Family Member Had a Major Allergy Test.... (Gluten/Casein)

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 3:27 pm

A family member (geeky and quirky but otherwise NT) just forwarded me something VERY interesting. They had a major allergy test done (probably the most detailed and expensive test you can get; had to be sent to the USA) for reasons that would take too long to explain and I just finished reading the very detailed report. This person did NOT have many of the allergies they did as a child but to their shock, they tested "highly sensitive" to products containing gluten and "extremely sensitive" to products containing casein. This family member does NOT have celiac disease in case you are wondering and is a milk addict.

I suspected something similar myself but was told by an "expert" as well as indirectly here at WP that there was "no such thing" as gluten sensitivity and that it is essentially all in my head. I can't publicly publish the report, but it makes it VERY clear there IS such thing as Casein and Gluten sensitivity without celiac. I'm going to try going Gluten/Casein free for a while and see if I have another positive experience, this time knowing my difficulties are definitely real and experienced by a family member. At the very least it gives weight to many on the Spectrum who make such as claim that they probably aren't far off the truth.

frogfoot
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Jun 2014, 5:02 pm

I have heard that there are two types of allergies to gluten. One is celiac disease, in which the bodies immune system attacks the lining of the intestines. There is also people who are born with a certain gene which also causes an immune reaction. In the later case, however, the intestines are not effected at all. Other symptoms can exist such as a headache.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2014, 8:13 pm

I honestly think that the diet won't help everyone with autism and maybe not even most, however I do believe there are some who are helped immensely with the gluten Cassie's free diet so good luck! I hope it helps you!

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 7:07 am

ASdogGeek wrote:
I honestly think that the diet won't help everyone with autism and maybe not even most, however I do believe there are some who are helped immensely with the gluten Cassie's free diet so good luck! I hope it helps you!

Thanks. I noticed last time I did it I felt better and my mood swings weren't nearly as bad. I'm going to give it a try this time tuning out everyone who says it's just an 'attention seeking fad'. It royally sucks being a fussy eater that's for sure!

frogfoot wrote:
I have heard that there are two types of allergies to gluten. One is celiac disease, in which the bodies immune system attacks the lining of the intestines. There is also people who are born with a certain gene which also causes an immune reaction. In the later case, however, the intestines are not effected at all. Other symptoms can exist such as a headache.

That's essentially how the report differentiated between an allergy and a sensitivity as well as the time frame (sensitivities usually take hours). I am no longer allergic to milk, but I can tell you anything dairy gives me a not so nice reaction hours later.

ASdogGeek
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 8:00 am

GiantHockeyFan wrote:
ASdogGeek wrote:

Thanks. I noticed last time I did it I felt better and my mood swings weren't nearly as bad. I'm going to give it a try this time tuning out everyone who says it's just an 'attention seeking fad'. It royally sucks being a fussy eater that's for sure!

frogfoot wrote:

That's essentially how the report differentiated between an allergy and a sensitivity as well as the time frame (sensitivities usually take hours). I am no longer allergic to milk, but I can tell you anything dairy gives me a not so nice reaction hours later.

Yes it doesn't, I'm not on that diet but I can tell you I had to go on a low iodine diet for a while and I know how much one or two ingrediants can be in basicly a everything and how hard finding foods without them can be!! ! Then trying to stick to it can be extremely hard.

http://autismdoggirl.blogspot.com/
http://stridersautismdogjourney.blogspot.com/

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 11:21 am

I've been diagnosed as both casein and gluten interlorant (likely celiac). Not because of my austism but because of other serious heath issues it caused (severe IBS problems and blood chemistry problems).

I've been on a strict gluten free diet for about a year and a half and have been eating casein free (except for a bit of hard cheese occasionally) for over 30 years.

Since eating gluten free my physical health has improved immensely. Don't think it's helped by autistic symptoms though - other than maybe reducing incidence of brain fog.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 1:43 pm

I don't have a celiac diagnosis (nor have I sought one) or a casein allergy diagnosis but I know that both affect me, especially gluten.

Tuttle
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2014, 5:22 pm

I don't know of anyone who questions whether allergies or sensitivities to either gluten or casein exist, just a general consensus that people think they're a lot more common than they are.

In your case, it definitely sounds worth doing elimination testing though. Elimination diet testing takes a good amount of time; so plan on spending about two month without either, and then test adding one back in slowly to see if you react. Add them in separate from each other, so you can see if you react to both/neither/one or the other, after having been off both for 8-10 weeks. No need to avoid both if you only react to one, but given the sensitivities in your family, worth testing both.