Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 2:00 pm

I didn't exactly know where to put this thread, but I am getting semi fedup with it. I don't know if it's an Aspergers/Autism thing or simply just me as the problem. Does anyone have difficulty staying as a Permanent member anywhere? Forums and chatrooms alike.

It seems I have a notorious track record of getting banned. I never know why people dislike me or why people hate me. It's always a surprise to me when the Mods tell me, there have been numerous complaints about you. What have I done? Seriously they never explained it and I just get in more trouble trying to dispute the punishment. I am seriously at a lost. How do I end up in this situation every time?

For example yesterday. I was in a Chatroom about writing. They have complained to me about going on and on and on about a subject. So I limit mysef to it. But then they complain about me having a different opinion than me and I am quote "being negative all the time" end quote. I don't know how I am being negative. I know I am a critic or can be a critic, but that doesn't mean I am negative. Before I digress.

Yesterday the conversation went like this:

-Two people were talking about a show called Firefly, I just discovered Firefly this year I know how late I am and I know its been 12 years, but I honestly didn't know about the show until recently
-I said

"Um Spoilers?" <----with a question mark, which meant it was a question, which meant I wanted to know if it was safe for me to jump into the conversation of the few episodes I have seen

Normally, I would think the answer would be No we're not discussing any spoilers. Instead a chain of events that I cannot possibly comprehend occurred like a domino effect. The two people who were talking about Firefly suddenly turned on me and began to "jump down my throat" if that makes sense.

"Get off your high horse"

"The show is 12 years old, spoilers don't apply"

It then cascade about how I was an as*hole. And how I was a dickhole. They told me all the members didn't like me, they called me negative. I could barely follow. As I was trying to keep up, what was going on. I had no clue what was going on. They said that I was starting arguments, when they were the two people who began to yell at me. No one defended me. Suddenly the room of 7 people all went against me even though I did nothing wrong.

They put a vote to ban me and perma banned me for reasons of unknownness.

And this happens a lot on my forum or chatroom experience. I say one thing or someone starts an argument with me, I learned a long time ago due to my track record never to argue back, but I STILL get punished even when I don't argue any more. I just. What is wrong with me? Why do I repel people so much? What is it about me that makes people go "I just really hate that guy"

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 2:21 pm

Past me can relate.

Definitely an ASD thing.

I had about 20 different usernames on a really large and popular internet forum over several years of being banned for getting into arguments before I stopped caring about the subject of the forum and didn't have a reason to go back. Also, I didn't feel like subjecting myself to the negativity I was getting from some of the members there, so it made sense to just not spend any time there anymore. It's been years since I've been there. I've been banned on some other forums in the past, too.

It's the textual equivalent of not being able to read social cues or understand what's going on or how what you've said could be perceived as offensive in some way or another. It's all ASD related. Your perception is that you're being critical, but not negative, as it's not your intent to be rude.. but their perception is that you're a pessimistic argumentative as*hole that no one wants to be around. Just calling it like I see it.

Sure, I still get into "forum debates," i.e. here on WP where there are some people who either directly, or passively, call me a liar for posting some things I've shared.. but I don't tend to react to it very strongly at all anymore so I don't have issues with mods pm-ing me about my behaviour or getting banned etc. IMO, I'm a lot better at reading social cues both on and offline than I ever have been, so these things aren't nearly the issue they were for me when my ASD symptoms were much stronger and had a lot greater influence over my behaviour and my life. In addition to treating ASD symptoms, I've also read quite a few self improvement books as well as had years of experience/practice at being a better me. It takes time and effort to improve your abilities to navigate the social world, whether in real life or even on an internet forum.. so don't beat yourself up about it if you can't instantly change, improve, and have an intuitive understanding of social expectations and boundaries. Just work on yourself and improving your abilities to interact with others bit by bit and over time you'll do better. You may want to start by reading a book like "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome," if you haven't already so that you have a clinical baseline understanding of all the things ASD can & does tend to influence in your life, which should help you identify your own ASD behaviours that get you into these sorts of situations.. even if it's in hindsight, at least you'll be better able to do a self analysis and see what you can perhaps try to do differently in the future.

