How I distinguish high functioning Autism v.s Aspies, IQ

Page 2 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 1:47 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Reminds me what a college professor told me. "We could easily reduce the high school
drop out rate by lowering the requirements to get a degree". Which basically means
you can change the definition of things to get any results you want. But the word "pointless" comes to mind.

They do that sort of thing ALL THE TIME! THAT is why so many places now strongly desire a BA/BS. Having a BA/BS in English means LITTLE, and certainly doesn't mean you are a decent programer. One of the WORST english speakers I knew had a MASTERS in English! When I called him on it, he admitted it wasn't worth anything. It didn't even mean he could speak English well! Employers assume that it means you have a decent understanding of the basics that USED to be a given for High school. HECK, you can apparantly graduate highschool without knowing how to read! My class in CA was the FIRST to be given BASIC tests on English and MATH to prevent graduation from highschool without knowing some basics! They were PITIFULLY SIMPLE!

BTW I had ENOUGH trouble in school because I was BORED!

Steve

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 2:19 pm

Graelwyn wrote:
It is so comforting when the 'experts' cannot even decide among themselves, lol. Maybe the aspergers community should be left to make the decisions on this one since they seem unable to decide one way or another.

More and more I'm convinced that aspies are best to diagnosis and treat asperger's.

- Emerson

alex
Developer
Developer

24 Feb 2007, 2:34 pm

i decided not to join mensa because it's elitist and im not elitist. i don't believe in judging people based on their IQ because there are plenty stupid people who have a really high IQ...

and i do meet the qualifications for mensa (not trying to brag, all that means is that i'm good at taking a flawed test)...

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2007, 2:42 pm

MrMark wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:
It is so comforting when the 'experts' cannot even decide among themselves, lol. Maybe the aspergers community should be left to make the decisions on this one since they seem unable to decide one way or another.

More and more I'm convinced that aspies are best to diagnosis and treat asperger's.

agreed

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 3:13 pm

Aspiegirl89 wrote:
MrMark wrote:
Graelwyn wrote:

agreed

Same here!

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 4:24 pm

Inventor wrote:
I understand, to you the world is made up of two groups, 130+ and 80-129. Mensa marterial, and everyone else. I have met Mensa, what a strange can of worms, I quickly left. Those people have issues.

We all have issues, oh my brother. :wink:

nutbag
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 4:24 pm

Bored in school

Genius IQ

All alone on the playground

Not much success in life

Valentine's day never meant nuttin to me

asexual

strange interests

found WP

HAPPY

not good with computers

plan on a smart phone to do WP

glad ya'all are here

MY TRIBE!

I luv you all!

cynicism occurs immediately upon pressing your brain's start button

TODSKI
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Feb 2007, 4:32 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
Reminds me what a college professor told me. "We could easily reduce the high school
drop out rate by lowering the requirements to get a degree". Which basically means
you can change the definition of things to get any results you want. But the word "pointless" comes to mind.

Pointless, exactly. I think we all know we are a clever bunch. F...ed, but very clever.
Never to be elitest.Thats just not fair to the?masses?.
We did not ask to be who we are ( yes, I know perhaps we did) but niether did NT's.

Aspiegirl89
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Feb 2007, 5:25 pm

nutbag wrote:
Bored in school

Genius IQ

All alone on the playground

Not much success in life

Valentine's day never meant nuttin to me

asexual

strange interests

found WP

HAPPY

not good with computers

plan on a smart phone to do WP

glad ya'all are here

MY TRIBE!

I luv you all!

your last statement reminded me of a shirt I bought my boyfriend once; it read, "I love someone with Asperger's...and it makes them very uncomfortable." lol...who says autistics/aspies don't have a sense of humour?

Last edited by Aspiegirl89 on 25 Feb 2007, 9:23 am, edited 3 times in total.

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 7:01 pm

"I love someone with Asperger's...and it makes them very uncomfortable."

LOL That's pretty funny. So, so true.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 7:07 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
"I love someone with Asperger's...and it makes them very uncomfortable."

LOL That's pretty funny. So, so true.

I bet if I found an aspie and we hit it off, I could get her to honestly contradict that! :D Of course, I think it is funny and often true also.

Alas, I may never be able to test out my theory. 8-(

Steve

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 7:17 pm

Steve,

You'd probably get too excited, step into her space and she would scream and cry! LOL

What you need is some nice NT woman to say, Okay, you're moving in with me. Let's get your things. Then, ten months later she'd say, We're getting married in two weeks. It takes all the questions out of it.

Of course, she needs to keep you calm, let you pursue your interests and be quiet. Quiet is a big plus.

