Page 4 of 23 [ 364 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 23  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 12:44 am

Can't we all just get along?

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Apr 2014, 4:02 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The bullying thing is kind of misrepresented. It may be that lots of children are bullied but bullying varies - some are bullied a bit here and there, and some are bullied relentlessly, and the latter is not a common experience. It is, however, more likely to happen to children on the spectrum than to many other children.

Also what Mila Oblong posted.

The latter is actually more common than you think. I disagree with the part I bolded in your post. Why do you say that? My sister got bullied "relentlessly" and she is 100% NT NO aspie traits at all. I pretty much looked at people who bullied me like they were strange and they usually backed off. I'm aspie.

No, it is not more common than I think. Statistical data presented indicates it is as common as I think.

You're not a statistical trend, and neither is your sister. No single person is a statistical trend. You are of course free to disagree with the part that you bolded in my post but in doing so you are factually wrong. The fact of the matter is that statistically, autistic children are more likely to experience harsh bullying.

Quote:
From what I've heard.. my mum volunteers at a public advice place.. lots of NTs ring up about extensive severe harassment and bullying. It's definitely nowhere near an "aspie" problem.

This is called anecdotal evidence. Finding NTs who were bullied as harshly as or more harshly than autistic people does not mean that NTs are as likely or more likely to be harshly bullied than autistic people.

I never claimed that only autistic children are bullied. I claimed quite the opposite, but I pointed out that an autistic child is more likely to experience severe bullying than an NT child. I posted links that support this statement later in the thread.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

24 Apr 2014, 4:09 am

hale_bopp wrote:
starvingartist wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
Aharon wrote:

I agree with this. While anyone can be bullied, I can see where people with ASD are perhaps more likely to be bullied and less apt to deal with it appropriately, making them more likely, perhaps, to become bullied more often and more extensively because our "easy target" ratios may be higher then NT's of the same age. It would be interesting to see some statistics on this topic.

Here you go:

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/survey-find ... m-bullied/ - 63% of autistic children bullied, three times more likely than their NT siblings to be bullied.

New data show children with autism bullied three times more frequently than their unaffected siblings (link)

And a study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22945284

Also another article discussing trauma due to bullying. (link)

^did no one see this post? looks to me like there is some evidence suggesting one is more likely to be bullied as a child if one is on the spectrum.

I don't think you can catergorise children to "on the spectrum" and "not on the spectrum". This girl at primary school had 6 toes for example. This boy had big thick glasses. Another kid had freckles and red hair, another kid had poor parents. If 90% of kids bully kids on the spectrum, i'd bet that 90% of kids would be horrible about the above things and many, many more.

You can categorize children to be on the spectrum and not on the spectrum. This is done by diagnosing children with autism spectrum disorder, autism, Asperger Syndrome, PDD-NOS, etc. That is one of the many things those diagnoses mean.

Quote:
There is no evidence to suggest that being on the spectrum is any worse than having something else wrong with you that makes you less "blend in". The fact is, there are so many things kids get bullied about, kids on the spectrum are a tiny % of that.

So, is the takeaway here that you do not know what the word "evidence" means?

The links I posted discuss evidence that does in fact suggest that being on the spectrum results in a higher likelihood of being bullied. You seem to be unclear on what this means. You are correct that children are bullied for many reasons. You do not seem to want to accept the fact that being on the spectrum is a fairly high risk for being bullied.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 4:15 am

hale_bopp wrote:
In answer to the bolded part, yes, but that wasn't what I meant. I meant there are more than 2 categories of children.

Literally no one said there are only two categories of children.

Quote:
It's like bringing an obese person hamburgers to keep them happy because the long term reality of losing weight for true health and happiness is too hard.

Fat hatred coupled with a complete lack of understanding of how losing weight works. You can be thin and unhealthy. You can be fat and healthy. It's mainly prejudice about body weight and superficial standards of appearance that places moral weight on a fat person's choice to eat certain kinds of foods as compared to a thin person's. You're indulging in "prejudice" rather than science, and it shows.

Last edited by Verdandi on 24 Apr 2014, 4:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 4:16 am

hale_bopp wrote:
I was reading a few threads tonight.. and It seems quite common here for people to have a victim complex.

I mean saying things like "I was geeky at school and got bullied", "I didn't date until my 20s" "I had pimples" "I asked a girl out and she said "no"

Well, those all fall under a really harsh and common disorder called "life".

Why is it so hard to put your diagnosis aside and accept a lot of the problems we face are not aspergers problems or woe is me things.. they actually happen to most people! These things all happened to me - an aspie. Also to my Mum, (NT), Sister (NT) and pretty much 90% of the people I know.

