Why do so many posts only mention aspies/Asperger's?

Page 4 of 4 [ 55 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Why do so many posts only mention aspies/Asperger's?
Assumption that everyone here has Asperger's. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Only wanting to hear from other aspies. 6%  6%  [ 4 ]
Not realizing non-aspies might share similar experienes. 11%  11%  [ 8 ]
Language thing/habit 35%  35%  [ 25 ]
It's like the assumption of heterosexuality. 13%  13%  [ 9 ]
Other 25%  25%  [ 18 ]
Total votes : 72

JustLikeYou
Butterfly
Butterfly

30 Apr 2014, 7:03 am

animalcrackers wrote:
So many of the posts are only directed to "aspies" or mention only Asperger's as a diagnosis, and yet talk about autism things that are not specific to Asperger's....I wonder why.

Maybe people assume everyone on here is an aspie?

Maybe people only want to hear from those who share their diagnosis?

Maybe it's that people diagnosed with Asperger's don't realize that people with PDD-NOS and Autistic Disorder (aka Atypical Autism and Childhood Autism) might have some of the same experiences they do?

Maybe it's just some kind of language-thing or habit?

Maybe it's like how heterosexuals tend to talk about love and relationships and sex as though everybody is heterosexual (heterosexuals being the majority in society, and aspies being the majority on this site as far as I know)?

If you mention only aspies and Asperger's in your posts, feel free to pick a poll choice based on yourself only -- you don't have to guess about why others might do so unless you want to.

The reason (well, actually one reason) is kinda long and complicated. But basically-

In the 1990s, when everybody first started joining internet forums and online communities, the word "Asperger's" was thrown around a lot. Mainly because, we were all nerds. By that, I mean, as nerds there was a stereotype (which was also self-used) that:

1. We had weak social skills, because we're online on the forums instead of being outside "in real life". You know the whole internet- "IRL" thing.
2. We are intelligent, because Bill Gates is a nerd and that's the stereotype

So that when "Asperger" was thrown around. Because fulfilled both points (1) and (2).

I'm sure all the Asperger's people on here know what I'm talking about! :roll:

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Apr 2014, 8:53 am

I use "Aspie" to mean "autistic person" as it is quicker. I really don't like "autie". When I use "Aspie", I am referring to someone anywhere on the spectrum.

If I want to use an adjective or a diagnosis, it will be "autistic" or "autism".

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 1:05 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Stereotyping people that identify as Aspie as Ass-burgers, elitists, fakers, excuse makers apparently is ok here on this “support group” website.

I doubt any "autistic" (non-Aspie) person has time to worry about the world of "Aspies" or what to stereotype them as they are too busy dealing with their own enormous challenges in their day to day lives.

The only stereotypes being flung around on WP are from Aspies labelling non-Aspie people on the autism spectrum as severe or low functioning and worse still as low IQ. I agree with KOR that many here have i) never met an non-Aspie autistic person and ii) probably have no desire to interact with a non-Aspie autistic person due to their preconceptions that such a stereotype has nothing to offer them.

The latter (ii) is part of the reason I decided to create a sticky thread for non-Aspie Autistic people and their parents.

GregCav
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 7:06 am

My experience is Aspergers, so I speak on behalf of Aspergers.

While I know Autism is similar, I also know it is different; so I'm not confident (or competent) to speak on their behalf.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 4:25 pm

Who_Am_I wrote:
1401b wrote:
Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder are all pretty much the same thing: Autism Spectrum Disorders.

Are you asking why people write "Aspie" rather than writing "Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified" every time they want to reference something about ASD?

When looked at from the point of view of Bald Eagles and Tectonic Plates, Solar Flares and Electron Microscopes - Autism, Aspergers, Pervasive Developmental Disorder-Not Otherwise Specified, are pretty much the same thing, they are definitely not a Diesel Locomotive, nor are they Petroleum.

Or are you asking, why doesn't everyone write he/she/it or his/hers/its whenever he/she/it is writing about persons?

I'm certain you cannot be asking why people don't address every universally possible similarity with full length names just to say, "When a man loves a woman."
"When a man loves a man."
"When a woman loves a man."
"When a woman loves a woman."
"When a man loves a diesel locomotive."
"When a Lesbian loves a woman."
"When a Bald Eagle loves a same-gender-curious, part time cross-dressing, Uruguayan Horseshoe crab."

Seriously?

Why not just use "autism" then? Asperger's is a subset of autism.

And the horseshoe crab is a gimp, and a dom! The bald eagle is a submissive!

Toy_Soldier
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 5:07 pm

I used to use Aspie to mean all autistic people, but have been training myself away from using it that way as it is not accurate and may make other folks on the spectrum feel left out.

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2014, 8:09 pm

GregCav wrote:
My experience is Aspergers, so I speak on behalf of Aspergers.

^^^ This.

While I accept that it's a spectrum, I would never personally assume that my experiences can be generalized across the broader spectrum. As my 5th grade science teacher wrote, Rocket has "difficulty making generalizations". LOL.