Page 1 of 6 [ 86 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 9:53 pm

blackdove wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I've heard about these movies, but have never checked them out for rental.
Are they really that good ???

yes. rent them. you will like.

Add my recommendation, too (for both "Crumb" & "American Splendor").

Saw "Crumb" in theater when it came out in 1995 (9 years before my dx) & was struck by all 3 brothers' oddness/eccentricity.
Later, seeing "American Splendor", I identified with aspects of both Harvey & his wife. After my dx, I thought back to the Toby character & wondered about his likely label/category-but couldn't recall which film that was in, until someone reminded me about "American Splendor".

So, yeah-I appreciate seeing confirmation of my hunches (am not usually skilled at "spot the aspie"-but occasionally I get a certain sense of "this has got to be someone on the spectrum").

krex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2008, 11:55 pm

It seems somehow ironic that there are several movie characters that have aspie traits that seem popular in at least a "cult movie" way...it's to bad that this liking for human exentricity doesn't relate in an increase in aspie guys getting dates. I guess it is like watching serial killer movies...fun to watch but you don't want them in your neighborhood :twisted:

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

aguales
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2008, 1:05 am

krex wrote:
It seems somehow ironic that there are several movie characters that have aspie traits that seem popular in at least a "cult movie" way...it's to bad that this liking for human exentricity doesn't relate in an increase in aspie guys getting dates. I guess it is like watching serial killer movies...fun to watch but you don't want them in your neighborhood :twisted:

lol :lmao: I know exactly what you mean. I would see people or characters with aspie traits in comedic material, indie films, or in whatever entertainment medium. And for the longest time :hmph: , I would:

1. think I could be the funny guy (because there would be a character with aspie traits in sketch comedies or whatever, yet not realizing that even though I was laughing with the character, others were laughing at the character)

2. think that I could fit into the hipster mold (just because I watch some indie/cult film that revolves around a character with "charming" aspie traits)

3. think that someone might immediately fall in love with me, weirdness and all (just because I watched some romantic comedy or drama where the lonely, weird aspie-ish character finds true love or true love finds him/her)

4. think that I could be a tough guy (watching gangster films or tough guy characters that seem to revolve around an alpha-aspie i.e. some italian and asian gangster films [Dare I say, Michael Corleone or the John Woo/Chow Yun Fat movies?])

I think in being inspired by these happy or intrigueing plot constructs, I found myself often sad and disappointed when *surprise* reality doesn't exactly follow an aspie-friendly, aspie-focused script. I was pretty thick-headed about it all...

:pale: It's hard to give up on the innocence and hope that illusions provide. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally pessimistic...just tired.

This post has become "The Haven" material :?

Belfast
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2008, 3:00 am

aguales wrote:
I think in being inspired by these happy or intrigueing plot constructs, I found myself often sad and disappointed when *surprise* reality doesn't exactly follow an aspie-friendly, aspie-focused script. I was pretty thick-headed about it all...

:pale: It's hard to give up on the innocence and hope that illusions provide. Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally pessimistic...just tired.

This post has become "The Haven" material :?

Going bit off topic, but...
That happens when I watch Britcoms-I think, "oh, they're so tolerant of eccentricities !".
Like, it's not even made a big deal of, all the characters are given quirks & flaws but are essentially presented as "normal" (not unusual for being unusual, if that makes sense)-neither ostracized nor unloveable (and not just relegated to mascot role).
Wish "being bizarre" was just assumed of all humans, and the particular ways in which one was odd were more widely acceptable.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 7:32 pm

Digging up an old thread here ;)

Just watched Crumb last night, you can watch the entire thing free right now at Crackle.com.

If those Crumb brothers aren't on various parts of the spectrum, I will eat my hat. I could relate way too well with the guys, it kind of made me laugh at a few parts.

Robert rocking, his record collection, his wife talking about his small group of friends, how he clams up around new people, he doesn't drive, he hates when people make money off of his artwork, didn't even look at the guy who asked for an autograph, his piggy-back rides and wrestling, how his son said he doesn't get emotional or give hugs...the part where he was talking about how America has become so commercialized that it has no culture anymore was like I was watching myself :oops:

Charles mentioning that he was a good looking kid in school, but girls didn't like him because something was wrong with his personality...his "going against the rules" in the comic art test, his massive book collection, and aversion to literature newer than Victorian era, still living with his parent...

