Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2014, 1:46 am

Not having a body at all would be wonderful...

mrspotatohead
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jul 2014, 1:53 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:
i could use a smaller nose though... :pig:

Careful what you wish for -- small noses aren't at all practical. I used to be a runner, and my coaches would always tell me, "breathe in the nose and out the mouth!" I tried it a few times and ran out of breath because it was like trying to breathe through straws -- those little coffee stirrer straws. Also, I am unable to blow my nose, so I have to use my pinky finger to dig in there for any boogers, and head colds are the worst...

Iyelix
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jul 2014, 4:40 am

I have conflicted feelings about my body. Partially cause my body doesn't match all of societies petty definition of beautiful or handsome. Also partially though, just cause I think humans are less evolved than they want to think they are, odd as that may sound, sometimes I imagine many thousand years in the future, these highly evolved humanoids who came from humans, still on two legs and able to manipulate machinery, but otherwise very different looking, and without a bunch of the massive physical drawbacks current humans have.

As I think of that, I feel really underevolved, and I can't help but be somewhat saddened by that. Some of it's just my view that humans aren't as evolved as they think, and that if the human species ever improves into a new improved species, that my body in it's current state would just be a relic of a worse time in history.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm

persian85033 wrote:
I hate everything about me.

While it would be entirely accurate to say this is in your head and that you are a much better person than you think, this isn't really very helpful. I think you already know that.

What helped for me was to think of the young man in the mirror as someone else. It's much easier to be hard on ourselves than on other people, so by thinking of him as someone else I saw him as a lonely and vulnerable person who needed a friend.

Once you start helping them feel better about themselves, you can re-associate yourself with your reflection. But that's damned hard to begin with. I'm sure there's a proper technical term for what I'm suggesting in the world of psychiatry, but I have no idea what it would be.

Thom_Fuleri
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 5:29 pm

Rigor wrote:
I'm overweight, have misaligned teeth, noticeable acne, and an embarrassing, disproportionately large set of man tits.

Are you saying that this is all in my head and that I'm actually Channing Tatum???

No, you can't be Channing Tatum. I am! :D

Seriously, though, I can relate on the teeth. Mine are pretty awful too. I've come to accept them for what they are, as the alternative would be a lot of money and pain spent on extensive dental work. I have the opposite problem with my weight. I've always been too thin and struggle to bulk up.

Acne is a fact of life in our teenage years (and into our early twenties). Beyond that time, it's usually a nutritional deficiency problem. Try to find a way to force down some leafy greens and plenty of vegetables - there are so many out there, and so many ways to prepare them, you're bound to find some you like.

But the main point is - you've got two options with your body issues. Accept them as they are, or choose to do something about them. You're not a failure or an unworthy person because you're overweight or spotty.

JSBACHlover
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 10:17 pm

I hated my body and my geeky face, so I started lifting weights, and now I'm not a skinny geek, and I look more normal.

So I think it helps to work on those things over which we have some control.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2014, 11:38 pm

mrspotatohead wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:
i could use a smaller nose though... :pig:

Careful what you wish for -- small noses aren't at all practical. I used to be a runner, and my coaches would always tell me, "breathe in the nose and out the mouth!" I tried it a few times and ran out of breath because it was like trying to breathe through straws -- those little coffee stirrer straws. Also, I am unable to blow my nose, so I have to use my pinky finger to dig in there for any boogers, and head colds are the worst...

oh. i'm sorry about that.
i've found that throughout my life, my left nostril has been completely blocked, or very difficult to breathe through. even when i'm not sick.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

YourMajesty
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 6:50 am

I don't hate my body. :) I personally don't see why I would. It functions and isn't horribly misshapen. It's always with me and I'm not sure if I feel a strong ''detachment'' from my body.

I'm also sensitive in a strange way. When someone hates on their body, calls it disgusting, ugly, hideous etc it somehow 'hurts' (lack of better word) me. I don't know if I can really put it to words in English, but it somehow touches me that a body, which is basically what someone IS, is considered hideous or disgusting because it's not like what you see in commercials (aimed to make you strive for a certain ideal; hint: actual bodies don't usually look like that! And even if so, what the heck). It's not even an opinion that I have, it's a feeling I've had since my early childhood. (from what I can remember, also related to my mom)

Edit: by the way, I make a distinction between insecurity and hatred for the body. My body's fine to me, and I never feel bad about it. However, I can feel insecure in relation to others and other's opinions, such as when I really like a guy or something. The feeling usually isn't very strong luckily because I know I can't really change what I look like anyway and if it's so hideous to him we're not meant to be together anyway. A deeper feeling remains however but I can live with that. But as I said, to me there's a slight distinction between the two.

(not a native speaker)