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 2:28 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
It's the textual equivalent of not being able to read social cues or understand what's going on or how what you've said could be perceived as offensive in some way or another. It's all ASD related. Your perception is that you're being critical, but not negative, as it's not your intent to be rude.. but their perception is that you're a pessimistic argumentative as*hole that no one wants to be around. Just calling it like I see it.

This! This I can understand. I have been looking for the reason for the longest time and I feel stupid because this seems to make sense now.

Quote:
Sure, I still get into "forum debates," i.e. here on WP where there are some people who either directly, or passively, call me a liar for posting some things I've shared.. but I don't tend to react to it very strongly at all anymore so I don't have issues with mods pm-ing me about my behaviour or getting banned etc. IMO, I'm a lot better at reading social cues both on and offline than I ever have been, so these things aren't nearly the issue they were for me when my ASD symptoms were much stronger and had a lot greater influence over my behaviour and my life. In addition to treating ASD symptoms, I've also read quite a few self improvement books as well as had years of experience/practice at being a better me. It takes time and effort to improve your abilities to navigate the social world, whether in real life or even on an internet forum.. so don't beat yourself up about it if you can't instantly change, improve, and have an intuitive understanding of social expectations and boundaries. Just work on yourself and improving your abilities to interact with others bit by bit and over time you'll do better. You may want to start by reading a book like "The Complete Guide to Asperger's Syndrome," if you haven't already so that you have a clinical baseline understanding of all the things ASD can & does tend to influence in your life, which should help you identify your own ASD behaviours that get you into these sorts of situations.. even if it's in hindsight, at least you'll be better able to do a self analysis and see what you can perhaps try to do differently in the future.

I will do so thank you. Now I am seeing the whole picture.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 2:32 pm

8)

Good luck! :D

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 2:37 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
8)

Not to sound like a rule breaker. I found The Complete Guide to Aspergers by Tony Atwood as a PDF online and am Now reading it. I feel kind of stupid and embarrassed because I am a 20 year old something man who should probably know what his triggers are and what he is doing wrong. Yet, I am completely oblivious to it.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 2:45 pm

AceofKnaves wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
8)

Not to sound like a rule breaker. I found The Complete Guide to Aspergers by Tony Atwood as a PDF online and am Now reading it. I feel kind of stupid and embarrassed because I am a 20 year old something man who should probably know what his triggers are and what he is doing wrong. Yet, I am completely oblivious to it.

No need to feel stupid and embarrassed about it, as what you describe is a completely textbook ASD trait. It's a symptom of ASD that you're completely oblivious to things like that, and at the moment completely beyond your control.

And trust me, every single one of us on this forum has felt stupid and embarrassed due to being oblivious about something or other that we figured out after the fact when it was too late. But the more I've learned about all of this stuff, the more I realize we shouldn't beat ourselves up over it in the least bit because all of it is simply the nature of ASD and really ought to be our own expected norms.

And I say "at the moment completely beyond your control," because as I've shared in the link in my sig I've managed to reduce my ASD and other symptoms significantly and now have much better control over all of these things.

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 2:50 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AceofKnaves wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
8)

No need to feel stupid and embarrassed about it, as what you describe is a completely textbook ASD trait. It's a symptom of ASD that you're completely oblivious to things like that, and at the moment completely beyond your control.

And trust me, every single one of us on this forum has felt stupid and embarrassed due to being oblivious about something or other that we figured out after the fact when it was too late. But the more I've learned about all of this stuff, the more I realize we shouldn't beat ourselves up over it in the least bit because all of it is simply the nature of ASD and really ought to be our own expected norms.

And I say "at the moment completely beyond your control," because as I've shared in the link in my sig I've managed to reduce my ASD and other symptoms significantly and now have much better control over all of these things.

What I wanted to know, since I am reading this is. Escape into Imagination seems greatly attached to the Female Aspergers. Can males develop the Escape into Imagination as well? Because that is something I still do today to cope with stress. I am a fiction writer, I like horror and fantasy.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 2:55 pm

Yes, that's a pretty common AS trait. I don't recall reading/learning that it's more a female trait than male. Maybe it is, but I'm sure anyone on the spectrum can use it as a coping mechanism.