Max waving his hand around while he was talking, his meditation...

And a few parts I couldn't relate to quite as well, but are definitely "clues", like Robert's drawing/sex obsessions, and Charles's hypographia...

Good documentary, though it was kind of sad in a few parts, especially Charles's fate =/ And afterwards, I was checking IMDB, and a bunch of people were talking about how R. came off as "uptight" and "an ass" and whatever in the movie, and that they didn't care for him as a person...wow...it reminded me of my friends telling me that everyone at school was talking about me behind my back =/

millie
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2009, 7:44 pm

SabbraCadabra wrote:
Digging up an old thread here ;)

Just watched Crumb last night, you can watch the entire thing free right now at Crackle.com.

If those Crumb brothers aren't on various parts of the spectrum, I will eat my hat. I could relate way too well with the guys, it kind of made me laugh at a few parts.
/

You shall not be dining on hat. No stetsons, boaters, bowlers, beavers or panamas on your table this evening. :lol:

luchog
Raven
Raven

03 May 2009, 7:39 pm

Interesting thread.

I've been a big fan of Robert Crumb's work for my whole life. It displays the same sort of detachment and sense of alienation and alienness that I've felt my whole life.

I own Zweigoff's Crumb; and I've seen The Confessions of Robert Crumb. I've also seen American Splendor, although I'm not really familiar with Pekar's work aside from that.

I have no doubt that all of the Crumb brothers are/were on the spectrum somewhere; particularly since they display a lot of the co-morbid traits, like OCD.

cav
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

13 May 2009, 12:51 pm

I just found your site. I don't touch computers myself. I'm here with my girlfriend who's even more "aspie" than me...she's almost to the level of Temple Grandin! (No So!! - girlfriend) She's typing this in for me. Hey, I love you guys!
R. Crumb

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 1:43 pm

o_O

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 6:49 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 6:51 pm

Wha? For real? Cool.

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

14 May 2009, 9:41 pm

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo wrote:
Wha? For real? Cool.

...No , I DO not think so :evil: , Robert Crumb is married - not " gf " - to a woman who he's been with long enuff that they have a grown-up child :twisted: :oops: ! 8)

cav
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 May 2009, 10:54 am

I have a wife and a girlfriend...we are "polyamorous"...is that ok? My wife knows about it...she also has a boyfriend...I have been involved with my "girlfriend" for more than 20 years....there are drawings of her in "Art and Beauty" vol 1 & 2.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 12:47 pm

Awesome! (I am not surprised)
(and regardless as to whether or not you are actually R. Crumb :wink: )

I am polyamorous as well.

I have a main partner who I live with and also a boyfriend.

s'fun.

poopylungstuffing
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 1:04 pm

I love your music btw..

My boyfriend got me a copy of Cheap Suit Serenaders "Singin' in the Bathtub"...I can put it on repeat play for hours...

I also like the compilation that comes with the R.Crumb handbook...'cept I left it in New Orleans and need to get another one.

You can send a copy to the address on my Super Happy Fun Land link below...

(just kidding) :wink:

...though maybe I'd trade you a sock monkey for it if for reals....if ye signed it and whatnots.... :wink:

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

15 May 2009, 2:43 pm

cav wrote:
I just found your site.

I hope you don't mind if I ask you a question.

After watching the Crumb documentary, I think the part that struck me the most was when you started cussing up a storm about how big marketing had become, how everyone was a walking billboard, and America had lost its culture because of this. I've always felt the same way, and it seems like it's even worse today than it was back whenever this interview took place. I can't even walk into a gas station real quick to get a Hostess fruit pie without tripping over some giant cardboard cutouts trying to sell me energy drinks, lite beer, NASCAR merch, flashing LED lighters, Scarface mugs, etc...it depresses me to think of how much money they pump into advertising, trying to sell us all this crap nobody needs, and to imagine the sorts of people who actually do buy into it.

Sorry for the long-winded rant, I get a bit worked up over this sort of thing :x

Anyway, the film really left me curious as to your current thoughts about this, what it's like in France (if you're still living there), and/or if you've been to America lately to see it for yourself.