Myself a very odd case. (Possible cause of autism???! !!)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

frogfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2014, 5:46 pm

So here is my story:

I have been researching autism and Asperger syndrome. I think I am different from everyone else and I am not sure if what has happened to me (with regards to my brain) has ever happened to anyone else in the history of the world. Maybe that is an exaggeration, I am not sure. I have never heard of autism being caused by diet alone.

As long as I can remember I have had symptoms which match Asperger syndrome to the T. The only exception (and this is a big one) is that I was able to read social cues, body language and sarcasm. I could read body language okay and I could tell at a glance what somebody was thinking. That was never really an issue for me. Or at least it wasn't a big issue I still kindof assumed that my brain functioned in about the same way as everyone else's despite lots and lots of evidence to the contrary. I had zero friends basically and could not due small talk at all.

There are plenty of people on the internet who have tried going gluten, casein and omega-3 diets without it having any major effect on there autism. My story is different.

A few weeks ago I went mostly gluten free by accident, and I had an episode. After eating a fish and drinking a Mike's hard lemonade I had a manic episode where I was extremely happy and was jumping up and down and laughing. I figured out that the gluten must have had something to do with that so I quite eating gluten. I have since discovered that I am allergic to wheat. I later found out that milk had the effect of making me totally loopy. I then discovered that my brain needs lots and lots of omega-3 in order to function correctly. I used to literally have a can of tuna instead of a cup of coffee in the morning. Now I take fish oil pills instead. After that it occurred to me (in a quick flash of insite) that my thoughts were racing. I googled racing thoughts and came up with iodine deficiency. That cured my racing thoughts. Now I am normal!! !

Or at least very close to being normal. I can focus on something more than other people and I might have ADD at other times. I can small talk much much more easy now and I can tell my brain is working in a different fashion than it was before. I am a totally different person and the people around me noticed that also. Plenty of people say they their autism has improved with age. Mine didn't improve it disappeared. I know the world from both polls and I know the difference now. I have watched videos about Asperger syndrome online and read descriptions. My mind worked in a way that was very very similar to someone with Asperger syndrome. Now it works in a completely different way.

The standard view is that Asperger syndrome is a result of changes in the structure of the brain before birth, and that it is not reversible. Also the standard model is that genetics plays a role.

One theory for autism is that it is a condition with increased number of short connections and decreased number of long connections. This relates to the intense world theory. I have heard that omega-3 play a role in how electrical signals are transfered from one part of the brain to another part of the brain. I don't know what is going on inside me. All I know is that if I don't eat lots of omega-3 everyday my brain shuts down.

So my question is who do I contact who is doing research into autism and Asperger syndrome? I think I have incite that may be useful if someone is researching the cause of autism. I feel like I should spread the word just encase something useful comes of this. Even though a cure is not very likely in the near future, my medical history tells me the idea is not absurd. It is definitely worth investigating.
Chase

B19
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 6:25 pm

One of the findings which is beginning to emerge in the medical research literature is that depression is the result of inflammation in the body (including the brain).

Fish oil is one anti-inflammatory, though what I found is that you need much higher doses than the labelling suggests, especially if you eat a lot of saturated fats.

You can get lab-tested for body/brain levels of inflammation by a simple blood test for C-reactive protein. This rises as inflammation rises.

There are many pieces to the ASD puzzle, though inflammation is definitely one of them, IMO.

frogfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2014, 6:51 pm

I think you are right in that I think ASD could be a complex problem.

That is an interesting idea. I wasn't aware that inflammation in the brain could be a problem. I will consider taking the test.

I had very very strong special interests. I don't know if those would be a result of inflammation. I may have had a number of different problems.

One other possibility is that omega-3 helps with blood flow and circulation. I know my hands were very cold before. I could have had poor circulation in my brain. I suppose that would more likely result in a very bad headache than anything else.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 8:51 pm

frogfoot wrote:
The only exception (and this is a big one) is that I was able to read social cues, body language and sarcasm. I could read body language okay and I could tell at a glance what somebody was thinking. That was never really an issue for me.

I am not a professional psychologist but yeah that is a big one. There are a lot of traits that are common to Autism and a lot of other things. There could be many reasons for having no friends and disliking small talk. But according to the DSM 5 you must have “deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction, ranging, for example, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures; to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication” to be diagnosed with a Autism Spectrum Disorder

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

frogfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Apr 2014, 10:26 pm

I think I met the official criteria for autism very well. I avoided almost all eye contact (eyes freaked me out) and also hardly said anything to anyone my whole entire life. I didn't quite meet the qualification for Asperger syndrome though, in that I was able to read some non verbal communication. I think the cause of my autism was different from other peoples. I have never heard of this happening to anyone.

I think b19 was right: the swelling in my brain had a lot to do with my problems and that is what was going on. I researched omega 3 and also learned that salt plays a role in how the cells in the brain function. I think my body wasn't absorbing salt very well and I don't generally eat a whole lot of salt. The omega-3 helped in reducing the swelling but it was making up for a deficiency in salt uptake. That would explain a few rare headaches that I got that were brought about either by exercise, stress or a change in altitude. The fish had salt, iodine, and omega 3 all of which could have had an effect on my brain.

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2014, 11:17 pm

frogfoot wrote:
I think I met the official criteria for autism very well. I avoided almost all eye contact (eyes freaked me out) and also hardly said anything to anyone my whole entire life. I didn't quite meet the qualification for Asperger syndrome though, in that I was able to read some non verbal communication. I think the cause of my autism was different from other peoples. I have never heard of this happening to anyone.