The examples that you've given have nothing to do with "being a victim", nor have I seen people here attribute having dealt with any of those examples with being a "victim". We are all obviously at a huge disadvantage compared to the general public because of AS, denying that serves no purpose aside from deluding ourselves and keeping us from adapting to the situation. Without adapting ourselves to cope with life, we leave ourselves open to becoming a victim, but again, none of the examples you've given have anything to do with victimization (with the exception of possibly being bullied, if severe enough).

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 5:30 am

Verdandi wrote:
You can categorize children to be on the spectrum and not on the spectrum. This is done by diagnosing children with autism spectrum disorder, autism, Asperger Syndrome, PDD-NOS, etc. That is one of the many things those diagnoses mean.

I'm not going to answer this again, read my post up there.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 5:31 am

Jaden wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
I was reading a few threads tonight.. and It seems quite common here for people to have a victim complex.

I mean saying things like "I was geeky at school and got bullied", "I didn't date until my 20s" "I had pimples" "I asked a girl out and she said "no"

Why is it so hard to put your diagnosis aside and accept a lot of the problems we face are not aspergers problems or woe is me things.. they actually happen to most people! These things all happened to me - an aspie. Also to my Mum, (NT), Sister (NT) and pretty much 90% of the people I know.

The examples that you've given have nothing to do with "being a victim", nor have I seen people here attribute having dealt with any of those examples with being a "victim".

I'm not going to answer this again, read my post up there.

I stand by what I said, even if it is worded poorly. There are a lot of people who put across victim complexes. They would be happier if they remedied it.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 6:08 am

It isn't that it's poorly worded. The thought is wrong.

There is a tiny bit of truth in it: the idea that people would be better of making the most of whatever their circumstances may be. But the rest is blaming the victim for noticing that they are being victimized.

I usually see this error applied to dark skinned people who notice skin prejudice. They are told that voicing their perceptions is creating a problem where none exists. The argument is wrong in both cases.

It is undeniably true that making the most of your lot and accentuating the positive is likely to result in better outcomes. It is also true that autistic people are treated badly because of their differences. Denying this won't make it better.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 6:37 am

hale_bopp wrote:
Jaden wrote:
hale_bopp wrote:
There are a lot of people who put across victim complexes. They would be happier if they remedied it.

Do you have a proposal for remedying it? For most people, certainly for me, the remedy for feeling victimized is being treated with respect, since it counters the problem of being victimized. But that requires a change in the world that is only possible occasionally, by a few people. Overall, there is a lot of bullying and victimizing that goes on, and toward a lot of people. Especially people with ASDs, but toward many, many people. It might be interesting though to discuss possible solutions, even if they are only fantasy.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2014, 7:07 am

hale_bopp wrote:

I ask myself the same thing.
I think that, generally, it's hard to put your diagnosis aside (whatever it may be, I'm not meaning just Asperger's) and accept that some things that happen in life are not caused by it.
I see it even with my NT classmates that ask me about disorders because they think I know much about them.
"I am good at all subject except math... Kiara, may it be that I have ADHD?"
No, they just aren't good at math because it's in their nature.
"My relationships don't last more than a few months... May it be borderline?"
No, they're just teens and it's normal at that age to have relationships that don't last long; it's an exception if one lasts more than a year.
"I am nerdy, I hate sports and am a little shy... Kiara, maybe I have Asperger's?"
No, being "a little shy" doesn't mean you have Asperger's, nor hating sports does. Some people with AS like sports and/or practice them; not all people with Asperger's are shy and not all shy people have Asperger's.
The only fact that they ask me instead of asking a real psychiatrist makes you understand they don't know anything about the disorders they think they have. They are just people who want to explain their problems with a disorder while the cause is just their personalities/life or that just want to have an excuse for their behaviour.
I agree that those things happen to NTs just as much as they happen to people with Asperger's. Actually, some of the things you listed never happened to me/heppened to me not as much as they happened to NTs I know.

Quote:
"I was geeky at school and got bullied"

Half of the NTs I know got bullied way more than I did.
My father is not NT and he was never bullied.
People who get bullied the most are the "geeky", "nerdy", "weird" ones, NTs or not. Most autistics happen to look "nerdy" or "weird" and this is why they get bullied.

Quote:
"I didn't date until my 20s"

My mother ("common" NT) never dated until she was 21, that's when she met my father who has been her only boyfriend and then husband.

Quote:
"I had pimples"

Almost all the people in my class have them and they're all NTs. I don't have them.

