Why do so many posts only mention aspies/Asperger's?

Page 3 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Why do so many posts only mention aspies/Asperger's?
Assumption that everyone here has Asperger's. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Only wanting to hear from other aspies. 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Not realizing non-aspies might share similar experienes. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Language thing/habit 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
It's like the assumption of heterosexuality. 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 72

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 2:49 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
many WP members are european and PDDNOS is almost non existant here as the ICD is the most commonly used diagnostic manual here not DSM,the ICD does not recognise PDDNOS.

Technically, there's no "PDD-NOS" in the ICD, but there are 'other' categories very similar to the old DSM's PDD-NOS:

F84.1 Atypical autism
F84.8 Other pervasive developmental disorders
F84.9 Pervasive developmental disorder, unspecified

F84 Pervasive Developmental Disorders:
A group of disorders characterized by qualitative abnormalities in reciprocal social interactions and in patterns of communication, and by a restricted, stereotyped, repetitive repertoire of interests and activities. These qualitative abnormalities are a pervasive feature of the individual's functioning in all situations.

http://www.usautism.org/definitions.htm

I'm diagnosed with F84.9.

linatet
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 2:57 pm

OJani wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:
many WP members are european and PDDNOS is almost non existant here as the ICD is the most commonly used diagnostic manual here not DSM,the ICD does not recognise PDDNOS.

Technically, there's no "PDD-NOS" in the ICD, but there are 'other' categories very similar to the old DSM's PDD-NOS:

F84.1 Atypical autism

A group of disorders characterized by qualitative abnormalities in reciprocal social interactions and in patterns of communication, and by a restricted, stereotyped, repetitive repertoire of interests and activities. These qualitative abnormalities are a pervasive feature of the individual's functioning in all situations.

I never understood PDD-NOS well... Why is it people may receive this diagnosis instead of autism? What is the difference? Aspergers to autism they say difference was no speech delay, what about pdd to autism?

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 3:47 pm

linatet wrote:
OJani wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:

F84.1 Atypical autism

I never understood PDD-NOS well... Why is it people may receive this diagnosis instead of autism? What is the difference? Aspergers to autism they say difference was no speech delay, what about pdd to autism?

Instead of referring to the usual scientific or non-scientific explanations, I'll give my opinion on it.

Ever since autism was part of the diagnostic systems there was a need to identify those who don't quite fit the criteria but still needed some kind of help. This is why 'PDD-NOS' was included (invented) in the first place. It was a safe way to tell 'Your child has something but it's not autism, don't fret'. Then Lorna Wing and co. re-discovered 'Autistic Psychopathy' aka Asperger's and made it a part of the diagnostic systems (although different criteria was created by different professors). It confused the docs to no end as studies pointed out while making preparations for the change to the new DSM-V. There is simply not a scientifically consistent clinical picture for either of the ASDs: AS, PDD-NOS, and autism; specific diagnostic labels vary (varied) highly across diagnostic centers for the same patients, while all centers proved to be reliable identifying whether the person in question is on the autism spectrum or not.

More info: http://www.autismconsortium.org/blog/de ... -disorders

Suhtek
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Apr 2014, 4:47 pm

The DSM V put all the separate "autism-like" disorders(including Asperger's) into one all encompassing Autism Spectrum. So, like the name suggests ASD( autism spectrum disorder) has a very wide range of symptoms.
I personally believe that labels are only useful if they help you know the nature of the beast you are dealing with.
They should not be used:
- as an excuse
- as a crutch
- to belittle others

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

28 Apr 2014, 4:57 pm

Suhtek wrote:
The DSM V put all the separate "autism-like" disorders(including Asperger's) into one all encompassing Autism Spectrum. So, like the name suggests ASD( autism spectrum disorder) has a very wide range of symptoms.
I personally believe that labels are only useful if they help you know the nature of the beast you are dealing with.
They should not be used:
- as an excuse
- as a crutch
- to belittle others

Well said.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 5:13 am

I think it is both habit and not understanding LFA's/elitism. I try and go by the wording used in the particular thread. If it's about Aspergers I tend to use that language. If I am not sure I use "on the spectrum". Or I use Aspie-Autistic as I am diagnosed as both and the more I look at myself I see myself in that borderline area between "Aspergers" and "Classic Autism" and HFA.

I will NEVER NEVER accept that a few elitists have destroyed the whole Aspergers identity that helped me and so many other at bad point in our lives. Jews don't willing give up their label because of Madeoff or because a few Jews helped tank the economy. Italians do not give up their identity because of the Mafia. Many of you are to young to remember but at the time of The Godfather movies came out Italian Americans were resentful of the stereotype and protested it. Blacks do not give up their identity because of the general publics associating them with crime. But a large if not a majority people diagnosed with Aspergers are ok with giving it up. They say time heals, the DSM 5 is here to stay just suck it up and deal with it. I find as time goes on I am more resentful about this not less

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

HarmonySeptember
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2014, 9:34 am

linatet wrote:
OJani wrote:
KingdomOfRats wrote:

F84.1 Atypical autism

As someone who is diagnosed with PDD-NOS, I have studied it a little, and it seems like the difference between PDD-NOS compared to other types of autism is that people like me don't fit all of the criteria for the autism diagnosis.

For example, I have a tenancy for "bolting" (getting lost) whenever I am in a crowd to the point where a diagnosis was needed. Whenever I am out somewhere, someone always needs to keep a close eye out for me; however, I don't think I am very socially impaired. I used to be before the diagnosis, but not anymore. This could be the reason that I am diagnosed with PDD-NOS.

All in all, I think that we just need to understand that we live in a neurodiverse world, and there are just different names for the different kinds of diversity in order to give everyone a chance to get the help that they need. I hope that people realize that this is the only reason.

