Page 3 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Jenna403
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

16 Jul 2014, 5:16 pm

Ha ha yeah she's something all right. Lol

Her friendships are mostly reciprocal. She does have a hard time reading whether or not someone wants to talk to her or not but I believe that's just more of an age thing. She just wants everyone to be her friend.

She HATES playing on her own. She loves playing imaginary games with kids and other adults (not me because I'm terrible at it).

She seems fairly normal for her age. Slightly more social than other children and with a better vocabulary but that's all really. Oh and her physical skills are more advanced than other children. She could use a fork at 12 months old,cut her own food by 16 months, and climb fences by age 3. She makes her own breakfast, buckles herself into her booster seat, does her own laundry, and takes care of her baby sister. She's more functional than I am at times lol.

About a year ago, She used a screw driver to remove the door handle on her bedroom door for no reason. That was an interesting day

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 5:20 pm

WOW! You need to really watch her! LOL!! I can imagine her taking a screw driver and dismantling the whole house! LOL! She sounds great. What a blessing for you to have her.

Wreck It Ralph

mattschwartz01
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

16 Jul 2014, 5:50 pm

I had an evaluation by a psychiatrist today and had the results almost immediately. The entire evaluation lasted almost four hours in which the doctor was careful, methodical, and compassionate. The evaluation was not inexpensive. If you are interested in specifics, send me a private message. The doctor gave me a treatment plan and I'm looking forward to the next steps and maybe getting a productive direction for my life.

tall-p
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2014, 8:12 pm

Jenna403 wrote:
I told him that a diagnosis is important for my peace of mind.

I think that this happens to a psychiatrist almost never. And when it does happen, 99% of the time the person wants money from the government, or some kind of benefits.

Jenna403

17 Jul 2014, 11:09 am

Well, I'm not going to lie, the government disability tax break would be nice. Same with the special accommodations at school. Even without those things though, I still need to know. I want to know if this is the reason that ive felt different my entire life. Just from reading about aspergers and by speaking to other Aspies, I am 100% sure that I am on the spectrum. My life has been just a huge jumble of challenges and misfortunes; it would give me great peace of mind to know that at least there was a reason for it.

I also don't agree entirely when the doctor said "there is no treatment". There may not be a drug that will magically cure all my quirks but I know from experience that things can get a but better. Through determination alone, I've learned to minimize some of my more troublesome traits. For example, I used to be really bad for having only one sided conversations. I would go on and on about myself, never letting the other person speak. Now I have a trick to reduce that problem. When conversing with someone now, I imagine a tennis match. When someone says "hello", they've hit the ball (conversation) to me. After a short reply, I then hit it back to them, etc. I've also started watching people's feet in order to read when they want to leave a conversation. I know if their feet are pointed away from me then that most likely means that they are wanting to leave.

I am confident that if I've been able to learn of these skills, that with some assistance, I will be able to learn more.