Page 1 of 4 [ 59 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

layla87
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2014, 8:45 am

Does anyone know for sure? I hear conflicting reports that he was/was not diagnosed with the condition, and what's your opinion about the alleged diagnosis?

MOWHAWK1982
Raven
Raven

08 Jun 2014, 9:10 am

layla87 wrote:
Does anyone know for sure? I hear conflicting reports that he was/was not diagnosed with the condition, and what's your opinion about the alleged diagnosis?
I am sure he loved to eat spaghetti carbonara too or burger with American fries. Italians, you are doomed. :lol: Correlation is not causality. :P Oh, but they usually leave the important stuff out or mention it only if the perpetrator is female as a flimsy attempt to excuse her actions. I am not doing this. :roll: Most aspies are able to distinguish, so let's go: This guy suffered severe neglect as a child, divorce and a lack of bonding, alongside with the mistreatment by women in his life. Monster, my ass. :evil: He wasn't into self-knowledge and didn't want to dig into the root cause of his problems, otherwise it wouldn't have ended this way.

waitykatie
Toucan
Toucan

08 Jun 2014, 9:40 am

My understanding is that he was never formally diagnosed.

Out of curiosity, I read his whole manifesto. He was absolutely not on the spectrum, IMO. He was a straight-up sociopath.

Venger
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 11:54 am

^^^^^
yep, I've never heard of an autistic person who thinks everybody is supposed to "worship" them like he obviously did. Sounds more like a sociopath with NPD.

With people on the spectrum it's often the other way around where they feel slightly-inferior to others.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Jun 2014, 12:01 pm

He was never diagnosed.

Although none of these things are mutually exclusive with autism, he strikes me as having Narcissistic Personality Disorder, being a psychopath, and having a good dollop of psychosis thrown in for good measure.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 12:16 pm

The_Walrus wrote:
He was never diagnosed.

Although none of these things are mutually exclusive with autism, he strikes me as having Narcissistic Personality Disorder, being a psychopath, and having a good dollop of psychosis thrown in for good measure.

I agree with this. And he was not diagnosed with Aspergers http://www.forbes.com/sites/emilywillin ... had-anger/

businezguy
Raven
Raven

08 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

Has anybody ever read the book 'Columbine' by Dave Cullen? I've ready the book a few times because after the shooting, I remember being extremely upset about the whole thing. I had graduated high school a couple of years earlier, and for some reason the shooting struck a cord with me. It just came across as absolute pure even, mainly because of the duration of the event, and the fact that the two shooters eventually shot themselves.

Anyway, in the book the author gained access to Eric Harris's manifesto, notebook, etc. This guy's manifesto was pretty much a copy Eric's. Eric too tried to lose his virginity (and failed) and then after that went on the rampage. The only main difference between the two is that Eric seemed to be able to hide his sociopathic tendencies more.

So no, I don't think that Rodger had Asperger's, I think he was a sociopath. Also, he was obviously a Red Sox fan because he was very twisted.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 12:54 pm

His fathers lawyer says he was diagnosed, a family friend said he was not diagnosed but the family suspects it.

My opinion is a person who understood social hierarchies at age 9, could make friends when he wanted to, had a 140 page manifesto where there seems little problem talking about feelings. In the manifesto he did talk about therapists/psychologists but never mentioned Aspergers. I doubt he was on the spectrum.

I am convinced Adam Lanza was on the spectrum. He was diagnosed, Had the triad of impairments Social reciprocity problems, substantial impairing multiple sensory issues and repetitive routines as well as a detailed narrow special interest. The guy had a spreadsheet of school shootings going back to the 1890's and collected newspaper articles about the topic from as far back as the 19th century. The only issue is his dad said he did not speak before age 3 which would be technically HFA not Aspergers.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 1:07 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
His fathers lawyer says he was diagnosed, a family friend said he was not diagnosed but the family suspects it.

