Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Narrator
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:35 am

I dislike steamed vegetables because they usually make me want to throw up. My wife and kids think I'm peculiar because they love veggies.

If Aspergers is possibly a throwback, could this be a related trait?

And a blank look rarely means a blank mind.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 2:36 am

I love veggies, but I usually like them undercooked or raw. I don't care for cooked cauliflower or carrots, icky. But I love them raw with a little ranch dressing. Though I will eat carrots cooked in something else, like beef stew or Chinese food.

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 2:38 am

When I was a kid I wasn't a fan of cooked vegetables, though I liked eating them raw, especially served as crudites with ranch dressing. I also didn't like unprocessed or raw tomatoes back then, but I do actually enjoy them now, provided they're accompanying something else.

I am a huge fan of cooked asparagus, broccoli, and brussels sprouts, though I will admit that I probably negate some of their health benefits when I drench them in butter and salt. A lot of people don't like these particular vegetables because they are put off by their flavor, but I find their flavor to be quite pleasant.

I also love things made with hot peppers, even though I do sometimes find the heat to be overwhelming. The flavor they have is awesome, and the challenge of withstanding the heat can definitely be a thrill, though unfortunately my digestive tract thinks otherwise. I didn't have this problem as much when I was younger, but over the last few years I've found that my stomach sometimes hurts when I eat too many spicy things.

I'm also a big fan of caesar salad and taco salad, though admittedly it's more for the toppings that go into these salads than the vegetables themselves. The vegetables are good, don't get me wrong, but the toppings (read: unhealthy stuff like excessive amounts of dairy, simple carbs, and meat) really make these salads.

For something a little less conventional, sometimes I like a nice squash cooked with butter or olive oil. It's soft, warm, flavorful, and it has the perfect balance of healthiness from the vegetable and unhealthiness from all the fat. 8)

Avacado is really delicious too, and I especially like guacamole. I like it even better as a nacho dip than salsa. :D

As for vegetables I'm not a fan of, I don't really like bell peppers, and I don't like eating corn on the cob either. Corn away from the cob is OK, but on the cob it's a hassle to eat. I'm also not as much into raw vegetables as I was when I was younger, though it's not like I don't like them. I also detest olives, and their weird texture and disgusting flavor. It still boggles my mind how a plant that produces such a disgusting fruit, can also produce such a nice oil.

Wow, I just realized, I really like accompanying vegetables with unhealthy crap. :P

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 2:47 am

I love veggies but not all of them. Boiled okra is one of those veggies I can't even look at. But there are some that I really love, steamed, raw, or roasted. In fact I had a fantastic sandwich today at a restaurant that my husband and I love. It was a Caprese Pannini. Please forgive my spelling if it is incorrect and feel free to correct it! :D But it was wonderful. It was roasted tomatoes and zucchini and whatever other roasted veggies they had on there with Mozzarella cheese and basil pesto spread on rosemary foccacia with a side of greens and all of this with a little sprinkle of Balsamic vinegar. OH MY GOODNESS! It was AWESOME!! :D It might even be my new favorite sandwich. YUM!! ! :D

Wreck It Ralph

Quill
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 7:20 am

I love vegetables! My favorites are asparagus, broccoli, kale, cabbage and cauliflower. I also like salads a lot, with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, jalapenos, and pickles plus a sprinkling of cheese and sunflower seeds with balsamic vinaigrette dressing. I like raw carrots, celery, and cucumbers with ranch dressing. I think corn is okay and I love marinated artichoke hearts.

The main vegetables I don't like are bell peppers, green beans, and mushrooms (which is technically not a veggie, but I'll list it). I also don't really like squash or zucchini. I dislike cooked celery and carrots, and okra if it's cooked any other way than frying.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 7:44 am

Yes, I do. I like meat, too, but I prefer veggies. I like both raw and cooked veggies. I don't like the idea of eating the body of a dead animal. So it's partly psychological.

I honestly don't think liking or disliking veggies has anything to do with autism. It's just my guess without any evidence. Liking certain textures might be related though. Also you never know if there might be some autism genes that cause certain preferences. But I doubt it.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

18 Aug 2014, 7:51 am

Narrator wrote:
If Aspergers is possibly a throwback, could this be a related trait?

No and no.

We're sensitive to a variety of sensory stimuli, in your case the taste and texture of vegetables.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 7:52 am

I like some vegetables; I used to hate all of them (except potatoes and corn) when I was a child.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 8:53 am

I don't mind them as long as they aren't raw but I would never go out of my way to eat a salad.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:06 am

I'm not a vegetable person (I prefer fruit), but I don't boil all these little things down to having Asperger's. It's just the way you are, Aspie or not.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 9:17 am

I like most vegetables. My favorites include corn, potatoes, broccoli, peas, carrots, green beans, and celery. Others I don't like, such as lettuce, cabbage, and onions, because they make me gag.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 10:18 am

Love veggeis too. I like them raw, and if cooked 'al dente' - in otherwords, still a bit cruchy.

If the veges are steamed until they're mushy I don't care for them.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 1:23 pm

I love most cooked veggies. Sautéed greens are one of my favorites.

However, the texture of raw veggies is something I can't stand.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 3:30 pm

I love vegetables both cooked and raw. Peas are my favourite.

SameStars
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2014, 3:52 pm

I prefer most vegetables raw, and without dressing of any kind. The texture of steamed vegetables is off-putting to me.

rugulach
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2014, 4:20 pm

Cooked veggies are my fav but I've warmed up to eating them raw lately.