Forbes: Elliot Rodger was not diagnosed with autism

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

LoveNotHate
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 2:40 pm

"Just after the shootings, the family?s attorney made a statement claiming the Rodger had a diagnosis of Asperger?s. However, he backtracked on that a day later, saying instead that Rodger ?had not been diagnosed with Asperger?s.?

"Rodger apparently was evaluated by several clinicians, yet reportedly did not have an autism diagnosis".

source, http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillin ... had-anger/

droppy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2014, 3:04 pm

Well, I already knew that.
But don't worry, I have already been compared to him :lol: Do you know why? Because I have troubles with relationships and because I am frustrated that the person I love doesn't love me back.
And I was compared to him by a person who claims to be a feminist and a supporter of gay rights, disabled people, people with low self-esteem, people with social issues and people with autism :lol:

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 3:05 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
[...] However, he backtracked on that a day later, [...]

Backtracking is like shooting, you can't just say, "Oh, wait a minute, I 'take back' my bullet."
It's too late, the damage is done.

Thank you for posting this though!
It's nice to know. =)

1401b
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 3:09 pm

droppy wrote:
But don't worry, I have already been compared to him :lol: Do you know why? Because I have troubles with relationships and because I am frustrated that the person I love doesn't love me back.
And I was compared to him by a person who claims to be a feminist and a supporter of gay rights, disabled people, people with low self-esteem, people with social issues and people with autism :lol:

Ouch, what a b:tch.

Suspie
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2014, 3:21 pm

droppy wrote:

But do your sunglasses cost $300? :-D

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

30 May 2014, 3:24 pm

I had not known about the attorney backtracking on that. It doesn't surprise me, however. I said when that comment was first circulated that it was dubious.

Droppy, I am sorry to hear that.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 3:51 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:
"Just after the shootings, the family?s attorney made a statement claiming the Rodger had a diagnosis of Asperger?s. However, he backtracked on that a day later, saying instead that Rodger ?had not been diagnosed with Asperger?s.?

"Rodger apparently was evaluated by several clinicians, yet reportedly did not have an autism diagnosis".

Glad to hear that.

Although some damage has been done already.

ker08
Raven
Raven

30 May 2014, 3:52 pm

it does make me curious what he was actually diagnosed with.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 4:10 pm

ker08 wrote:
it does make me curious what he was actually diagnosed with.

Same here, but at least we all can breathe a sigh of relief over the fact this wacko
was not an Aspie.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 May 2014, 4:39 pm

I don't think it matters whether he was autistic or not. What matters is whether he'll show up in a prominent article about how dangerous autistic people are, along with fellow "not-autistic-but-described-as-such-anyway" Adam Lanza.

Fortunately, the reaction to his spree has not been "OMG autism", but rather "OMG misogyny, psychosis, narcissism".

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 4:50 pm

Heh.

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:00 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
I don't think it matters whether he was autistic or not. What matters is whether he'll show up in a prominent article about how dangerous autistic people are, along with fellow "not-autistic-but-described-as-such-anyway" Adam Lanza.

Fortunately, the reaction to his spree has not been "OMG autism", but rather "OMG misogyny, psychosis, narcissism".

agreed,just add cho and the virginia tech massacre to the list,for a reminder;
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virginia_Tech_massacre
people including his family were labeling him autistic after he shot up the college even though he hadnt been diagnosed,it is probably easier;in terms of shame and guilt- for families to accept a diagnosis of ASD rather than say a personality disorder and the effects from having had a dodgy upbringing.

am not offended in whether he is labeled with it or not but knew all along that elliot wasnt autistic-his manifesto gave a clear view into his life from a very young age and its a good thing he wrote it.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

MrGrumpy
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2014, 5:14 pm

"people including his family were labeling him autistic after he shot up the college even though he hadnt been diagnosed,it is probably easier;in terms of shame and guilt- for families to accept a diagnosis of ASD rather than say a personality disorder and the effects from having had a dodgy upbringing"

The fact is that anyone can get a diagnosis of ASD if it suits their purpose, and if their circumstances change, then it will just as easy to get an expert opinion that ASD never existed.

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:42 pm

Really!?! That's awesome!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:45 pm

Hi Ann,

Haven't seen you for like 5 days.

Who is that in your icon?

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2014, 5:46 pm

LoveNotHate wrote:

Relief to most people here, I'm sure. Does come a little late, and unfortunately this news likely will not be seen by the masses