see how harsh sentencing for smoking cigarettes would help anything. Yes its unhealthy, yes second hand smoke is unhealthy....but there are ways for people to have a bit of respect for each other....for instance I don't smoke around non-smokers when I am outside smoking I will find somewhere out of the way where I am not right in the path of random people for instance that way they don't have to breath anything, and I can still enjoy my cigarette without there being an issue. Seriously though there is so much crap in the air, and I doubt the majority of it comes from cigarette smoke....especially in many cities the air quality is pretty bad and would be even if no one smokes cigarettes.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 9:48 am

I am an ex-smoker and a current users of vaporizers.

When I smoked I tried to be mindful of others and do so where it is allowed and away from people so as not to expose them. I do the same now with ecigs however it really shouldn't be necessary. It just seems like the anti-smokers are so militant and obnoxious at times it gets to be old.

I never really understood when I worked the need for a co-worker to follow me into a smoking area wishing to speak. Then give me the lecture about smoking and chastising me for doing so. I went in there and no one forced them to follow. I got quite upset with that attitude and would tell them to f'off! Now that I NO longer smoke, I get the obnoxious ones that make out like I am killing them and smoking when in reality I am VAPING and what I am holding looks NOTHING like a cigarette. I have seriously had people wearing a ton of perfume or after shave that is very potent and nasty doing this and complain about my vaping. If anything, these people are turning me into a militant vaper.

Being respectful of others is most important and this obsession some have of imposing their values upon others makes me want to vomit. So really? You don't like smoking or vaping? Then stay the hell away from me as I am where I am supposed to be while enjoying my habit! :evil:

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Apr 2014, 10:18 am

I smoked for a short period when I was younger (high school). But the smell of it on my hands afterwards would make me nauseated. I smoked in an effort to try and fit in. I became a bit obsessed with the different brands, lighters, and package variations.

I do smoke a tobacco pipe a few times a year now. I really enjoy it. I kind of justify it because the tobacco I use comes from a local shop and they don't use any similar chemicals that cigarette manufacturers do.

I also used to smoke cigars with my father, in an attempt to find some common ground with him. But the taste of a cigar stays in your mouth for what seems like days. Thankfully he doesn't really smoke them anymore.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 12:55 pm

freddie_mercury wrote:
I do smoke a tobacco pipe a few times a year now. I really enjoy it. I kind of justify it because the tobacco I use comes from a local shop and they don't use any similar chemicals that cigarette manufacturers do.

I smoke American Spirits that don't have any excess chemicals...just tobacco, not that its really much healthier in reality.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Apr 2014, 2:08 pm

On and off. Always hated smoking, never liked the taste but when you're addicted you feel you need them. I've quit numerous times. I've quit now for over 2 weeks, and this time I don't plan on smoking again. It's a nasty habit with some terrible consequences when you get older. I'm nearly 30, it's time to stop before I end up with heart problems and what not.

capri0112
Raven
Raven

22 Apr 2014, 6:40 pm

I really enjoy a cigarette--especially menthol flavored--once in a great while (like, one or two maybe twice a year). I'd like to try vaporizer cigarettes. Since I have kids, I feel like I have to be really careful about smoking of any kind. If cigarettes were not unhealthy, stinky, or stigmatizing, I'd be a smoker.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2014, 7:09 pm

I smoked off and on for probably about 10 years, oddly was never addicted, I could go without it whenever I wanted to, for weeks, months. Finally it just lost all appeal for me.

Smoking is a common self-medication for ADHD, and many people with ASD have comorbid ADHD, or ADHD symptoms, so it's natural that some would pick up the habit.

TrippyPhysics
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

23 Apr 2014, 10:18 pm

i smoke weed for medicinal purposes i barely take meds only for low blood pressure n heart probs but weed helps with everything been smokin it for years but the only problem i have is NICOTINE:/ always been attracted to that i really needa stop smoking:(