Conversation I don't know how else to explain it

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AceofKnaves
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 May 2014, 4:48 pm

Taken from my site chatbox:

[14:38:47] @ Necruta : still

[14:39:31] @ Necruta : it'd be better if you switched from impulsive thinking and doing to impulsive thinking, then looking at it and then doing it

[14:39:56] @ Ace of Knaves : Necruta: Easier said then done

[14:39:58] @ Ace of Knaves : A breakdown

[14:40:04] @ Ace of Knaves : 1. I was happy and excited

[14:40:16] @ Ace of Knaves : 2. I act then think when happy and excited

[14:40:45] @ Ace of Knaves: Because um...I tend to experience things in extremes. My hyperactive compulsiveness comes out before I have time to think.

[14:41:01] @ Ace of Knaves : If I was in a calmer state of mind, I think before I act

[14:41:05] @ Ace of Knaves : But I was giddy like

[14:41:06] @ Necruta : then type things in a wordpad to prevent you from doing that

[14:41:12] @ Necruta : problem solved

[14:42:05] * Ace of Knaves sigh

[14:44:24] @ Ace of Knaves: You know that's like telling me not to eat the ice cream sandwich? Right?

[14:45:15] @ Ace of Knaves: Despite being a skinny guy, sometimes I tend to eat even when I'm not hungry. Like for example, if I know there is a specific candy I bought or an ice cream or if we have something I like. I just think of eating it and then I go to munch on it

[14:45:25] Kurow has been disconnected on Tue 27 May 2014 - 14:45 (session timeout)

[14:45:40] @ Ace of Knaves: So for me. If I think about posting. Visualizing posting. And have a specific thought and compulsion. I just do it.

How else do I explain it? Am I really in the wrong here?

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2014, 4:55 pm

I can't think of a reason why that would be wrong. I see posting the same as just talking. Some people may need to really formulate what they want to say, I just talk like I do normally. My speech patterns change a little when I am typing but I don't really overly consider what I want to say before I say it. I have not noticed anything wrong from any of the posts I read from you here so I don't really know what the other person is talking about. If I were you I would not worry about it. If you say something that needs to be corrected someone will help you correct it, no big deal, life goes on. But your posts seem fine to me.

Wreck It Ralph

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2014, 2:20 am

I get it because I've experienced it.

But those who haven't experienced true impulsivity/lack of impulse control.. they don't get it. They have a difficult time comprehending that things get said and/or done *as* the thought of them forms in your head, so there's no time to reflect on the thought in order to assess the situation and respond or react appropriately vs. impulsively.

I think it's just a matter of ignorance about how this actually works. It could be that your words don't quite explain impulsivity clearly enough to the other person, but I think it's more that the other person just doesn't quite get how this works in reality and that the problem can't be solved so simply as they suggest based on their own experiences & paradigms living with their own brain and how it operates. Don't take it personally, they just can't wrap their mind around something they haven't experienced for themselves.