Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

cinbad
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 May 2014, 4:56 am

I am writing a paper on Asperger's and I was hoping I could get some help. There are many terms that I have forgotten to define some of the positive and negative aspects of having AS. One in particular is high language skills. I can't find it looking backwards on the internet, maybe you can help me? There are also so many others such as Theory of mind and anything else you can think of that would help me define some of the defining aspects of AS.

I thought it might be fun for some of you since we all love words so much. I am under a crunch as my paper is due today and of course, my brain has stopped functioning because of the deadline. Help me out here?

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 12:17 pm

Sorry but your post is hard for me to understand.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2014, 12:44 pm

My brain is kind of overwhelmed and not functioning at its best either, so not sure I can be much help at the moment. But yeah not sure if there is exactly high language skills but a lot of us describe things and talk/write about stuff in rather technical terms so it can come off as having high language skills but not sure if there is an exact word for that. I don't know a whole lot about theory of mind....but some other aspects are sensory issues, like being sensative to things most people aren't or more sensative to them....like bright light and lots of noise can be very overwhelming.

Trouble expressing empathy, some would say we simply lack it but I think its more like its hard to express it not the lack of ability to feel it...but yeah sometimes having trouble verbally expressing thoughts, emotions and what not goes along with that or having body language that doesn't quite fit. Like I might be standing in such a way I seem anxious and unhappy when I am feeling just fine or I space out and people wonder if something is wrong but its just going into deep thought I mean I guess it could seem weird if someones just sitting there staring at nothing(maybe thats not just an autism thing though).

Liblady
Raven
Raven

05 May 2014, 4:52 pm

For the high language skills, youy might want to phrase it "use of professorial or overly technical vocabulary and expression". Last year I had written on article for people contemplating taking the GED instead of graduating high school the traditional route. My supervisor was sore at me, claiming I had written at the level of a college professor rather than at the level of someone who might have trouble graduating high school, while I had thought I had dumbed down my language quite a bit!

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2014, 2:25 am

Probably a little late to be of use for your paper, but here's a link to the abstract of a research paper that specifies the difference in IQ profiles between AS and more classic autism as being high verbal/low nonverbal IQ for those with AS, high nonverbal/low verbal IQ for those with autism.

http://link.springer.com/article/10.102 ... 0.19098.77

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

CocoRock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2014, 5:55 am

What? It might be 'fun' for people with AS is finish your assignment because you're all tired out?! Huh?