Are there any Autistics here who suffer from a phobia?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2014, 6:46 am

I've been diagnosed but still disbelieve the Asperger's Syndrome diagnosis that happened at 6 years old, but I'll go along with it for now. I have a severe phobia of Bees, Hornets and Wasps. I get that they perceive us as threats, always view it as provokes (they're unlikely to grasp the thought however), don't understand 'right and wrong' (or have their own unique definitions of it) and never sting us just to be mean (even Yellow Jackets) while some perceive it as unprovoked, but I'd rather not be stung. Here's how it impacts me:

1. I avoid barbecues as these are known to attract Yellow Jackets and some other Wasps as they can usually smell the sugar or meat at them. However, there are a few techniques that I've come across out that could greatly reduce the odds of them appearing. There's even a way to trick them to leave.

2. I avoid heading outside during the day as much as possible due to this phobia and will often be locked in for weeks because of this phobia. I even lose my ability to concentrate when I see one from any distance.

3. I leave my front door closed.

4. When one flies by me, I panic and freak out. Yeah, it's difficult for some us to hang in there as all of then are terrifying.

5. I avoid flowers.

6. Since there's a Carpenter Bees nest on my property, I obsessively make sure that they have no way of coming in and that there are no smells that would summon them.

7. I wear black.

This phobia has been lifelong so far, and I remember becoming unconscious one day after being stung by a Yellow Jacket many years ago when one flew into the classroom. Who else has one? How does it impact you, or how did you get past it?

Zorrotrainer14
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 May 2014, 7:25 am

I have glossophobia, which is the fear of public speaking. Actually sometimes I just fear speaking in general. However, I suppose this sort of goes along with autism.

I did take liberty of researching other random phobias. Some seem a little weird, but you know, we all have our fears. Results to follow

Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.
Anglophobia- Fear of England or English culture, etc.
Anuptaphobia- Fear of staying single. (Hah, I'm sure there are many high schoolers with this fear)

And hey, I did find a word for your fear; Apiphobia- Fear of bees.

I am still in the A's but I will keep looking

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

20 May 2014, 7:30 am

Zorrotrainer14 wrote:
I have glossophobia, which is the fear of public speaking. Actually sometimes I just fear speaking in general. However, I suppose this sort of goes along with autism.

I did take liberty of researching other random phobias. Some seem a little weird, but you know, we all have our fears. Results to follow

Allodoxaphobia- Fear of opinions.
Anglophobia- Fear of England or English culture, etc.
Anuptaphobia- Fear of staying single. (Hah, I'm sure there are many high schoolers with this fear)

And hey, I did find a word for your fear; Apiphobia- Fear of bees.

I am still in the A's but I will keep looking

Thanks, and that does seen applicable in my opinion. Yeah, I can have a phobia of public speaking/Glossophobia, but only if I'd have something to present that would come off as humiliating or if I'm unprepared/disorganized.

dragonriko
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 May 2014, 2:38 pm

I have a phobia of moths, even when they are dead, I keep thinking they will fly into my mouth, even when they are dead, it is soooo creepy, shudder

seahawksfan46
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

21 May 2014, 3:03 pm

dragonriko wrote:
I have a phobia of moths, even when they are dead, I keep thinking they will fly into my mouth, even when they are dead, it is soooo creepy, shudder

In spite of them, at least they don't sting. At least Cucumber is a repellent towards all Wasps.

BarkMeow
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 May 2014, 3:44 pm

I am not Autistic however I think I might suffer from phobias.

Don't get me started on any flying insects. I hate mosquitoes because they are highly annoying. Flies are also annoying and if it lands in my drink or food then I am done eating. I don't know why bees scare me but they just do.

I am trying to overcome public speaking.

I do not like to be around a lot of people especially if they block my way.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 12:12 am

i have Emetophobia, an INTENSE fear of Vomit, or Vomiting, i also have a fear of the dark.

theres also

Balloons,
Heights
people in mascot outfits
and a lot more.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

HeDon
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 May 2014, 10:54 am

I have the biggest phobia of slugs.
When I took my dog for a walk one summer night, I had to turn back as there was thesegiantslugs on the path, I get all flustered and teary.
Another is people, especially babies screaming or crying. Whenever they do, I have to get away somehow or if I'm in a bad enough mood I give the child's parents an earful. haha :)

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

22 May 2014, 6:12 pm

seahawksfan46 wrote:

1. I avoid barbecues as these are known to attract Yellow Jackets and some other Wasps as they can usually smell the sugar or meat at them. However, there are a few techniques that I've come across out that could greatly reduce the odds of them appearing. There's even a way to trick them to leave.

Would you mind sharing the techniques? Because I too have a fear of bees, though I think it was mainly due to the fact that I was never stung until I was 21. It didn't even hurt really, though the experience was terrible. I was driving when I hit a bump and all of a sudden, a disoriented bee was in my lap. I panicked and tried to throw him out the window but he got me in the hand as I tossed him out. Took me a few minutes to calm down from that one (which is even worse cause the other day a wasp was crawling around my back windshield when I noticed it was...*shudder*...inside not out. Luckily it flew out the back window).

I was also hugely afraid of spiders for a long time, but nowadays they're not as bothersome (for some weird reason, it's mainly Daddy Long Legs that freak me out). I think it's just the thought of them touching me that freaks me out.

Klowglas
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2014, 6:29 pm

I could imagine a fair bit of us might have Agoraphobia, which is what I have. Many unpleasant social experiences as a teenager led me to avoid them, avoiding social encounters kept me indoors, and over a prolonged period of being accustomed here, I can no longer go outside without feeling great anxiety and disruption.

I can imagine a lot of aspies going through the same exact experience.

BarkMeow
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 May 2014, 7:18 pm

I also have a huge fear of blood. I don't like bloody noses either. I also fear falling down because it can also lead to my fear of blood.
Not sure if this counts as a fear/phobia but public restrooms is another one. :)