Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Sisaliker
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2014, 2:31 pm

When I am doing something, for example I am about to leave from kitchen when it is dark outside, and I am trying to close a lamp, I stop little before light switch or I will switch light on. After that I understand everything again. Similar thing is with dishwasher. I am used to put dishes in to dishwasher. When it is washing, I am trying to open it, luckily I stop little before handle. I can hear dishwasher but I am not thinking about it working really, I am used to that dishwasher is not working and I put dishes inside it. Same is with light, I can see that it is dark but I am not thinking about it really.

Is it normal?
Are my actions "scripted"?

LookingLost
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 3:08 pm

I quite often turn the kettle on but accidentally pour the water into my cup to make coffee before it's hot, I just seem to do it automatically. Do you think this is the same as what you're describing?

If so, I don't know if it is normal, or 'scripted'. When I do it it seems something I do it without thinking maybe because my brain is telling me that this is what I need to do to make coffee, and I have to do all the steps before I'm finished making it, so end up doing everything too early.

StarsInMyMargarita
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

02 Jun 2014, 3:29 pm

Wouldn't be able to guess whether it's normal or not, but the only example I can think of is when I put the truck in drive when I mean to put it in reverse. I can feel that it's in drive and can catch it before I ram into the car parked across from me (or a curb/garage/etc) but I still put it in drive.

I've made coffee without putting in the coffee part. That was annoying, lol.

Maybe it's habit, rather than scripted?

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2014, 4:03 pm

This is very normal, it's how we can walk and chew gum at the same time.