Cold Feet About Psych Appointment Tomorrow

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Earth_Intruder
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Jul 2014, 9:21 pm

So, tomorrow I see my psychiatrist for the first time in like 6 months. I see her regularly since about 5 years ago when I had my first (and hopefully last) psychotic break and came away with a Bipolar diagnosis. I've also been diagnosed with Anxiety disorder and Panic disorder. Anyway, my medication is working out great. My mood is steady and my anxiety is fairly well under control. So, there isn't much to talk about except that I realized about a month or two ago that I probably have Asperger's and took several tests online that support that assumption. I want to bring it up, but I feel weird about it. I feel weird about self-diagnosis and feel like psych professionals probably do too. At 43, I feel like maybe it doesn't matter anymore. I don't know if it will change anything or if it will change a lot. I want to belong, but I'm not sure I want another label. I've had such a difficult life that can't really be accounted for by my Bipolar disorder or anxiety. I feel like no one understands the extent of my challenges because I have isolated myself so much. I have a life partner of 16 years. I don't think anyone understands that I depend on him SO much. I don't think I could function without him. I've mastered the fake smile and can force eye contact pretty well. I'm not sure what I want to say here.... Was this hard for anyone else?

Ann2011
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 10:01 pm

Well, it's tricky to bring up suspicions to a professional. I would specifically mention symptoms like eye contact, any sensitivities to touch or whatever you experience . . . but don't come out and say "I think I have autism." That will offend them, as they are there to diagnose you. Good luck - glad you are doing well with your current treatment.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2014, 10:59 pm

as a former doctor, i would say to express your concerns. it's a doc's job to address them. you are the expert on you.

that said, my psychiatrist isn't an autism expert, so wanted me to travel if i wanted a diagnosis. not worth it to me. i know who i am. if i needed a diagnosis for some sort of benefits, it would be different.