Last edited by HarmonySeptember on 01 May 2014, 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 3:16 pm

skibum wrote:
I guess the better word I should have used would have been writing from my own personal experiences. Like I can only write from what I know and feel myself. My experiences. I can share what others have told me about their experiences and perspectives but I when I share about myself it's from mine. I guess that's the easiest way I can try to explain it. I hope that makes sense.

I think I may be starting to get what you're saying (maybe what B19 was saying, too)... you wouldn't necessarily connect your experiences to things besides Asperger's, because that goes beyond speaking for yourself?

Joe90 wrote:
So instead of keep saying ''Aspies and Autistics....'', I just either say ''Aspies'' or ''Autistics'' as in everyone on the spectrum. We don't mean any disrespect.

That makes sense.

linatet wrote:
I direct to auties I may be missing their experience far from the mark. I don't know so I feel I can't generalize you know? Talking about everyone in the spectrum is too ambitious.

I get what you're saying. In my mind generalizing for all aspies or all auties is too ambitious. The categories are too big...

If you divide up the whole spectrum into only 2 or 3 categories, each one has to cover so much diversity that the name of either category stops having any specific meaning (real concrete meaning -- specific things that you can touch and feel and hear and do and see) because it could mean so many different things....and when you're close to the dividing line between them, the categories mean basically nothing at all.

But.... not speaking for other people isn't the same thing as allowing for the possibility that they might experience the same things you do.

Love transcends all.

Last edited by animalcrackers on 29 Apr 2014, 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 3:27 pm

KingdomOfRats wrote:
a minority of people are aspie elitists and see those of us with classic autism as being inferior non functioning people and think we cant have skills/qualities so are disgusted to be put on the same spectrum as us.

I will never understand tha mentality. Everybody can do some things, and serious disability doesn't mean no ability. And people are people, with thoughts and feelings, at any level of IQ or ability.

OJani wrote:
As for the poll, probably it's all options at a point or another. I picked "Not realizing non-aspies might share similar experiences" because I feel it's the most relevant one.

I should have put in an "some combination/all of the above" option.

Love transcends all.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 3:50 pm

animalcrackers wrote:
skibum wrote:
I guess the better word I should have used would have been writing from my own personal experiences. Like I can only write from what I know and feel myself. My experiences. I can share what others have told me about their experiences and perspectives but I when I share about myself it's from mine. I guess that's the easiest way I can try to explain it. I hope that makes sense.

I think I may be starting to get what you're saying (maybe what B19 was saying, too)... you wouldn't necessarily connect your experiences to things besides Asperger's, because that goes beyond speaking for yourself?

Yes. I only experience what I experience through my own situation so that is where most of my posts are coming from. Therefore I will use the term Aspie more because when I write a post it is from my own experience and understanding.

Wreck It Ralph

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 9:37 pm

Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder are all pretty much the same thing: Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Are you asking why people write "Aspie" rather than writing "Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified" every time they want to reference something about ASD?

When looked at from the point of view of Bald Eagles and Tectonic Plates, Solar Flares and Electron Microscopes - Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified, are pretty much the same thing, they are definitely not a Diesel Locomotive, nor are they Petroleum.

Or are you asking, why doesn't everyone write he/she/it or his/hers/its whenever he/she/it is writing about persons?

I'm certain you cannot be asking why people don't address every universally possible similarity with full length names just to say, "When a man loves a woman."
"When a man loves a man."
"When a woman loves a man."
"When a woman loves a woman."
"When a man loves a diesel locomotive."
"When a Lesbian loves a woman."
"When a Bald Eagle loves a same-gender-curious, part time cross-dressing, Uruguayan Horseshoe crab."

Seriously?

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 10:37 pm

1401b wrote:
Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder are all pretty much the same thing: Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Are you asking why people write "Aspie" rather than writing "Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified" every time they want to reference something about ASD?

No, that's not my question at all. If that was what my words meant then I'd have no reason to ask my actual question, because I'd assume that everyone writing about "aspies" and "Asperger's" just meant ASD's in general in every instance. I've never made that assumption and I have no reason to make it even now that some people have posted to say this is how they use the word "aspie", because I'm sure that not everybody uses it that way.

Love transcends all.

Who_Am_I
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 10:42 pm

1401b wrote:

When looked at from the point of view of Bald Eagles and Tectonic Plates, Solar Flares and Electron Microscopes - Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified, are pretty much the same thing, they are definitely not a Diesel Locomotive, nor are they Petroleum.

Or are you asking, why doesn't everyone write he/she/it or his/hers/its whenever he/she/it is writing about persons?

I'm certain you cannot be asking why people don't address every universally possible similarity with full length names just to say, "When a man loves a woman."
"When a man loves a man."
"When a woman loves a man."
"When a woman loves a woman."
"When a man loves a diesel locomotive."
"When a Lesbian loves a woman."
"When a Bald Eagle loves a same-gender-curious, part time cross-dressing, Uruguayan Horseshoe crab."

Seriously?

Why not just use "autism" then? Asperger's is a subset of autism.

Deceptive cadence: V- ANYTHING BUT I ! !! !
Beethoven cadence: V-I-V-I-V-V-V-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I
-I-I-I-I-I-I-I-I! I! I! I I I

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 12:25 am

Because that's what the general discussion is for.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 1:21 am

KingdomOfRats wrote:
in own view theres a lot of reasons why this happens...
most WP members dont have direct experience of those of us on the low functioning spectrum so only think of us in stereotypes and feel they can only ever relate to people with aspergers/HFA..

^^^this it ain't half obvious...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 2:00 am

Stereotyping people that identify as Aspie as Ass-burgers, elitists, fakers, excuse makers apparently is ok here on this “support group” website.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman