Writing a book on people with disabilities

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

pauly
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Feb 2007, 8:38 am

Hi

I would like to introduce myself as Paul . I am 17 years old and am currently finishing my last year of high schooling. I live in Australia and go to the school Mannum Community College which is located about 1 hour away from Adelaide in the state of South Australia.

As part of my year 12 studies, I am going to be completing a book on people living with disabilities and one of the disabilities I am covering is Asperger's along with other disabilities such as Muscular Dystrophy, Autism, Spina Bifida and acquired Brain Injury

I am writing a book on people with disabilities because I am very passionate about people living with disabilities as I have one myself, Cerebral Palsy, a disability which affects my muscles and the way they function both in the upper and lower parts of the right hand side of my body. I want to raise the awareness of people with disabilities because I believe that there are a lot of people with disabilities who have some amazing talents but unfortunately a lot of these people are too scared or afraid to show there talents because they are afraid of what other people may think of them and this is something I want to change.

I know whats it is like to live with a disability and know what it feels like because when I walk, I walk with a limp and I sometimes get people staring at me because of the way I walk. I don't know about you guys but this is something I certainly want to change as I believe in people with disabilities.

I also believe that when people live with a disability, the general public don't always accept people with a disability for who they really are and that is something I want to change also

I am currently in the researching stage of writing my book on people with disabilities and was wondering if any of you parents or anyone else for that matter would like to have some input into the book by supplying any stories on their children or other information, ideas or something relevant to this project of writing a book on people with disabilities. I have come to this forum because I would like some stories on Asperger's

I am writing this book as part of a the school subject, Community Studies which is a school based subject. I am planning to have this book done by the middle of this year ready for publication by about July.

I thankyou for reading this post and I look forward to hearing from you all

If you like you can also send me an email at [email protected]

Thanks Again
Paul
Mannum Community College

9CatMom
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:55 am

It sounds like a fascinating book! Good luck to you!

ProfessorX
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:31 am

I think that is a great idea. I can recall how at one time I attempted to write a book about my life with Aspergers but, unfortunately was not able to maintain my focus with such a project however, I wsih you the best of luck though.

Professor X

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 12:21 pm

Truthfully Asperger isn't a real disability so much as it is a difference. I mean yeah, not having the NT social skills and living in a NT dominated world makes things more difficult for us, but that's more of a contraption of living in a NT-dominated society than a biological disability. But by that merit you could say it was/is a disability to be jewish, or black, or native american, or gay. We've generally got far higher intellectual skills than most NTs.

cruimh_shionnachain
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 6:08 pm

snake321 wrote:
Truthfully Asperger isn't a real disability so much as it is a difference. I mean yeah, not having the NT social skills and living in a NT dominated world makes things more difficult for us, but that's more of a contraption of living in a NT-dominated society than a biological disability. But by that merit you could say it was/is a disability to be jewish, or black, or native american, or gay. We've generally got far higher intellectual skills than most NTs.

Yeah. We prefer the term "Individual-Who-Is-Not-Quite-As-Socially-Aware-As-Your-Average-Joe-But-Has-Other-Things-Going-For-Self-And-Honestly-Doesn't-Really-Care."

More politically correct, you see.
The problem is a lack of understanding that AS is a difference, not a disability.

Apathy is not a vice, it is a relieving and downright enjoyable life-choice.

dgd1788
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 9:22 pm

I would never allow my Asperger's do be a hindrance or what you call disability. It is a stepping-stone that I will learn to overcome without altering anything and holding on to my strengths.

snake321
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2007, 11:54 pm

cellogirl42 wrote:
snake321 wrote:

Yeah. We prefer the term "Individual-Who-Is-Not-Quite-As-Socially-Aware-As-Your-Average-Joe-But-Has-Other-Things-Going-For-Self-And-Honestly-Doesn't-Really-Care."

More politically correct, you see.
The problem is a lack of understanding that AS is a difference, not a disability.

Yeah.... I don't really believe in political correctness though, it ignores logic and facts for fear of offending someone.... I prefer Common Law Methodology, it's a more logical and evened out system of assuring that everyone is equal in the system, which is basically based around common since. But yout right about them being ignorant to treating AS as anything other than a disability.