Are you Nonverbal by Choice/need? (Poll) *revised*

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Are you nonverbal by choice/need?
I am Nonverbal by need/choice 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
I am not nonverbal by choice or need, I am verbal but wish i could be nonverbal by choice but can't because it would not be accepted or supported by those around me 23%  23%  [ 13 ]
I am semi Verbal, but i choose/need 26%  26%  [ 15 ]
I am nonverbal because others perfer me to be nonverbal 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I am natually nonverbal and did not choose to be, but am happy being nonverbal 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
I am natually nonverbal and did not choose to be, I wish I was verbal 4%  4%  [ 2 ]
I am naturally verbal and wouldnt want to be nonverbal 21%  21%  [ 12 ]
Other: (please explain) 18%  18%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 57

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 6:56 pm

Okay as many of you know I am prodpminantly nonverbal due to need/choice and really my AAC apps for communication for the most part an even test and reiew them, but i got to wondering if there are others like me?

I chose to ask this in a poll as I know this is an intimate issue and some may wish to answer but not want to be publicly known from fear of criticism or being attacked!

since this cant be a multi level poll I am also wondering anyone would like to see or have a more extensive survey done via survey monkey or so please indicate yes if you would like to below

explanation of what nonverbal by choice or need means
Nonverbal by choice or need (can speak verbally but prefer to be nonverbal or you remain nonverbal because it is more beneficial and or speaking takes to much energy/ is hard)

****sorry the last one missed an otion if you voted please re-vote im very sorry :( and thank you )*****

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 7:51 pm

am partly completely non verbal as opposed to mutism/lacking voice in spite of having the verbal capacity, was non verbal by the classical definition of the word up to teenage years,the non verbal side is also visible on EEG testing, doctors discovered this when EEG testing severe challenging behavior of mine.

when the brains verbal ability kicks in, am only able to speak echolalicaly and with a limited capacity-not at all like am able to post.

used to test a few hardware based AAC devices for companies like dynavox and used to use AAC software a lot but now days have gone back to using symbols and makaton more as its more difficult going through all the steps to access the AAC software than it is to just sign,try to verbalise in some way or use symbols.

have picked 'other' in the voting.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 9:00 pm

Usually verbal, sometimes I am semi-verbal.

screen_name
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 9:14 pm

I am verbal, but speech is very difficult. I use AAC when needed.

KingdomOfRats, that is very interesting about your EEG. I'd love to hear more.

I have been diagnosed with Aspergers and MERLD
I have significant chronic medical conditions as well

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

10 May 2014, 11:30 pm

I am verbal, but I have some problems with language....Sometimes I communicate successfully with words. Sometimes I have no words to express myself and that's just the way it is. Sometimes I have words, but they do not work (I'm not understood, or misunderstood) or I am so slow to think of them that I cannot use them unless I remember them in some future situation where they would be just as useful.

I often wish I could communicate without words at all (occasionally I do -- for example, I will usually show people things rather than trying to explain things, if possible -- even if I might be able to explain verbally with enough effort -- because it's much easier and more efficient and I am less likely to confuse people.)

Love transcends all.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 12:42 am

I feel forced to talk because it is expected of me, but it is exhausting. After a day of having to be "on call" verbally--having to be ready to talk at any moment--I am always tired. I'm fluent in speech... usually... but sometimes it's not communicative. It's just formulaic stuff, mostly scripted. I don't think people around me realize just how much I script things.

It's like language in a can, open it up and throw it at the nearest person. If I get tired, my speech can be entirely meaningless, but most people don't really notice because it's grammatically perfect and somewhat fits into the situation. Most often, it'll just be irrelevant stuff that fits in okay, but doesn't express what I'm thinking or feeling, or rambles on about a favorite topic. Sometimes it's wrong--more like confabulation than lying, stuff I say because I had to say whatever fit into the conversation and I didn't have time to think of how to say what I actually meant to say.

I think a lot of the lectures I end up giving nowadays are because I was tired and that's just what came out. They're rather different from the enthusiastic aspie-lecture style, in that they're mostly just repeating old information which I learned long ago, and may even have already told the person I'm talking to. They're a product of the pressure to talk forcing me to talk, but without the energy and ability to carry on a proper conversation, stuff just comes out for no particular reason.

