28% of murderers thought to have suffered from ASD

Page 15 of 19 [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 9:29 pm

Quote:
I am now afraid that I would not be welcomed here anymore.

Don't be silly, of course you are welcomed here.
So me and you might have had a disagreement in this thread, it doesn't mean I don't like you and it doesn't mean you are a bad person or anything. There are probably lots of other subjects that we do agree on.

Please stay. :)

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 9:48 pm

I am sorry if it sounded that I was leaving.

I am not leaving, it's just I feel guilty and ashamed of myself for what I have done in the past.

It's just I hear that you guys don't wan't crime to be associated with ASD, but I was a law breaker who happened to have ASD.

I feel guilty for committing cyber-crimes for five years, breaking my brother's friend's window and for being aggressive against my mother and brother.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 9:51 pm

It's just feels so confusing to say that there is literally no link between ASD and crime, when there are in fact some people like me, who have ASD, but were criminals, even if they never had a criminal record yet.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:25 pm

I am sorry for arguing with you.

It's just we don't always have the same agreements.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:27 pm

Are all, or even most, autistics, criminals?

Of course not.

But are some criminals autistic? Probably. But probably no greater a proportion of criminals being aspie than the proportion of aspies out of the general population. Autism is more likely to make you a victim of crime than make you a criminal.

But here is the interesting question. Are there SOME crimes that do have higher proportion of perps who are autistic than the proportion of autistics in the general population? My guess is that few con artists are aspie, but that a greater proportion of perps of "cyber crime" are indeed aspie than there are aspies in the general population. But, that would mean that a greater proportion of people talented at designing security systems against hackers would also be aspie/autistic.

It doesnt sound like you are Tony Soprano, or John Gotti. You dont sound like a "career criminal". Though you did do something, for all of five years, and got away with it. We on WP wont disown you for it. Lol!

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:35 pm

I know, it's just I feel like a disgrace when it comes innocent people with ASD (even though I don't have a criminal record yet)

I even told the police about my cyber-crimes (when I had mental health crisis), they could not take me to jail, because I was psychotic at that time, but I did speak to them clearly

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:41 pm

FranzOren wrote:
It's just feels so confusing to say that there is literally no link between ASD and crime, when there are in fact some people like me, who have ASD, but were criminals, even if they never had a criminal record yet.

We have all made mistakes in our past. The point is not continuing to make mistakes. Understand and learn from your past.

Now, as far as being a criminal, you actually have to go through the legal system to be a criminal. If you have no criminal record, you are not a criminal.

As far as a link to ASD and crime. There is also link between being NT and crime. And the link is not not so straightforward. There tends to be other factors that create higher risk, for example, abuse as a child. Your socioeconomic background. Or as the article states, a head injury. Simply having ASD is not really enough.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:43 pm

That does makes sense, there must be so many factors a long with ASD from crime to happen.

Because having any developmental disorder would usually make you a victim of a crime.

Jiheisho
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 10:51 pm

FranzOren wrote:
That does makes sense, there must be so many factors a long with ASD from crime to happen.

Because having any developmental disorder would usually make you a victim of a crime.

Right, this is really complex. The actual article referenced at the beginning of this thread is a survey of serial killers and mass murderers--that is a really small group. The article is trying to understand the motivations of that group, but then for people to apply that study to people with ASD generally, that is too big of a step. (I link to the study in the previous page, if you are interested.)

And as you state, we are also more likely to be victims of crime. I think becoming a victim of a crime is a far great threat for those with ASD than turning to crime. But it is huge jump from cyber crime to mass murder or serial killing.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

29 Sep 2020, 11:36 pm

Thank you!

I understood.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2022, 8:41 pm

I think I know why that is the case. I did a research that a lot of serial killers have very high IQ, and being a serial killer is repetitive.

There is a stereotype that very IQ is a symptom of Asperger Syndrome, and another behavior that serial killers have is repetitive behavior, they kill repeatedly, they also have psychopathy, because being antisocial is not a diagnostic criteria for ASD, but they fit the stereotype of Asperger Syndrome, and it comes form the issue with the media. But those who say that there is a link between ASD and sadism are idiots.

I also explained why more criminals happened to have ASD than ever before, because the diagnostic criteria for Pervasive Developmental Disorders became more broad over the last decade and lumped as ASD. It is true that most people with ASD are more likely to be victims than being perpetrators, but if we get more technical, people with HFA are much more likely to commit crimes than people with LFA, can have psychopathy and are able to defend themselves, because people with LFA have problems with intellectual and adaptive functioning.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 4:39 am

Why are you so obsessed with this?

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 4:49 am

FranzOren wrote:
There is a stereotype that very IQ is a symptom of Asperger Syndrome, and another behavior that serial killers have is repetitive behavior, they kill repeatedly, they also have psychopathy, because being antisocial is not a diagnostic criteria for ASD, but they fit the stereotype of Asperger Syndrome, and it comes form the issue with the media. But those who say that there is a link between ASD and sadism are idiots.

Their need to kill is more deep than simply being repetitive. If you want repetitive stimulation, why kill? Why go through all that trouble and make yourself vulnerable. to the law? They are trying to destroy some ideal (love, vulnerability, etc.) to prove to themselves it is not real. This is a mark of "personality disorder."

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 May 2022, 5:14 am

I think having ASD makes one more susceptible to experiencing trauma at the hands of others.
Experiencing trauma at the hands of others is what would actually cause a person to be violent towards others.
Therefore there is correlation between ASD and killers but not causation.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 5:17 am

Where did all the members go...long time passing....

RIP btbnnyr, Verdandi and Kingdom of rats...we all miss you

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2022, 11:18 am

HighLlama wrote:
FranzOren wrote:

Their need to kill is more deep than simply being repetitive. If you want repetitive stimulation, why kill? Why go through all that trouble and make yourself vulnerable. to the law? They are trying to destroy some ideal (love, vulnerability, etc.) to prove to themselves it is not real. This is a mark of "personality disorder."

That right there is a red flag for Autism Spectrum Disorder. Like, your sensory issues is so bad that you feel the need to commit such serious crime, but that type of thing is also tied to Antisocial Personality Disorder, because ASD alone doesn't cause you to commit crimes, specifically serious misdemeanors and felonies.

Repetitive stimulation is a sensory issue, and the doctors would diagnosed those serial killers with PDD-NOS, because not everything they did is autistic behavior.