My opinion is a person who understood social hierarchies at age 9, could make friends when he wanted to, had a 140 page manifesto where there seems little problem talking about feelings. In the manifesto he did talk about therapists/psychologists but never mentioned Aspergers. I doubt he was on the spectrum.

I agree, he seemed to be socially and emotionally aware from a young age and he was obsessed with what was fashionable and cool from a young age, according to his manifesto. He wasn't diagnosed so people could have seen ASD-like traits (like social awkwardness or tendency to obsess) and misinterpreted them as AS rather than narcissism or anti-social personality or whatever in the world was wrong with him.

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I am convinced Adam Lanza was on the spectrum. He was diagnosed, Had the triad of impairments Social reciprocity problems, substantial impairing multiple sensory issues and repetitive routines as well as a detailed narrow special interest. The guy had a spreadsheet of school shootings going back to the 1890's and collected newspaper articles about the topic from as far back as the 19th century. The only issue is his dad said he did not speak before age 3 which would be technically HFA not Aspergers.

Interesting. I didn't look into his case much.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 1:46 pm

daydreamer84 wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:

ASPartOfMe wrote:

Interesting. I didn't look into his case much.

Article about spreadsheet
http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... -1.1291408

"What investigators found was a chilling spreadsheet 7 feet long and 4 feet wide that required a special printer, a document that contained Lanza?s obsessive, extensive research ? in nine-point font ? about mass murders of the past, and even attempted murders.
But it wasn?t just a spreadsheet. It was a score sheet.
?We were told (Lanza) had around 500 people on this sheet,? a law enforcement veteran told me Saturday night. ?Names and the number of people killed and the weapons that were used, even the precise make and model of the weapons. It had to have taken years. It sounded like a doctoral thesis, that was the quality of the research.?

The preliminary and final reports on the Sandy Hook talk about the multiple sensory issues.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 08 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 1:47 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:

His father's lawyer recanted, see the link I posted. And, assuming the family thought he had Aspergers, are they actually knowledgeable concerning Aspergers and/or Autism in general?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 1:53 pm

Back to Rodgers The Wikipedia editors found this NY Times article with more detail.
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/02/us/el ... .html?_r=0
"Mr. Rodger?s mother, Li Chin, filed an affidavit describing Elliot as a ?high-functioning autistic child,? and said she needed more child support to care for him. His father, Peter Rodger, countered with a Beverly Hills doctor, Stephen M. Scappa, who challenged that diagnosis, saying it failed to acknowledge the possibility of ?depression or anxiety.? Dr. Scappa said that Elliot, almost 8 at the time, should be sent to a child psychiatrist for more examination and treatment."

daydreamer84
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 2:08 pm

^
Interesting, yeah, Lanza probably had it. It's of-course only speculation we can make but he certainly seemed to have an ASD-like special interest and, as you mentioned, sensory issues. Doesn't seem likely he was misdiagnosed.

I don't like the idea that he was diagnosed with the same disorder as me and hope people don't generalize that all people with ASD are killers or killers in the making but in the one percent of the population that have ASD, there are bound to be a few people who commit horrible crimes just by chance.

NicholasName
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2014, 3:43 pm

There's conflicting information, but it seems to be leaning toward no official diagnosis.

Personally, from what I read in his manifesto, it seems like a toss-up as to whether he did or not. I could see it either way. What is very clear to me is that he had REALLY bad Avoidant Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I would bet money on those armchair diagnoses.

Shadi2
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 3:54 pm

NicholasName wrote:
There's conflicting information, but it seems to be leaning toward no official diagnosis.

Personally, from what I read in his manifesto, it seems like a toss-up as to whether he did or not. I could see it either way. What is very clear to me is that he had REALLY bad Avoidant Personality Disorder and Narcissistic Personality Disorder. I would bet money on those armchair diagnoses.

I agree. I haven't read his manifesto tho, I only saw his videos.

justkillingtime
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 6:51 pm

I thought a psychologist on TV speculated he was psychotic.