Post something telling why you chose your username.

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2007, 6:15 pm

I chose OddCoyote because the Coyote is the trickster figure of Indian myth. An inscrutable imp possessed of satanic charisma, player of all games of ''paths and chances". Coyote is a ubiquitous being and can be categorized in many types. In creation myths, Coyote appears as the Creator himself; but he may at the same time be the messenger, the culture hero, the trickster, the fool. He has also the ability of the transformer: in some stories he is a handsome young man; in others he is an animal; yet others present him as just a power, a sacred one. More often than not Coyote is a trickster, but he is always different. In some stories, he is a noble trickster, "Coyote takes water from the Frog people... because it is not right that one people have all the water." 9. In others, he is mean, "Coyote determined to bring harm to Duck. He took Duck's wife and children, whom he treated badly." As the culture hero, Coyote appears in various mythic traditions. His major heroic attributes are transformation, traveling, high deeds, power. He is engaged in changing the ways of rivers, standing of mountains, creating new landscapes and getting sacred things for people. Of mention is the tradition of Coyote fighting against monsters. According to Wasco tradition, Coyote was the hero to fight and kill Thunderbird, the killer of people, but he could do that not because of his personal power, but due to the help of the Spirit Chief; Coyote was trying his best, he was fighting hard, and he had to have fasted ten days before the fight, so advised by Spirit Chief 8. In many Wasco myths, Coyote rivals the Raven (Crow) about the same ordeal: in some stories, Multnomah Falls came to be by Coyote's efforts; in others, it is done by Raven.

I have always seemed to play the part of Coyote to the people around me. I am sly and I menipulate others with no care. I am extremly intelligent but im to lazy to care about anything im not obbsesed with. I have never been the first but am always the second. People come to me for advice and depending how I feel I make things better of much worse for them. I had many friends but my slyness was my downfall, yet I am always happy. Im more mature than anyone I know my age but a sore loser.

Thats a bit long and I know.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:20 pm

Odd as it sounds... I did not choose mine, it is a word that just came into my mind from nowhere around 5 years ago. I had no idea what it meant, and still don't know a great deal, but I immediately started using it as my online persona since it seemed apt considering I was starting out on a spiritual path, of sorts. Since, I have had so many people ask if I am Welsh or ask what the name means. I did look up the words once and found that 'grael' means grail in French and 'wyn' mean Fine in Welsh. Some have said they are sure there is a character in the Arthurian legends who has the name Graelwyn... someone else still said it is connected to the cup of truth, or inspiration, which makes sense since that is what I believe the holy grail to be essentially...Truth...or maybe, wisdom. I, however, cannot claim I have lived up to that yet, if this is the case lol.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:23 pm

My name is Tim, and I am from Texas.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

absalom
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Mar 2007, 6:25 pm

Chosen from the William Faulkner novel, "Absalom, Absalom!"

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2007, 6:25 pm

Maybe im being to symbolic these days.

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:27 pm

I assumed Graelwyn was Welsh.

Mine is from the book Les Chants Des Maldoror by Comte De Latreaumont (surprise!) I really identified with the character (he's like part aspie, part Bill Hicks, part Jeffrey Dahmer). Well, except for the Jeffrey Dahmer part.

asperion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:33 pm

I'd say that this belongs in "Random Discussion," except it's already been done in there:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=24692

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:35 pm

I am getting envious of peoples' avatars lol. I need a change soon! I used to take great pleasure in collecting all kinds of avatars, including rude ones.

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2007, 6:37 pm

asperion wrote:
I'd say that this belongs in "Random Discussion," except it's already been done in there:

http://www.wrongplanet.net/modules.php? ... ic&t=24692

Opps! So sorry, sir! Please forgive that.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:38 pm

Because it's my nickname.

asperion
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 6:40 pm

OddCoyote wrote:

Also: pic sigs aren't allowed here.

OddCoyote
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2007, 6:42 pm

asperion wrote:
OddCoyote wrote:

Also: pic sigs aren't allowed here.

Huh, why?

T-rav20
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 7:10 pm

It's my name, and twenty was convenient.

The following statement is True, the preceding statement was False.

I'm A PINEY from my head down to my HINEY.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 7:13 pm

'Tequila' refers to the leading character in John Woo's action extravaganza Hard-Boiled. If you've never seen that film and you like your action you'd do well to check it out. I didn't really fancy using the same username that I use on some other online forum and as my username also refers to a certain alcoholic beverage I thought it would be suitable.

And, for the $64,000 question: No, I've never tried tequila. I can't be doing with distilled alcohol. :)

AutisticOne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

01 Mar 2007, 8:25 pm

I dont like wiggers.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2007, 8:25 pm

On almost every other board, I go by my age-old net handle "Decompiler."

But when I came to this board, I just wanted to be myself. I wanted to represent me. I mean, just for once in my life, I just wanted to come out from behind my mask.

So I chose my real name as my handle.

:D