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 3:00 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Yes, that's a pretty common AS trait. I don't recall reading/learning that it's more a female trait than male. Maybe it is, but I'm sure anyone on the spectrum can use it as a coping mechanism.

Sweet. Cause that part of the paragraph really spoke to me. Took me back to a not so good time in life, still not so good. I would much rather my imaginary world than the real one. Oh that sounds sad.

Its why Online forums and chatrooms appeal to me. Because I can design a persona and be more comfortable as that persona than my normal self. Man I hate sounding like a freak right now.

But basically my usernames and aliases are all characters in my mind. There are elements of myself of course. Like this thread is the truth. Its just my characters are always more confident than me, mentally stronger, the character is the strength in willpower and character. Its the mask I hide behind because I am not comfortable enough with myself.

Wow, does that sound stupid or crazy? I feel like a freak.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 3:05 pm

AceofKnaves wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Sweet. Cause that part of the paragraph really spoke to me. Took me back to a not so good time in life, still not so good. I would much rather my imaginary world than the real one. Oh that sounds sad.

Its why Online forums and chatrooms appeal to me. Because I can design a persona and be more comfortable as that persona than my normal self. Man I hate sounding like a freak right now.

But basically my usernames and aliases are all characters in my mind. There are elements of myself of course. Like this thread is the truth. Its just my characters are always more confident than me, mentally stronger, the character is the strength in willpower and character. Its the mask I hide behind because I am not comfortable enough with myself.

Neither. As you'll get to in your reading, creating personas & a "mask," to hide behind is an AS trait. In real life, it's psyching yourself up and temporarily becoming that stronger more confident person and then portraying it like a talented actor to get yourself through a given situation. It's quite draining, though, and then like an actor who's just given their best performance of their career, we tend to need time alone to de-stress and recharge. Doing it on forums with character personas is just the digital textual equivalent.

No need to feel like a freak when we're all the same type of freak around here. ;)

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 3:09 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
AceofKnaves wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

Neither. As you'll get to in your reading, creating personas & a "mask," to hide behind is an AS trait. In real life, it's psyching yourself up and temporarily becoming that stronger more confident person and then portraying it like a talented actor to get yourself through a given situation. It's quite draining, though, and then like an actor who's just given their best performance of their career, we tend to need time alone to de-stress and recharge. Doing it on forums with character personas is just the digital textual equivalent.

No need to feel like a freak when we're all the same type of freak around here. ;)

Well you definetely make feel less inhuman and feel more okay with the habits I have developed. I turned to the net, despite the fact that I don't like socializing, I turned to the net because I can be anyone I want. Anyone who could fit in, all though the irony is I don't fit in. Or maybe its when my mask begins to fade and I show people just a taste of who I really am they begin to pull away. The irony is that I create the mask to feel like I belong somewhere and yet I don't really.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 3:15 pm

You're reminding me of feeling that way in the past, and it's a good thing, because it reminds me just how far I've come. Sometimes I get a little frustrated having not made more progress in life/work/finances than I have to date, but when I stop and think about how far I've come from where I was - i.e. when you remind me of things like this - then I realize just how much I actually have changed and improved and am a whole lot more content with my progress. Present day, I can't recall the last time I actually consciously (or subconsciously) utilized a "mask," persona to get through something. I do consciously try to be more assertive/aggressive in some ways, and still have a long way to go on that, but I no longer hide behind a fictitious me just to navigate through some social interaction or another.. and it's a beautiful thing to realize that. Thanks for reminding me. :)

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 3:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
You're reminding me of feeling that way in the past, and it's a good thing, because it reminds me just how far I've come. Sometimes I get a little frustrated having not made more progress in life/work/finances than I have to date, but when I stop and think about how far I've come from where I was - i.e. when you remind me of things like this - then I realize just how much I actually have changed and improved and am a whole lot more content with my progress. Present day, I can't recall the last time I actually consciously (or subconsciously) utilized a "mask," persona to get through something. I do consciously try to be more assertive/aggressive in some ways, and still have a long way to go on that, but I no longer hide behind a fictitious me just to navigate through some social interaction or another.. and it's a beautiful thing to realize that. Thanks for reminding me. :)