I do like the shift to text messages over phone calls over the last few years. It's wonderful to be able to just write out what you want to say without having to worry about conversations. Sign langauge isn't very appealing to me because of how much movement it involves and how much I'd have to constantly start and stop movements, but I would love to have permission to communicate in text more often. E-mail, text messages, online forums...

Do you guys feel that constant pressure to talk, too? It really gets on my nerves.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

bleh12345
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 3:46 am

I wish I was non-verbal.

LifUlfur
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 5:16 am

Went non-verbal for a long time then stopped (not my choice)
Speech is exhausting and wish I could stop again

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 8:53 am

screen_name wrote:
I am verbal, but speech is very difficult. I use AAC when needed.

KingdomOfRats, that is very interesting about your EEG. I'd love to hear more.

the neuro said that part of the right temporal lobe was abnormal;which is a part of the brain that controls speech and words.
that made a lot of sense as the default vocabulary gets even smaller every time am non verbal.

if was able to afford an iphone and proloquo2go woud be back to AAC as the default communication besides makaton again,might look into a second hand iphone its just a pity that proloquo2go is so damn expensive;second hand older iphones shoudnt be to bad in price.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

BecauseImArtistic
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 May 2014, 9:06 am

I talk too much, except when I really need to make something known, then I can't make the words come out, no matter how hard I try...! I guess I'm partially verbal? I chose "other."

It's like I could tell anyone every tiny thing there is to know about Pokemon, but if I need my inhaler, oh no suddenly I am completely nonverbal and I can't say a single word. It's extremely inconvenient.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 10:15 am

There are times I'm fully verbal.
There are times I cannot speak at all (and its not mutism; I've dealt with mutism as well and it feels completely differently).
There are times where speaking is unnatural, but possible. Things other people would say I'll avoid, I'll minimize words, but I'm able to speak.

I spend most of my time in the third of those categories. When I can't speak I will use an AAC app. When I'm fully verbal, I can tell the difference.

I suspect as the fatigue gets worse, I'll also reduce how much speech I use, because being verbal takes so much energy. On my worst fatigue days I am less capable of using speech.

iammaz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 May 2014, 10:38 am

I have no support network. If I do not force myself to speak I would surely perish. It is exhausting.

Touretter
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

11 May 2014, 11:05 am

I've always been verbal, for the most part anyway. I mean I learned to speak at a normal rate of development, but my manner of speech was odd. Like, besides having echolalia, I would speak in a dull robotic monotone, and my parents compared me to "Vicki" on "Small Wonder". Eventually I learned to mimic the various accents of other people, and can now better enunciate my syllables. None the less, I probably would be all the more so comfortable using sign language. In addition to ASL, I've studied Plains Indian Sign Language. I personally favor using ASL for finger spelling, and PISL for hand signs, as I find it to be the simplest, and easiest to remember. The reason why I wish I could at least largely use sign language is that I've just found it to be challenging to verbally communicate with others, when certain auditory disturbances, such as the other person clearing her throat, can end up distorting my tone of voice, and give my voice a harder edge. Neurotypicals will generally tend to judge you by not just what you say, but by how you say it. So tone of voice matters to them.

cannotthinkoff
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 May 2014, 11:57 am

I had no choice but to participate in the whole thing called life, and I hate it. I probably usually sound a bit dumb, but hey, being a girl that's fine. But I really don't do well with words, both in speaking and in writing. It's very frustrating, not being able to express yourself. It's absolutely not natural and exhausting.

I used to have mutism, and from time to time its creeping back up. Makes me sad :( Why cant I do the most basic thing people should be able to do? It's holding me back enormously.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

11 May 2014, 2:40 pm

Callista wrote:
Do you guys feel that constant pressure to talk, too? It really gets on my nerves.

From other people? I would say not constant, but definitely yes, sometimes.

Love transcends all.

fsuhunter
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 May 2014, 2:58 pm

cannotthinkoff wrote:
I had no choice but to participate in the whole thing called life, and I hate it. I probably usually sound a bit dumb, but hey, being a girl that's fine. But I really don't do well with words, both in speaking and in writing. It's very frustrating, not being able to express yourself. It's absolutely not natural and exhausting.

I used to have mutism, and from time to time its creeping back up. Makes me sad :( Why cant I do the most basic thing people should be able to do? It's holding me back enormously.

You expressed yourself very well in this post! I am "NT" and am amazed by the quality of postings on Wrong Planet. If you don't mind me asking, how long does it take for you to make a post like the one you just did?