Quote:
"I asked a girl out and she said "no"

Jacob (NT classmate of mine) was turned down a lot of times.

I think pretty much every human being has the "victim complex" to a certain extent. Some have it more, some have it less or almost not at all. BUt we're all humans.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:17 am

To the OP I have used this forum to make positive change in my life and discussing my problems here has been very helpful.

I have say this thread does not feel helpful regardless of your intentions.

IKnowWhoIAmNow
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 7:22 am

hale_bopp wrote:

Yes, but NTs have built-in coping strategies for the evils of life that we do not, so we are unfairly disadvantaged. Therefore it is correct to feel a victim complex - a victim of a disability that denies having us at least the same chances that an NT would have when faced with the same problems.

The way I always explain it to NTs is that for each of life's problems, NTs face a set of stairs that with some effort they can climb whereas we see a steep sheer impenetrable cliff face with no footholds towering over us.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:25 am

most people tend to blame their "differences from expectation" instead of their "methods of approach" for their lot in life

edited to add quotes to make the sentence legible.

Last edited by b9 on 24 Apr 2014, 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:43 am

I haven't posted on this thread yet, but after reading it I now feel bullied...

diablo77
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Apr 2014, 7:54 am

League_Girl wrote:
diablo77 wrote:
I don't consider getting bullied a normal part of life at all. Although I think part of the problem is that many people confuse being bullied and being picked on- they are two very different things. If a few kids at school tease you, that's not the same thing as being physically attacked, constantly harassed, having your personal belongings stolen or destroyed just for fun, etc. - that's what I consider bullying, and in my case it wasn't just one or two mean kids who acted that way, it was pretty much the whole school, because I was singled out as that one kid everyone has seemingly collectively decided to hate so they can feel better than someone. It also, unlike a typical getting-picked-on situation, wasn't just for a short time and then they moved on to the next target; it went on for years until I left the school system. I'm not here trying to say I'm a victim and anyone should feel sorry for me; I actually feel strong for having survived that and gone on to have a successful and happy life, but I know that what I went through was not a normal part of growing up, not something that happens to everyone, and not something that should just be shrugged off and treated as okay in a kids-will-be-kids kind of way.

I wasn't trying to say that someone whose experience was different from mine wasn't bullied, or that their experience of bullying wasn't traumatic, so I'm sorry if that's how it came across. I just meant to say that I know that what I personally experienced was more than just a normal part of growing up.
So that would mean I was never bullied by your definition. Whatever kids did then still put affect on me in the future. I didn't even use the word bully in my childhood. I just said I got teased or picked on or bugged. I didn't even know what bullying was.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:54 am

IKnowWhoIAmNow wrote:
Yes, but NTs have built-in coping strategies for the evils of life that we do not, so we are unfairly disadvantaged.

"we" is a sweeping term to use. it is curious that you feel so isolated, and yet you talk on behalf of all people with AS.
your generalizations about NT's are similarly ill considered in my opinion. what are the "evils of life" ? how are they "evil" if NT's have a built in method of coping with them? are they only "evil" with respect to people who have AS?

are all disadvantages unfair? how can fairness be considered with respect to nature? nature does not have anything to do with fairness or deservedness which are both constructs of cognition. as they say "it is just the way the cookie crumbles".

IKnowWhoIAmNow wrote:
Therefore it is correct to feel a victim complex - a victim of a disability that denies having us at least the same chances that an NT would have when faced with the same problems.

"victims" have already been vanquished. one is not a victim if one survives, despite how hard their fight for survival is.

i have autism to quite a considerable degree. i am not able to carry on a mature conversation with anyone for long. i do not see the seriousness in the world that so many others feel snagged and trapped by. i can not understand why people agonize over things that do not exist except for within their heads.

the wind blows, the sun shines, the trees rustle, the birds twitter and life rolls by without getting hung up on convoluted self images and other vortices of futile concern.

i have never been a victim of anything because i have just flowed with what life lays before me, and i do not believe that there is some ultimate measure of "fairness" involved at all.

IKnowWhoIAmNow wrote:
The way I always explain it to NTs is that for each of life's problems, NTs face a set of stairs that with some effort they can climb whereas we see a steep sheer impenetrable cliff face with no footholds towering over us.
speak for yourself i suggest.
i would not bother to climb a ladder to social status even if i saw one. as far as i am concerned i am quite happy on the ground. there is nothing up there for me.

in my opinion, the higher they climb, the farther they fall, and the more their fear of falling.
i like laying spread eagled on the ground more than tip toeing on a tightrope with the wolves of disapproval howling below.