Page 3 of 4 [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Lakif
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Jun 2015, 4:40 am

In my own experience - I'm not sure if it's a sensory issue - but I can only go a certain amount of time before I have to rest my hand on the lower part of my face and press against it, else my eyes start to get really sensitive and even water.

Again, not sure if it's a light sensitivity or more tactile, but I've had this pretty much as long as I can remember. I've tried to make it look as natural as possible, but if it occurs during conversation, it must appear quite odd.

I don't have any other salient issues, but probably many minor ones which I don't realise are sensory.

RobsPlanet
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Jun 2015, 7:37 am

Not being able to pick up on certain things (moods, emotions, etc.) is, arguably, a sensory issue. I think all people with AS have this issue.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 8:21 am

At youth I'm a sensory seeker instead.

At teen years, I became intolerant.

But at this present, just because I trained myself become tolerant, by most means, that doesn't mean I lost the sensitivity part or gain any filters. I get overwhelmed sometimes, I simply can cope enough not to have a meltdown or get distracted by it.

Basic needs is already a nuisance. I don't want to add more from it being too sensitive to cope things and a *need* for a non-stressing room.

The real sensory issue I consider right now is cold intolerance and still being a picky eater at 20. And maybe my own stomach's intolerance but I'm not sure about that.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Cockroach96
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 9:45 am

I have a slightly oversensitive gag reflex; I can't stand being in a room where a power tool is being used; sunlight bothers me more than it does normal people.
That's pretty much it. My sensory issues are mild.

iliketrees
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 10:17 am

Cockroach96 wrote:
I have a slightly oversensitive gag reflex

First time I've seen anyone here also with that. It's slightly better than it used to be for me. I had to get food absolutely tiny so I wouldn't gag on it. Eating can still set off my gag reflex. Hasn't happened in a while though. Not only that but... smells of food. And vomit. The sound, sight or smell will instantly set it off. I would think touch would too but I really do not want to imagine that.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:31 pm

RobsPlanet wrote:
Not being able to pick up on certain things (moods, emotions, etc.) is, arguably, a sensory issue. I think all people with AS have this issue.

If you mean not always picking up on other people's moods and emotions, then yeah, I think we all have that in varying degree.
I think that comes under ToM though and having problems with reading and noticing/paying attention to expressions and subtle behavior.
But if you mean one's own moods or emotions, then no. I have always been very in tune with how with how I feel. I certainly don't have alexithymia, nor do I see it as anything to do with AS.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 1:58 pm

I think I have mild sensory issues, as my sensory problems don't cause major issues in my life.

Sight: I have many sight sensitivities, and have had ever since I was little. Things like bubbles in drinks, or strings dangling off the sides of pieces of food, set off my gag reflex. I also have issues with people having food on their face, and people showing their underwear. Graffiti, or patterns where they aren't supposed to be, really bug me.

Sound: I don't like sudden loud noises. But loud noise in itself doesn't bother me at all. I have, though, developed an aversion to people talking in class or in a library, due to a fear I have of being told to be quiet.

Smell: I have an underdeveloped sense of smell. Everyone else will be talking about a bad smell, and I won't smell anything.

Touch: I prefer very comfortable clothes. I try only to wear V-neck sweaters, because anything else feels like it's riding up on my neck and I am obsessive about making sure the shirt and sweater are nicely lined up. Sometimes even with a V-neck sweater, I feel uncomfortable. I also sometimes find tight pants uncomfortable if it's cold. I try to wear as few layers as possible, and hardly ever wear jewelry, because comfort is really important to me.

I also have a low threshold for pain, and especially sickness. When I'm sick, I sort of feel like I can't stand it and am going to "die". This is why I'm scared of getting older.

Taste: I have my likes and dislikes like everyone. But when I don't like something, I kind of have a hard time eating it. I don't know if that's normal or not.

Waterfalls
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2015, 3:50 pm

Skilpadde wrote:
RobsPlanet wrote:

If you mean not always picking up on other people's moods and emotions, then yeah, I think we all have that in varying degree.
I think that comes under ToM though and having problems with reading and noticing/paying attention to expressions and subtle behavior.
But if you mean one's own moods or emotions, then no. I have always been very in tune with how with how I feel. I certainly don't have alexithymia, nor do I see it as anything to do with AS.