You're welcome. And thank you kindly for helping me, talking to me. Because I am extremely confused right now. And frustrated. A lot of frustration. Because I just don't know how to fix myself. Or if I should fix myself. Often times I describe myself as

"Someone so broken, I am aware that I am broken, but all I can do is patch up the pieces with duct tape"

I am a Man of Duct Tape. Constantly just taping over old wounds and old mistakes. Never learning from them. Never understanding them. Never knowing what is a mistake or what was miscommunication.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2014, 3:23 pm

AceofKnaves wrote:
You're welcome. And thank you kindly for helping me, talking to me. Because I am extremely confused right now. And frustrated. A lot of frustration. Because I just don't know how to fix myself. Or if I should fix myself. Often times I describe myself as

"Someone so broken, I am aware that I am broken, but all I can do is patch up the pieces with duct tape"

I am a Man of Duct Tape. Constantly just taping over old wounds and old mistakes. Never learning from them. Never understanding them. Never knowing what is a mistake or what was miscommunication.

Been there, felt that, hated it, knew there had to be something better - since there's always a better way - and toughed it out through years of frustration until I finally met the right people and learned the right things in order to honest to God actually fix myself pretty good. Click and read the link in my signature for my story about all that, and feel free to PM me about any of it if you like.

AlienorAspie
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 3:24 pm

I think I have kind of the same problem as you, but never been banned, just ignored. In real life I look at the body language or the aura of a person most for clues, and I ask the same questions as online but try to make it obvious, by a head tilt and half smile, that I mean no harm-I am just interested. It comes across very differently in text.

I don't understand what you are supposed to say in a conversation if you don't question the details of what they've said, then add your knowledge and give an opinion on it. What exactly do NTs do differently?! One person described a BAP friend as a "factoid" and we think almost the same- we can't work out how offering information is ever bad?

I think people take the Internet waaaaayyyy too seriously. It is the place where we should be able to have free speech, and if you don't like what someone said you can just ignore it. Why ban you unless you are seriously abusing people, like being extremely racist or something.

As long as you know you are just debating (there's nothing better in my opinion) then that's all that matters. I may get more passionate in my arguments if I diagree, but I don't think you should post anything unless you can take some questions on it.

I have been on a forum for "trying to conceive", and a lot of it is good for practical advice, like what to say to doctors, what test results mean etc, but I can't do the girly "Awww Hun. Baby dust to everyone!" bit. So cringey! There are as many unwritten rules online as there are IRL! Im not sure if they do it because they want to or because they feel like they have to appear to be super-duper nice? I tried joining in but it just felt so fake and added onto my post lol.

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2014, 3:33 pm

AlienorAspie wrote:
I think I have kind of the same problem as you, but never been banned, just ignored. In real life I look at the body language or the aura of a person most for clues, and I ask the same questions as online but try to make it obvious, by a head tilt and half smile, that I mean no harm-I am just interested. It comes across very differently in text.

I don't understand what you are supposed to say in a conversation if you don't question the details of what they've said, then add your knowledge and give an opinion on it. What exactly do NTs do differently?! One person described a BAP friend as a "factoid" and we think almost the same- we can't work out how offering information is ever bad?

I think people take the Internet waaaaayyyy too seriously. It is the place where we should be able to have free speech, and if you don't like what someone said you can just ignore it. Why ban you unless you are seriously abusing people, like being extremely racist or something.

As long as you know you are just debating (there's nothing better in my opinion) then that's all that matters. I may get more passionate in my arguments if I diagree, but I don't think you should post anything unless you can take some questions on it.

I have been on a forum for "trying to conceive", and a lot of it is good for practical advice, like what to say to doctors, what test results mean etc, but I can't do the girly "Awww Hun. Baby dust to everyone!" bit. So cringey! There are as many unwritten rules online as there are IRL! Im not sure if they do it because they want to or because they feel like they have to appear to be super-duper nice? I tried joining in but it just felt so fake and added onto my post lol.

That's one of my problems too. No matter what I am who I am. And if someone pulls me over the edge I'll be straight, blunt, and honest. Which is the person people hate the most.