I also can read some non verbal communication. I also wondered if I had some different sort of autism as well for the same exact reason. But a year and a half ago, I was officially diagnosed with Aspergers. The more I've been around other people my age with Aspergers, I found that, although there are always deficites in the ability to read nonverbal communication, there are people who can read some nonverbal communication.

adriantesq
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 May 2014, 6:55 am

Adam and Eve partaking of the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil is the only aspect about diet you'll find in my 'Theory of Everything there is to know about Autism and Asperger's Syndrome'.

:idea: You probably have schizoid or schizoidal personality disorder, not autism, as, with that you can pick and choose what symptoms you manifest to attract sympathy / attention. :?

adriantesq - Born 1945, diagnosed as Savant 1949, Autist 1950, Unfulfilled musical genius 1953, Autistic Psychopath 1960, Aspie 1994, appointed as the County Surveyors Society Chief Instructor Suicide Avoidance and Prevention in 1995, became Amazon Best Selling Author in Biographies and Memoirs of Childhood Autism and Asperger's Syndrome 2014, and Ambassador for Autie and Aspie Students of Energime University 2016.

frogfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

03 May 2014, 4:05 pm

I realize there are a lot of people with various mental deficits that post on this site looking for attention. I was more looking to see if anyone has had a similar experience. My mind wasn't working very well, and I know how much it has changed. I also haven't been able to find anyone else who this has happened to. You wouldn't know how much I changed unless you knew me in person before and after. That's okay though.

I think people with AS read body language in an entirely different way than normal people do. One person with AS said she was able to read body language but she didn't always remember to. For an NT body language and context is more like a complex communication channel where a large portion of the information is passed along during conversation. (Such as interest/subtle hints/cues/questions) I was normal in that respect, although I think I had a few specific deficits. I assumed people thought more or less in a similar fashion to me. I think I projected my way of thinking into other peoples minds.

RedEnigma
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2014, 8:54 am

frogfoot wrote:
So here is my story:

I have been researching autism and Asperger syndrome. I think I am different from everyone else and I am not sure if what has happened to me (with regards to my brain) has ever happened to anyone else in the history of the world. Maybe that is an exaggeration, I am not sure. I have never heard of autism being caused by diet alone.

As long as I can remember I have had symptoms which match Asperger syndrome to the T. The only exception (and this is a big one) is that I was able to read social cues, body language and sarcasm. I could read body language okay and I could tell at a glance what somebody was thinking. That was never really an issue for me. Or at least it wasn't a big issue I still kindof assumed that my brain functioned in about the same way as everyone else's despite lots and lots of evidence to the contrary. I had zero friends basically and could not due small talk at all.

There are plenty of people on the internet who have tried going gluten, casein and omega-3 diets without it having any major effect on there autism. My story is different.

A few weeks ago I went mostly gluten free by accident, and I had an episode. After eating a fish and drinking a Mike's hard lemonade I had a manic episode where I was extremely happy and was jumping up and down and laughing. I figured out that the gluten must have had something to do with that so I quite eating gluten. I have since discovered that I am allergic to wheat. I later found out that milk had the effect of making me totally loopy. I then discovered that my brain needs lots and lots of omega-3 in order to function correctly. I used to literally have a can of tuna instead of a cup of coffee in the morning. Now I take fish oil pills instead. After that it occurred to me (in a quick flash of insite) that my thoughts were racing. I googled racing thoughts and came up with iodine deficiency. That cured my racing thoughts. Now I am normal!! !

Or at least very close to being normal. I can focus on something more than other people and I might have ADD at other times. I can small talk much much more easy now and I can tell my brain is working in a different fashion than it was before. I am a totally different person and the people around me noticed that also. Plenty of people say they their autism has improved with age. Mine didn't improve it disappeared. I know the world from both polls and I know the difference now. I have watched videos about Asperger syndrome online and read descriptions. My mind worked in a way that was very very similar to someone with Asperger syndrome. Now it works in a completely different way.

The standard view is that Asperger syndrome is a result of changes in the structure of the brain before birth, and that it is not reversible. Also the standard model is that genetics plays a role.

One theory for autism is that it is a condition with increased number of short connections and decreased number of long connections. This relates to the intense world theory. I have heard that omega-3 play a role in how electrical signals are transfered from one part of the brain to another part of the brain. I don't know what is going on inside me. All I know is that if I don't eat lots of omega-3 everyday my brain shuts down.

So my question is who do I contact who is doing research into autism and Asperger syndrome? I think I have incite that may be useful if someone is researching the cause of autism. I feel like I should spread the word just encase something useful comes of this. Even though a cure is not very likely in the near future, my medical history tells me the idea is not absurd. It is definitely worth investigating.
Chase

If you can read body language intuitively and can understand social cues, you don't have aspergers. End of story.

beemared
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2014, 9:05 am

frogfoot

Have you heard of Dr Amy Yasko? She treats autism as a biochemical illness.

frogfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2014, 7:48 pm

Nope I haven't heard of her before. I don't think autism can be curred through diet or medicine. There may *possibly* be ways of making it less severe, i don't know. Before now I would have said the idea was ridiculous, now I'm not sure.

I think an explanation of some of the causes of autism could be reduced to more simple things. If there is for example, a lack of long connections in the brain in autistic people, then that could be reproduced by other situations. I am really surprised though at how many odd symptoms that I had that specifically match autism. When I watch videos on youtube of people with AS describe how their mind works, they are also describing how mind used to work and how it still does work to some degree.