That's interesting. I have been told I have alexithymia and have read it is associated with AS and autism, but for me I think it's finding words for emotion and using language to describe that is difficult, I don't think I'm oblivious.

Do you use many terms or a few when you talk about feelings?

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 5:22 pm

I don't understand how to judge my Sensory perception. I have Highly acute Of all the five senses except Eye sight which is still probably above normal. I can hear people from fifty feet away. I have no clue if this is mild or severe.

JakeASD
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 5:42 pm

Ordinarily my sensory issues are quite mild. But they do worsen if my anxiety levels increase.

I begin to sweat more and external sounds become somewhat more amplified. I think flatulence can be a manifestation of anxiety, too.

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

16 Dec 2015, 6:08 pm

I don't have sensory issues, but if i have too much information at once or if someone tells me information that I cannot understand or is conflicting then it can make me overwhelmed and shut down.

I was diagnosed as partialy fitting criteria for aspergers but I'm still on the spectrum officially because i fitted the criteria because of how I was in childhood and social difficulties I still have.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 3:02 am

I thought I didn't have the typical sensory issues, until I learned that sensory SEEKING is sensory issues, too. I crave stronger stimuli in most senses, and tend to amplify the effects by doing two or three things together for maximum enjoyment. Like playing video games, eating chocolate and stroking my loved ones at the same time. :D I never order groceries online unless I have a bowl of my yummy home-cooked dish in front of my computer. Eating food and looking at food pictures and anticipating receiving them in a few days multiply my happiness. :D

Sometimes I do feel down and sad. Curiously I tend to do things that amplify my sadness, too. Doing neglected chores like cleaning the bathroom, calling people I didn't like, reading horrible news that makes me angry...etc. By doing multiple unpleasant things on my already sad day, it amplifies my feelings to pain, and I feel it clearly and acutely, and it can be healing. Sensory seekers usually have high tolerance to pain and sufferings. It seems like I need to turn up the volume on everything to feel them properly and to feel alive.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 9:48 am

The only person I've met IRL on the autism spectrum who claimed not to have sensory issues refused to do certain activities that can often cause sensory discomfort and didn't seem to know why. So I'm guessing they had unrecognized sensory issues.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2022, 5:58 pm

I'd consider Autism primarily a sensory processing disorder, but that'll be lecturing territory (the sensory inputs of the world are disturbed, which lead to the symptoms; the inability to read nonverbal cues can be thought of as a sensory deficit, the same with a dislike of eye contact).

Nonetheless, sensory processing deficits are considered a core part of Autism, so they'll likely be there whether recognized or not.

SkinnedWolf
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2022, 4:53 am

I'm rarely particularly bothered by my sensitive senses.
But when I'm allowed to, I'm more comfortable not wearing clothes.
My bigger problem is being too sluggish to the cold, which can cause some particular attention and health damage in winter.

Cover your eyes, if you like. It will serve no purpose.

You might expect to be able to crush them in your hand, into wolf-bone fragments.
Dance with me, funeralxempire. Into night's circle we fly, until the fire enjoys us.

HiccupHaddock
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Mar 2022, 2:35 pm

I didn't know much about autism since my son has been diagnosed in the last couple of years.

Since reading about it I wonder if I am near or on the spectrum.

Would you consider these sensory sensitivies?
- not liking to be touched by strangers, e.g. pilates class teachers, physiotherapists, etc.
- finding those makeup/perfume halls in airports make me feel overwhelmed, where everything is shiny and glittery
- finding that some days other people's voices make my ears throb and make me a bit on edge
- when I was much younger (e.g. a teenager), trying to do eye contact and finding it physically painful
- finding that on a cloudy day, when the clouds are bright and grey, I need sunglasses or else the glare hurts my eyes

Despite all this, I managed to give birth fine, when it got very intense I just went into a kind of shutdown where I managed to ignore the pain. Don't know how I did that!

With respect to my son, when he was a baby, the childminders in his nursery insisted he was under huge pain having his nappy changed, and urged me to take him to the doctor, who couldn't find anything wrong. It turned out they were using cold wipes in the nursery, while at home we used cotton wool in warm water. Apparently none of the other babies in the nursery minded cold wipes!