Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

MarcelloP
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2014, 7:02 pm

When I am not listening to music my thoughts are usually going a thousand miles an hour and I can't focus on anything at all. When I do it's like a magical lightbulb suddenly turns on and I instantly hyperfocus on whatever I need to do. I swear its almost like drugs. Anyone else like this?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:10 pm

wish I could do like that, but I am a monotasker and so I can't listen to music while doing anything else, unless I stop paying attention to the music.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:10 pm

Yes. I can be like that as well. I often have racing incessant thoughts and music I like can get me to focus on the music and rest my mind and it helps me do things like paying bills and folding laundry.

Wreck It Ralph

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2014, 7:19 pm

auntblabby wrote:
wish I could do like that, but I am a monotasker and so I can't listen to music while doing anything else, unless I stop paying attention to the music.

Me too. Except I can't stop paying attention to the music, so I can only do really simple or repetitive things while there's music on.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2014, 7:23 pm

Ooooh yes. Without music I can't function when I'm "working". I've had this track on repeat all day ...

https://soundcloud.com/joshuamorse/turtle-dance-2

You'll love it if you like Chiptunes. I show everyone this song because I think it's awesome, and they're all like "meh". But this song is a drug to me at the moment.

MarcelloP
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2014, 7:25 pm

I just find silence oppressive for some reason, it drives me insane. Sometimes when I'm trying to get to sleep at night I have to get up and listen to something or watch a tv show, because my mind is swimming with math problems, logic problems, things that happened to me during the day, conversations I had, etc, and my thoughts just refuse to shut up.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:26 pm

I like having brown noise on in the background while I'm working.

jayjayuk
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Apr 2014, 7:27 pm

MarcelloP wrote:
I just find silence oppressive for some reason, it drives me insane. Sometimes when I'm trying to get to sleep at night I have to get up and listen to something or watch a tv show, because my mind is swimming with math problems, logic problems, things that happened to me during the day, conversations I had, etc, and my thoughts just refuse to shut up.

"math and logic problems" ... Discrete mathematics by any chance? You sound like a programmer.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:28 pm

sidelines wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Me too. Except I can't stop paying attention to the music, so I can only do really simple or repetitive things while there's music on.

in that respect you are outperforming me :wtg:

MarcelloP
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Apr 2014, 7:30 pm

jayjayuk wrote:
MarcelloP wrote:

"math and logic problems" ... Discrete mathematics by any chance? You sound like a programmer.

I do web design as a hobby. I know HTML, Javascript, C++, C# and Python. My day job is taxes (which thankfully is over today)

sidelines
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Apr 2014, 7:42 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I like having brown noise on in the background while I'm working.

So do I - I have a little fan heater that is almost always running when I work. At some point I realised that I need it just as much, if not more, for the sound it makes as for temperature regulation.

auntblabby wrote:
sidelines wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

in that respect you are outperforming me :wtg:

Well, that'd definitely be the only aspect in which I'm outperforming anyone at the moment... :roll:

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:56 pm

MarcelloP wrote:

Yes - and there doesn't really seem to be such a thing as total silence. If there's no other sound, my head rings. Mostly, though, any extraneous sound is distracting, and having music on covers all the other noise with something more pleasant and consistent. The only time I don't have music playing is when I'm watching TV, otherwise it's 24/7. At night it's turned down very low, but it's still playing.

I don't know whether or not it particularly improves my focus, I still have a hard time getting down to the task at hand, but once I'm in the zone, it does keep the audible distractions to a minimum.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 7:59 pm

MarcelloP wrote:
When I am not listening to music my thoughts are usually going a thousand miles an hour and I can't focus on anything at all. When I do it's like a magical lightbulb suddenly turns on and I instantly hyperfocus on whatever I need to do. I swear its almost like drugs. Anyone else like this?

It's the opposite for me, I can't focus on anything while music is playing.

MjrMajorMajor
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 8:05 pm

MarcelloP wrote:

Very much so, except I feel like I'm in an overwhelmed daze without it. I need music to cook or clean, and usually for driving too. It gets me mentally unstuck and moving forward.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 8:09 pm

I sure wished I could listen to music while I drive, but I do so at my peril.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2014, 8:28 pm

When I was in high school and college and doing an lot of math and physics, I listened to Bach to help me do the problems. Now I compose music as a hobby, so I don't listen to music while I'm doing that, and the other things I have to do for my work are so simple that I don't need to have music on. Anyway, I think that music helps doing mathematical problems