Besides, if you had an Aspie woman, who is taking care of whom? It gives me a headache to even think about it.

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 7:42 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Steve,

You'd probably get too excited, step into her space and she would scream and cry! LOL

Oh come on, I wouldn't do that. I ALWAYS think about personal space. Remember me? I'm the one that backs down the isles, etc... and AVOIDS crowds. BESIDES, I can't STAND screaming, or to see a woman cry like that. If she did because of me, I would back off.

ZanneMarie wrote:
What you need is some nice NT woman to say, Okay, you're moving in with me. Let's get your things. Then, ten months later she'd say, We're getting married in two weeks. It takes all the questions out of it.

OK, I hope you are kidding.

ZanneMarie wrote:
Of course, she needs to keep you calm, let you pursue your interests and be quiet. Quiet is a big plus.

My interests are pretty tame, etc... She might even like some!

ZanneMarie wrote:
Besides, if you had an Aspie woman, who is taking care of whom? It gives me a headache to even think about it.

I've supported MYSELF for a couple decades already. I think I can handle another. Heck, she wouldn't even have to leave if she didn't want to.

Steve

Louise
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

24 Feb 2007, 9:55 pm

'IQ' itself is a disputed idea, and IQ test results arguably have little practical use. I've heard (and seen, if you count forum posts) people with very reasonable IQ results make some very stupid statements.

nutbag, I love your post. It's so... poetic. :)

Aspiegirl89, great avatar quote, great sigline quote, and I love the quote on the t-shirt you bought your boyfriend.

ZanneMarie, what do you mean by 'who is taking care of whom'? Are you starting with the assumption that a woman should take care of 'her' man, that an aspie needs to be taken care of, both, or neither, or...?

ZanneMarie
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 10:43 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
Steve,

SteveK wrote:
Oh come on, I wouldn't do that. I ALWAYS think about personal space. Remember me? I'm the one that backs down the isles, etc... and AVOIDS crowds. BESIDES, I can't STAND screaming, or to see a woman cry like that. If she did because of me, I would back off.

ZanneMarie wrote:

SteveK wrote:
[OK, I hope you are kidding.

No. That's what worked for me. LOL I'm just trying to share the calmness of that situation.

SteveK wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:

ZanneMarie wrote:

I've supported MYSELF for a couple decades already. I think I can handle another. Heck, she wouldn't even have to leave if she didn't want to.

Steve

I wasn't talking about financial support, you nut. I was talking about take care of. Like taking care of all the chaos of life and the domestic stuff and affection and all that. I can't see myself in AS/AS because somehow none of that would get done. We'd probably both starve or die of some strange illness neither one of us noticed. At least with me, someone has to be taking care of all that stuff. I can take care of my own money.

Oh! And who is supposed to remember the anniversary??? The list goes on. <sigh>

SteveK
Veteran
Veteran

24 Feb 2007, 11:29 pm

ZanneMarie wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:
Steve,

SteveK wrote:

ZanneMarie wrote:

SteveK wrote:
[OK, I hope you are kidding.

No. That's what worked for me. LOL I'm just trying to share the calmness of that situation.

SteveK wrote:
ZanneMarie wrote:

ZanneMarie wrote:

Steve

ZanneMarie wrote:
I wasn't talking about financial support, you nut.

I didn't say you were.

ZanneMarie wrote:
I was talking about take care of. Like taking care of all the chaos of life and the domestic stuff and affection and all that. I can't see myself in AS/AS because somehow none of that would get done. We'd probably both starve or die of some strange illness neither one of us noticed. At least with me, someone has to be taking care of all that stuff. I can take care of my own money.

Well, I can do ok with some of that, and pay others to do the rest of the domestic stuff. As for the affection? I would try to return all I get, the other would depend on her. Judging from what I have seen here, most of you are more sensitive to that stuff than I am. Actually, with TWO people, there is less chance of starving or illnesses. OH YEAH, AS people HAVE to be able to manage money! It is ANOTHER part of the diagnosis!

ZanneMarie wrote:
Oh! And who is supposed to remember the anniversary??? The list goes on. <sigh>

I NEVER thought of that!! !! ! That is ANOTHER great reason to marry an AS woman!! !! ! Frankly, I don't think I would have a problem with that. HECK, I might even be tempted to get a TATTOO if it would help! One time, at work, some jerk decided to dock my pay as an april fools day prank. I programmed the computer to stop EVERYTHING on april first, and after a delay say "APRIL FOOLS!", and continue on. I forgot all about it, but the next april, well, the computer DIDN'T forget! 8-) I could do the same thing for our anniversary! But it is the WOMAN that makes an issue out of that. If she can't remember.... NO ISSUE!

Steve