Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 9:07 pm

I signed up for SSI and Disability

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 9:34 pm

Well good for you. And I mean that without sarcasm. If you need it, use it. There are people on these forums that will say we don't need it, but I'd rather my tax money go towards people on the autistic spectrum than high school dropouts who got pregnant too early.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 9:55 pm

I've applied for Disability too, months ago. I'm not eligible for SSI because I have a new car.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 9:58 pm

Can you get rid of SSI after you get access to services and are able to function on your own normally?

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 10:10 pm

dgd1788 wrote:
Can you get rid of SSI after you get access to services and are able to function on your own normally?

Yes. Trust me it's not that you have to "get rid of them," they'll probably periodically try to tell you that you don't need them anymore and you'll have to fight to keep them. But yes, if you were to get a job, then you wouldn't be eligible for either one eventually.

Alaric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Feb 2007, 10:21 pm

I'm receiving SSI because of disability: physical walking disability due to leg injuries, chronic pain from the injuries, depression from the chronic pain, and post-traumatic stress. Most of them are unlikely to improve any time soon, unfortunately.

matt271
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 10:35 pm

so we can just apply for SSI and get FREE money for FREE? sounds pretty good to me.

Mnemosyne
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2007, 10:36 pm

matt271 wrote:
so we can just apply for SSI and get FREE money for FREE? sounds pretty good to me.

It's a lot of work and a long fight to get that money. You also need an army of doctors who are willing to state that you can't work. It's not that easy.

Alaric

20 Feb 2007, 11:07 pm

matt271 wrote:

I would ONE HUNDRED TIMES rather be able to get a job. But no-one will hire me, because they don't believe that someone who's obviously in constant pain can do the job.

calibaby
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

21 Feb 2007, 4:32 am

my dad wants me to get on ssi,
but i refuse.

my passion is doll making and if i get on ssi, then i would not be able to sell my dolls.
my last social worker said i could only make $20 a month.

I need medical and dental though, but they took that away also, when i was denied twice.

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 4:47 am

dgd1788 wrote:

You can, but be forewarned that once you reach retirement age, your Social Security checks will be smaller than someone who has not recieved previous SSI Payments. The Social Security Administration deducts previously rendered services. --Think carefully before you attempt to recieve services from them!

Catster2
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 6:05 am

I am on the DSP (Disability Support Pension) this is the Australian equivilent of SII I think. I can stay on it as long as I dont work longer than 30 hours a week if I do and the job is less than two years then I can suspend payment and go back on afterwards. Australia is more lenient on social security than the USA. On DSP I get about 550$ every two weeks.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 6:42 am

calibaby wrote:
my dad wants me to get on ssi,
but i refuse.

my passion is doll making and if i get on ssi, then i would not be able to sell my dolls.

I need medical and dental though, but they took that away also, when i was denied twice.

I'm not so sure you could only make $20 a month

Alaric

21 Feb 2007, 7:40 am

calibaby wrote:

Your social worker lied to you. These days they're trying hard to find ways to either help people get off welfare or disability altogether, or to work part time and need less benefits. There's workfare programs to get free retraining, and you can have a part-time job and still earn partial benefits (I'm not exactly sure precisely how that last works, but there is no $20/month cap).

TigerFire
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 8:35 pm

I've been having it and love it. I'm glad you have it.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2007, 9:25 pm

Have you ever had a job? What I am asking is, have you ever paid into Social Security, at all, for if you have, and are below an age, it has been a long time since I was in social services, it was 25, check, and then become disabled, it is like you are 65, full Social Security, Medicare, not Medicade.

Social Security pays about twice SSI, Doctors will take Medicare, Medicade works at free clinics.

They will try to dump you on SSI, it is their job, yours is to get SS. There are legal limits on what a lawyer can charge to help, 25% of back payments, from the date of application, most lawyers are useless, they take a lot of cases, and win some by default. But for a letter at the right time, it is worth it.

Social Security has their own Doctors, if you make the appointment, there is nothing wrong with you, if you do not, there is nothing wrong, and if you die in the office, you are not covered. You need two outside Doctors. the rest will not buck the Profession.

School advisors, Special Ed, count for nothing, two MDs, one lawyer. They are hired guns, but sometimes that is what you need.

If you have never had a job, get one. make just enough, some low number, that you pay into Social Security. Try, if you can not make in the work work because of AS, and you have paid, at least you tried.

This is the rest of your life, do it right. Up to an age, which I think you are nearing, treatment is free, after that, nothing is free.

I say there is nothing wrong with AS, but the NTs do, so they should pay. Someone keeps you in computers, might even feed you, buy you some clothes, help them out.