Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

lauriefrance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2014, 8:24 pm

So I know that sensory issues are a part of Autism, but I'm not for sure if they are a part of Aspergers. And I know that Aspergers is on the Autism Spectrum, I just don't know how much it is a part of it.
So heres my question, do any other aspies have sensory issues? Like textures, lights, sounds, etc.?
How do you deal with those issues?

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2014, 8:31 pm

lauriefrance wrote:
So I know that sensory issues are a part of Autism, but I'm not for sure if they are a part of Aspergers. And I know that Aspergers is on the Autism Spectrum, I just don't know how much it is a part of it.
So heres my question, do any other aspies have sensory issues? Like textures, lights, sounds, etc.?
How do you deal with those issues?
Yes, absolutely. With me personally, taste is a huge one that I'm slowly starting to conquer, although touch is another one. I just don't like the feel of bare skin, although it seems like Aspies are the exception to this rule (I've shaken hands with three in the past week, and when neurotypical family touches me, then I have issues. Can't even explain this one myself honestly). I know sudden loud noises bother some, others are sensitive to light, etc.

As far as how I deal with it, with taste I just avoid bad ones, with touch I have to wipe some fabric or fur afterwards or the feeling "lingers" and gets very uncomfortable, and those with loud sounds or lights tend to go to areas away from what's bothering them (e.g. a basement or dark room). There's a ton of others, and it varies from person to person.

lauriefrance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2014, 8:47 pm

I feel exactly the same way with neurotypical family. I'm not that big on others touching me as well, but I am trying to get over that. Although it is slightly hard when I've had no human contact for several years lol
As for the textures the biggest problem I have is with the texture of meat, so I am therefore a vegetarian.

Shep
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2014, 8:55 pm

lauriefrance wrote:
I feel exactly the same way with neurotypical family. I'm not that big on others touching me as well, but I am trying to get over that. Although it is slightly hard when I've had no human contact for several years lol
As for the textures the biggest problem I have is with the texture of meat, so I am therefore a vegetarian.
To be honest, if there's a way to "get over" the touching issue, I'd love to hear about it. Repeated exposure hasn't worked in my entire 24 years of living, and I'd really like to be able to touch family members without having to wipe my pants afterwards.

As far as texture goes, that one's not quite as bad for me, but there are some textures that I swear were intentionally invented just to mess with us, and those I do not care for. I know others are very sensitive to certain textures, but for me that's only for taste. Touching things with my hands or skin isn't as bad as when it's in my mouth. Case in point: lettuce is nice in my hands, but when it's in my mouth and feels very thin and conforms to my mouth, I can't help but gag.

lauriefrance
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2014, 10:46 pm

SquidinHostBody
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

08 Jun 2014, 10:57 pm

The Squid is photosensitive, auditory sensitive, and temperature sensitive. We work as much as we can at night, we keep blinds and thick curtains, (Sometimes even blankets) up on our windows to keep it cool and dark. We always have some from of soothing background music playing to blanket unwanted outside noises. We went out and purchased low-standing furniture and we sleep on the floor to keep even cooler. We know it sounds odd, but it really helps when we can control our environment. Stress from sensory overload comes easily with the Squid.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 10:58 pm

Aspergers isnt Offically on the spectrum but it is in the PDD spectrum, which is also where Autism is, but most Psych professionals see it as a Mild form of autism which it is. more research is needed

anyways, being a canadian, i am no longer under the Aspegers diagnoses, and now i am in the ASD diagnoses, and i can definately say i have Sensory issues and have Sensory overloads.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 170 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 43 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

ECJ
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

09 Jun 2014, 7:27 am

I have a very senstive sense of smell - perfumes and coffee smells can cause migraines.
Also, I find loud noises difficult and have a low pain threshold.
Sometimes I think it would be easier living as a hermit.

DeepHour
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 8:02 am

I don't like being touched, and when it's unexpected it's a nightmare! Hate it when someone sits next to me on a bus.

Ditto any loud noises, such as car horns. When I hear one of those out of the blue, my heart rate goes up around the 200 level!

The sound of people humming or, even worse, whistling also drives me up the wall and makes me look around for my Kalashnikov. Figuratively speaking, of course!

Anna_K
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jul 2014, 7:37 pm

I have lots of problems with taste and texture. I can't stand rubbery textures in food. If I try to eat something with a rubber like texture, I can't swallow it and when I try to, I cough it back up again. I hate celery cuz it has a stringy texture which I also can't stand. I don't like many soups, mostly the texture, but some of them I hate the taste, and my taste buds are more sensitive than most peoples. I can usually eat something and be able to tell if it is spoiled, when everyone else says it tastes fine.

