Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Steve223
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Apr 2014, 8:00 pm

As a kid, I was actually quite social. A bit off at times, yes. But social and having friends, absolutely. I had some difficulties with attention and executive functioning but no major social failures. Of course, sometimes people liked me and sometimes they didn't but I did ok socially. Just ok. Not good or bad. I was homeschooled but socialized with other kids from the community fairly frequently. I had one particular friend who I was close with for a very, very long time. My whole childhood actually. He was not AS like at all nor did he suffer from any developmental disabilities other than possibly being a bit "slow", "not too swift" or whatever you want to call it. I can read faces and body language fine but sometimes said and did some impulsive/unusual things that were a bit different from what other kids did. On the flip side, people often commented that I was "very outgoing" and my mother described me as quite "bold". My mother studied psychology but has little to no experience in the field identifying disorders. However, she wondered if I could have "aspergers" due to my blurting things out and inattention along with the fact that I have always had quite strong interests. Not strong as in swept away rambling on about them inappropriately but just strong, passionate interests beyond what people usually have at that age. Also, I had a huge fascination with the paranormal even as a kid and I still do. I never talked about my interests in the sciences with friends to any great extent. To friends, I would just hang out and socialize but while alone I was passionately interested in sciences. In college, I wound up hanging out with a very "druggish" crowd and was high most of the time. I was no longer the "science nerd" during this period and basically just hung out with friends getting drunk and stoned. This girl who is autistic herself (formally diagnosed) thought that I was. She said I have a lot of "sensory signs". I have never had an overload or "meltdown" in the aspie sense and maybe it could have had something to with adhd or the fact that I rarely if ever talked to this girl while I was sober. I often didn't tell people if I was drunk, high, or even on other drugs so a lot of times I could have been messed up and she didn't know I was. Now, I have had some difficulties with executive functioning that are impairing my life at the moment and I am unsure where to turn or who to go to. Anyone with similar experiences (or unsimilar experiences) give me some much needed advice

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 8:02 pm

Were you able to get your degree?

ghostar
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Apr 2014, 9:51 pm

Steve223,

Back in college, I went through situations similar to what you describe. I only wish someone with ASD had pointed out the possibility to me. I ended up earning my bachelor's in engineering and then going straight into graduate school but I think knowing I had Asperger's would have been a huge leg-up!

In my case, I did not get a formal diagnosis until I was 29...I earned my bachelor's when I was only 24. If I had known about my Asperger's, I don't know if I would have made different decisions. I will never know.

It sounds like you are in a different (earlier) stage of life than me as I am 34 years old now and have been out of school for many years. That being said, your experiences are not entirely unique.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Ghostar

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2014, 10:08 pm

It doesn't sound like it because having a severe impairment in social interaction including in non-verbal communication from childhood is required for a diagnosis and is a big part of the condition. However, if you're distressed or having problems in life now that you think are mental/developmental in nature you should go see a psych. and be evaluated professionally. Good luck, OP.