Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Neonhusky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Apr 2014, 10:43 pm

(Excuse my poor writing, it was 11:40 PM)

There is one thing a lot of people have yet to detect about me, i have a TON of fake personalities. Which means that i will act differently towards a person depending on the rank, authority, status, or my personal knowledge of them. I hate to judge, especially before i know a person, though. Anyway, towards my school principal i am extremely cheery, the stereotypical upbeat person who is never upset, but with my own twist on it. Once when a corrupt substitute reported me for a false reason i went to the princibal and explained in a completely joyful tone that basically eliminated all suspicion towards me doing wrong and/or meaning anything unkind. Which was true, by the way, and he let me off the hook without even a warning . Towards the people at my table i am shy and dont like to interfere with decisions, mainly to disprove the spreading theory that i am a narcassistic jerk who dosent cate. Towards my friends i am comedic and upbeat, towards a certain bully i am a brat who replies to all their insults abrubtly with a smart alec comment (to most bullies i act much kinder C: i dont like to use comebacks, but this bully is so unkind its unimaginabe)

Is anyone else like this?

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 10:49 pm

I've found lately that I don't have a constant personality. There's too many contradictions.

My anxiety makes me angry, rude, and snappy. I do nice things occasionally, but I wonder if it's for selfish reasons rather than my just being a pleasant person. How I act depends on the people I'm with and my environment.

I have no idea what I'm really like.

em_tsuj
Veteran
Veteran

23 Apr 2014, 11:19 pm

less and less so as I get older. it takes too much energy.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 3:56 am

I don't think it's unusual to act differently with people you feel different about and different situations. just different modes and settings maybe rather than fake personalities. But i do mimic how certain characters i see on tv and movies act. it's always someone who has it together - usually a grown up. Like i've been watching a lot of the 2004 Battlestar Galactica on Netflix, so i've been Commander Adama lately.

Last edited by EzraS on 25 Apr 2014, 6:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

ExoMuseum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 Apr 2014, 4:32 am

yesyes i do that too, but i also, like, feel different around different people and i have no idea who i am, so my therapist spent a lot of time thinking there was nothing wrong because i read a lot and watch so many movies and know how to act around certain people, but i still get it wrong tho

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 4:40 am

It's a bit odd what happens to me when I'm around all different people.

I'm still trying to work it all out.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 5:55 am

There is a difference between persona and personality.

What you are describing are tactically deployed personas. This is very effective, adaptive behavior and almost all human beings do it more or less continuously.

If you really had multiple personalities, you would have an extremely rare, severe psychiatric disorder and you would likely not be aware of it, whichever one was logging in to WP and posting.

I wonder if it is more of an autistic characteristic to look at these tactic personas as fake because using the. Is harder for us, because their effectiveness has to be calibrated by observing their impact on others. This is precisely the kind of social communication that is impaired in autism.

I found the idea of persona liberating when I went to work because I knew my authentic self presentation was not very employable. I could adopt a persona that better fit the workplace and that made things somewhat easier. But it is very tiring.

This is one reason I quite like my 45 minute train commute at the end of the day. I can plug in my iPod and listen to a virology podcast or the sound of waves and just not have to be anything for a while.

ReticentJaeger
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:07 am

I forgot,

I also do 'steal' personalities from fictional characters I like. I don't really know what's real and what's fake.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:09 am

Adamantium wrote:
There is a difference between persona and personality... What you are describing are tactically deployed personas. This is very effective, adaptive behavior and almost all human beings do it more or less continuously.

This is my view also. I am who I always am, and being able to adapt my behaviors to effectively meet incoming challenges works well.

It is arguable that taken to extremes as a way of manipulating others to their disadvantage and my advantage could tend toward sociopathy, but I think that would indeed be a (hopefully) unlikely extreme.

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Apr 2014, 7:17 am

My personality changes depending on my mood and the situation. It rarely depends on people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:33 am

It's normal to "code-switch." I don't use poetic language to one who is, at present, attempting to fix my sink--unless he is wearing a Grecian Urn on his tee-shirt.

It's a matter of adapting to one's environment. There are times when I'm not perfect at it, and it might turn people off to me. For example, I always feel compelled to regale any audience with expressions of my dislike of "reality shows," even though they might be talking about the latest installment of one of those modern-day "soap operas." It goes against the grain of the conversation, and gets me into trouble. This is an example of not wanting to adapt my "personality" to the prevailing environment.

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 4:48 pm

I have worn many masks over the years. What it is I show varies by whom and where I am interacting.
Learning quickly enough which one to use can be a challenge.
My favorite mask to where is to be myself, however most situations call for something other than being a madman and proud of it.

And hey nice tardis,
My 14' scarf is currently being worn by one of my cacti. And I find great pleasure tormenting the cats with a remote controlled dalek.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 7:02 pm

As others already said doing this is part of everyday life for nearly all human beings! They adapt to situations, moods, people, what is expected of them etc
I think the difference is that autistics have more trouble sorting that out because for us if feels "fake" and we may not understand the social subtles behind it all.
but don't worry, this is normal. Unless:
1) you act so much you don't know who you are anymore
2) you suppress your true self or think that if you showed yourself you would be rejected
3) you have multiple personalities disorder

joestenr
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Apr 2014, 7:52 pm

@linatet,
I think that you need to drop #2, as that is essentially the experience that I had going through my 1st 35 years without an explanation as to why. Taking pride in your differences comes after you have come to terms with them, and for those who haven't fully gotten to be ok in their own skin, it it becomes another reason to feel broken.

"For success in science or art, a dash of autism is essential"
Hans Asperger

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2014, 8:15 pm

joestenr wrote:
@linatet,
I think that you need to drop #2, as that is essentially the experience that I had going through my 1st 35 years without an explanation as to why. Taking pride in your differences comes after you have come to terms with them, and for those who haven't fully gotten to be ok in their own skin, it it becomes another reason to feel broken.

I don't get it. If I understood well your explanation is exactly why number 2 is on the list, that if you suppress your true self you feel broken and probably need some help with self esteem etc

Neonhusky
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

25 Apr 2014, 6:56 am

Adamantium wrote:
There is a difference between persona and personality.

What you are describing are tactically deployed personas. This is very effective, adaptive behavior and almost all human beings do it more or less continuously.

If you really had multiple personalities, you would have an extremely rare, severe psychiatric disorder and you would likely not be aware of it, whichever one was logging in to WP and posting.

I wonder if it is more of an autistic characteristic to look at these tactic personas as fake because using the. Is harder for us, because their effectiveness has to be calibrated by observing their impact on others. This is precisely the kind of social communication that is impaired in autism.

I found the idea of persona liberating when I went to work because I knew my authentic self presentation was not very employable. I could adopt a persona that better fit the workplace and that made things somewhat easier. But it is very tiring.

This is one reason I quite like my 45 minute train commute at the end of the day. I can plug in my iPod and listen to a virology podcast or the sound of waves and just not have to be anything for a while.
haha, i know of dissociative identity disorder. But i have not heard of the term persona before. Thank you for that ^O^