Same thing with smells, I always complain when something stinks, but no one else can smell it but me.

I have problems with lights and sounds too. I can't sleep at night unless the room is completely pitch black(even a little bit of light disturbs my sleep), I am covered in a heavy blanket, and the only acceptable sound for me is quiet music or the radio. Night lights, television, hyper cats, and loud snoring are no-nos for me.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jul 2014, 9:04 pm

I have sensory issues with sound, touch, textures of food, light, and movement. I can get sensory overload very easily and I am a high functioning Aspie.

Wreck It Ralph

DarkAscent
Toucan
Toucan

28 Jul 2014, 1:54 am

I'm sensitive to loud sounds and high pitched sounds which can lead to meltdowns if too painful. I cover my ears when I hear them or turn off my hearing aids and take them out. If I can still hear the sounds then I cover my ears again. I go into the disabled toilets to avoid the loud sounds in the normal toilets.

Touch is another. Skin contact is physically painful for me and the feeling of being touched aggravates me. I have once had a meltdown from this. When I'm going out I usually wear a hoodie to cover my arms so that when people brush against me they do not make skin contact with me, and again, I use the disabled toilets to avoid this from happening and I hate crowds.

Light is my final one. Too bright lights hurt my eyes and can cause a migraine if worse. I have to turn the lights off so that it's pitch black in my room to be able to sleep. I also have reactions in my glasses that turn the lenses darker in bright situations. Again. I prefer the disabled toilets for this.

JerryM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jul 2014, 2:19 am

Yes, I have sensory issues and I'm an Aspie.

I don't really like being touched unless I know you and it's just a hug or something like that. Too often someone will come and slap me on the back and they get mad when I recoil. I'm also extremely sensitive to sound. If I hear music in the background, sounds going off or even just someone talking, I can't concentrate. Like if my fiancee is talking to me and the TV is going in the background, I can't concentrate on what she's saying. Same when I'm sleeping: if there's sounds, I can't sleep or I'll wake up pretty much instantly.

MadHatterMatador
Raven
Raven

17 Oct 2014, 9:11 pm

I hate being touched, especially when I'm trying to figure something out.
Loud voices, alarm clocks, and trains are the worst, sound-wise.
I also hate silence. I have to have audio on of some kind at all times.
The glare on the sun through windows is also incredibly irritating to me.
I also tend to be grossed out in general pretty easily.

AQ: 46

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Oct 2014, 12:20 am

Shep wrote:
To be honest, if there's a way to "get over" the touching issue, I'd love to hear about it. Repeated exposure hasn't worked in my entire 24 years of living, and I'd really like to be able to touch family members without having to wipe my pants afterwards.

I'll try to contribute my pool of knowledge / experience. For me, if I'm not touched for like... months then it all goes away for the most part. I'm much less sensitive to it because it resets. If I'm touched more and more then I'm more and more sensitive to it. This REALLY sucked for me up until about 8ish months ago because my family (my dad in particular) tried to desensitize me by touching my in the sides, neck, etc. It made it worse and worse and worse. I think it's because I adamantly explained to my mom (not my dad because he truly doesn't understand me) that for me, touch sensitivity has a snowball effect. I suspect that she told my dad because I haven't been tickled or whatever for awhile now.

tl;dr avoid touching... that might help with sensitivity.

In my post over here people say that swinging and rocking help. I honestly haven't taken the time to implement it but maybe you will.

You could also just be very serious when telling people to not touch you. If someone touches me once I'll nicely tell them not to because I don't like it / am sensitive to it. If they do it again I'll ask them to stop in a more serious tone. If they do it again then I'll give them a death glare and tell them to stop.

As far as noise sensitivity goes- I try to keep a pair of earplugs in my pocket especially when I'm know that I'm going to be in a loud environment. Other than that it's best to isolate yourself and leave the situation but of course that's not always an option.

Luzhin
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2014, 1:08 am

Yeah, bright lights, loud and/or high-pitched sounds (especially sudden ones), smells, being touched, especially a light touch. Most textures don't bother me except something that is really soft or have a 'slippery' texture (satin, silk) because my fingers can't really 'feel' them.

How to deal with them? I have no idea. The things that bothered me as a child still bother me 50+ years later.