Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2018, 9:27 pm

My mom has tried to get to know NT parents of autistic people and get me together with the NT parents' autistic children. It never seems to work out because these NT parents never want to make plans to introduce their autistic children to me. Their children are teens and young adults. I think these NT parents only want their children around well connected families. I think it is rather unfortunate because I think I would be a good influence on their kids since I understand the struggles of being autistic. Have any of you experienced this?

AceofPens
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

05 Jul 2018, 10:03 am

It might not be the parents themselves who are reluctant to have their kids meet with you. The parents of kids I used to play with in grade school have often tried to invite me over through my mom. She always refuses on my behalf because she knows I can't handle social interaction except under specific circumstances and would refuse the invitation if given the choice. And since these kids are older, many of them might not like the idea of having such things set up for them anyway. If you're set on helping autistic kids, there are programs set up for that, like those "big brother" organizations. No need to gripe about the parents - sorry if I sound rude, but my mom's parenting has been very badly and unjustly criticized by people who don't understand my needs. I prefer that parents of autistic kids be given the benefit of the doubt, NT or not.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 4:21 pm

There's some definite truth to parents preferring their kids being around well connected families. Don't be so quick to dismiss what Elaine says just because your experience was better.

ladyelaine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 4:47 pm

The NT parents' autistic daughters are a no more than a couple years younger than my sister. I wanted to get to know them and compare notes on our experiences as autistic people. Their NT parents are from weathly, established families in my area. Even those that aren't real weathly want to cosy up to the wealthy families in town. My mom would have liked to have had supportive friends that want understand the struggles of raising autistic children, but she never had that.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 5:53 pm

It all comes down to the parents place in the town social hierarchy. What a shame.