Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

stardraigh
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 8:41 am

stardraigh wrote:
2 more examples of mind-blindness and one of them is directly related to me
I've had eye problems my whole life with a lazy eye. To describe it, I can let everything go unfocused and blurry and see only one thing. I can close one eye, have unblurred vision and see one thing, or I can see clearly with both eyes opened(even with glasses) and have double vision.

Up until I had surgery in 04 on my eyes for this, I had never had or experienced depth perception with my eye-sight. The results were: Everything in my vision that was center, down, or to the right, had depth perception if both eyes were open while wearing glasses. If I look to the top of my eye sight or to the left, my sight doubles and I have no depth perception.

From a logical standpoint, I understood the concept of depth perception, but I couldn't figure it out or make it work. I've had several car accidents because I couldn't judge how far or close things were, and a few other mishaps related. I couldn't throw a ball and reliably get it to where it needed to go. I have never been able to see the hidden image in a stereoscope picture.

Once I got the eye surgery, it was like the world was opened up and much safer for both myself and for others :). I was no longer mind-blind to depth perception and I could use it and life was good. Still can't see a stereoscope picture... :(

So you train your brain to use binocular vision, even though you'd never experienced it before? You can't see stereoscope pictures? You mean Magic Eye pictures or 3D movies?[/quote]

Yeah. Binocular vision. That's the term. I've always labeled it as having depth perception. Also yes on the Magic Eye pictures. I couldn't remember the name of them either. I can watch 3-D movies and sometimes the 3-D effect works, but sometimes it's just like an older 2-D movie. The more tired I am, the less I make my eyes focus and the harder it gets to see in binocular vision.

stardraigh wrote:
It is impossible for humans to think or imagine a color outside of the visible light spectrum. So all of humanity is mind-blind to additional colors or even seeing other parts of the spectrum such as IR and UV.

True but some people may have extra sensitivity to colour within the visible spectrum. See this.
http://discovermagazine.com/2012/jul-au ... man-vision[/quote]

I did know there is a difference in general between genetic males and females as to how many colors can be processed, but I didn't know there was a subset of women who could process even more color. This is still limited to within the visible light spectrum.

I was also wrong about the UV -- Aphakia. It can be caused congenitally, so it is possible to see into UV by some humans and they wouldn't be mind-blind to it. IR on the other hand seems out of reach and requires tech.

My Blog
Deviantart Page

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2014, 9:06 am

stardraigh wrote:
Also yes on the Magic Eye pictures. I couldn't remember the name of them either.

Bear in mind those are nearly impossible even for people with perfect vision.
stardraigh wrote:
I can watch 3-D movies and sometimes the 3-D effect works, but sometimes it's just like an older 2-D movie.

Some 3D movies look flatter than other ones. Even the ones filmed with real 3D cameras can some times look pretty flat. I blame the director and the editor. I think maybe they reduce the depth on purpose because if the depth was one to one with the life because some people can't handle the conflicting difference of binocular depth and focal depth. Your eyes adapt to this conflict the more time you spend watching 3D movies so after a while you get used to converging on the screen as though it was miles away yet focusing on it as though it's a few tens of feet away. 3D movies have been making their comeback for a number of years now so it's about time they bumped up to 100% depth. /rant
stardraigh wrote:
I did know there is a difference in general between genetic males and females as to how many colors can be processed

Well. I learned something new today.
stardraigh wrote:
I was also wrong about the UV -- Aphakia. It can be caused congenitally, so it is possible to see into UV by some humans and they wouldn't be mind-blind to it.

I'm not sure how much it counts if they can see ultraviolet light but not distinguish it from blue light. I guess it might help a bit. After all, we can see millions of colours from three types of cones so maybe it would be enough.