Page 2 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:50 pm

Inventor wrote:
They will try to dump you on SSI, it is their job, yours is to get SS. There are legal limits on what a lawyer can charge to help, 25% of back payments, from the date of application,

Thanks for posting this, this is really useful information for me. The doctor who wanted me to apply in the first place said "Here's how it's going to go. They're going to turn you down the first time. They turn everyone down the first time. As soon as they turn you down, give this guy a call. He's a Disability Lawyer who works with my wife. I'll talk to him about you."

I wasn't going to call the guy because I figured "I don't have a job, how can I afford a lawyer?" but now I know I can.

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 10:01 pm

I didn't have to go through a lawyer to get my SSI since I never worked at all my entire life.

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 12:26 am

calibaby wrote:
my dad wants me to get on ssi,
but i refuse.

my passion is doll making and if i get on ssi, then i would not be able to sell my dolls.
my last social worker said i could only make $20 a month.

I need medical and dental though, but they took that away also, when i was denied twice.

No, no, no. Your last social worker was a twit. She/he was trying to keep you off of disability. You can make up to 800 dollars and not have it affect your ssi.

Have you ever worked in a "regular" job? And have you made a business plan regarding your dolls? If that doll in your icon an example of what you do, I think you have something really wonderful, and worth pursuing.

Metta, Rjaye 8)

Rjaye
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 12:32 am

Inventor,

Good explanation. I'm on regular SS with Medicare, but I also have a physical disability. There's so much wrong info floating around regarding Social Security and SSDI, and of course, it doesn't help that it's complicated to begin with.

Metta, Rjaye.

richardbenson
Xfractor Card #351
Xfractor Card #351

22 Feb 2007, 10:06 am

good for you, the government has no problem putting there hands into your pockets so why not return the favor? ive applied twice and have been denied both times. so now i work only enough to get by. i hate the government. the ret*d IRS came after me a few years ago because of a mistake they made. (they accidently gave me a refund) and applied two years of penaltys and intrest that i had to pay them back. it was absolutely terrible, so now i'm f-ing them back :D

liza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Feb 2007, 3:35 pm

I help people get and keep their benefits and it seems every time you go in to the social security office the rules change. But right now in my state you can make at least $800 and keep the medical benefits. They adjust your financial benefits as you work but you'll have more $$ if you work part time, stay below the cap and receive the medical benefits. Also here they may deny you two or three times but eventually everyone I know gets it.

ADoyle
Veteran
Veteran

22 Feb 2007, 8:31 pm

I'm in the appeals process now, but what I thought was strange was that they'd sent me checks for 4 months until I was denied. I've still got that money in case I have to pay it back. Right now, I'm doing a temp job, so I've got extra money that could be spent. I don't make large purchases, so most of what I've earned on this temp assignment and my previous seasonal retail job is being saved.

I'm more interested in the health insurance that comes with SSI as I like to work, and once I get a permanent job, money won't be much of an issue. One thing I hate is that you can't have more than $2,000 in assets in any form if you get approved. I know that with rent and other bills, it's possible to keep that, but you can't put much asside for retirement or other things.

liza
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2007, 9:03 am

You can own but not save up $$ to buy a house. For instance your grandmother dies and leaves you her house you can keep it. You cannot have over $2,000 in the bank but who knows how much you have stashed under the mattress. Had a friend saved $$ under his mattress and bought a little condo. Should you inherit $$, win the lottery or get a back payment from SS you have 6-9 months to spend it down. One way is to purchase gift cards to use later at grocery stores etc.