Page 2 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 1:32 pm

I'm not waiting for a cure. I'm living my life and I do what I can to make myself happy each day. I don't wish to be cured and I feel that being cured would be hell for me. You're entitled to your opinion. I just see it from a different perspective.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 1:45 pm

noidentity0 wrote:
Hi_Im_B0B wrote:
i sympathize with the OP - i couldn't wish this on my worst enemy. but like sweetleaf says, unless/until they are able to surgically rewire the neural circuits (ala the old Star Trek episode "Spock's Brain") there's not much chance of becoming NT.

Thats crazy. So how do you guys cope? What makes your lives still worth living? Because i usually feel like i have no choice but to just sit and wait for it? I mean the cure.

There is not going to be a "cure". Stop waiting, and start working on yourself. I had problems with eye contact, and worked on it until I could stare down Dracula. If its social awkwardness, try asking a friend to help you with learning social mores. If its sensory issues, try using whatever helps you can.

sharkattack
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 2:13 pm

This subject pops up again and again some say they don't a cure forced on them people like me would jump at a cure.

However OP there no real disagreement because there is no cure and no hope of one.

Many of us on the spectrum dip in and out of depression.
That life it would be harder if you don't accept it.

LupaLuna
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 3:36 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I had problems with eye contact, and worked on it until I could stare down Dracula.

Now if you can stare down Medusa and not turn into stone. Then I will be impressed.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 4:56 pm

Prof_Pretorius wrote:
noidentity0 wrote:
Hi_Im_B0B wrote:
i sympathize with the OP - i couldn't wish this on my worst enemy. but like sweetleaf says, unless/until they are able to surgically rewire the neural circuits (ala the old Star Trek episode "Spock's Brain") there's not much chance of becoming NT.

Thats crazy. So how do you guys cope? What makes your lives still worth living? Because i usually feel like i have no choice but to just sit and wait for it? I mean the cure.

There is not going to be a "cure". Stop waiting, and start working on yourself. I had problems with eye contact, and worked on it until I could stare down Dracula. If its social awkwardness, try asking a friend to help you with learning social mores. If its sensory issues, try using whatever helps you can.

I have eye contact issues and decided there are other more important battles to fight.....fact of the matter is focusing on making proper eye contact would prevent me from processing the conversation not to mention it is also severely uncomfortable which would also make it hard to focus.

Lukeda420
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 6:21 pm

From what I'm reading ASD can either go either way. For some people they consider it a gift as it has given them a unique point of view or a nightmare that keeps them locked in their own heads unable to get out. I don't believe a cure will ever be founds as it is not something that really can be "cured". Everyone wants a simple answer, but when it comes to the human mind there is no easy fix (AS or NT). The deficits aspies can be lessened with a considerable amount of work but it can be done. So any "cure" that may happen to come by can only be through therapy as no pill or surgery can restructure a human brain. I think as more people become aware and informed about ASD better therapy techniques will be developed to overcome specific issues but even then it will always take a lot of work.

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 6:46 pm

LupaLuna wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
I had problems with eye contact, and worked on it until I could stare down Dracula.

Now if you can stare down Medusa and not turn into stone. Then I will be impressed.

Thanks, now I have a goal for my life.

motherof2
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

20 Aug 2014, 8:54 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
Prof_Pretorius wrote:
noidentity0 wrote:
Hi_Im_B0B wrote:

I have eye contact issues and decided there are other more important battles to fight.....fact of the matter is focusing on making proper eye contact would prevent me from processing the conversation not to mention it is also severely uncomfortable which would also make it hard to focus.

Eye contact is not that big of a worry. My husband only looks a people every 5-10 seconds and usually stares at the floor. Some might think that he is less trustworthy until they get to know him. He is a hard worker and all his employers and co-workers have figured this out in a short time frame. Socially it has not been a problem either. I look at him and he glances at me more often than anyone else and I know he is listening.

I would focus on other issues like sensory and skills that help one to live independently. Love yourself and stop worrying about others. My husband's confidence was very obvious when we met and any social awkwardness he covered with weirdness. The are others out there who would appreciate you for who you are.

Nurse_Bill
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Aug 2014, 1:05 am

The question itself implies a perspective that Aspergers is some kind of disease, the phrase, "outcast unclean" comes to mind. That in itself is a problem. Many "informed" clinicians feel Aspergers should be viewed as an acceptable variable in neurological development. I don't see that I have a problem(or at least not more than anyone else in the world. I've always viewed myself as somewhat rigid, quirky and extremely particular. I always thought I just had higher standards than most other people. The fact that there are others with similar traits doesn't negate that or diminish who I am. The problem isn't me, it's how the world views me. I can't do anything about that, other than try to get people to look beyond the stereotype. While I admit to the frustration of being looked at as if I had two heads when I mention Aspergers, all I can do is inform people and live my life to the best of my ability. In some respects I may have more challenges than others, but I also have less challenges than some people who do not have Aspergers. That's not to say that keeping this positive outlook is easy, it's not, but I CHOOSE not to despair and to embrace my strengths and work daily to change what I see as my personal weaknesses.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2014, 2:49 am

I don't make eye contact, and I never met any autistic person who talked like a computer.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

21 Aug 2014, 4:28 am

You are not born knowing language. Everything takes practice, and work. Some more than others. I have enjoyed cars my whole life. That has always been my interest. My sanity. Everything I am, and everything I know has revolved around that one thing. Now I'm the master. I'm not saying you should have an interest in cars. In fact I would recommend not. it is dirty, and my hands look and feel like a roadmap of scars. There must be something out there for you.

You must have some strengths.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2014, 5:44 am

Everyone here seems only to be talking about how to be good at things. Like developing skills. Believe me ive been a pro at all kinds of things. I didnt talk like this one year ago for example i used to talk like a proffessional public speaker and the way i wrote was like a journalist, even better. I also know how to mimic emotions and eye contact.

But WHAT f*****g DIFFERENCE DOES IT MAKE. Because it still wont be real, right? It wont have any meaning. Does anybody here know what im talking about or is it only me

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

21 Aug 2014, 5:52 am

There is not going to be a "cure". Stop waiting, and start working on yourself. I had problems with eye contact, and worked on it until I could stare down Dracula. If its social awkwardness, try asking a friend to help you with learning social mores. If its sensory issues, try using whatever helps you can.[/quote]

Where did you receive most of your help? Is it good the help that psychologists give? Or is it better to do it on your own. I found that praying helps me.

yournamehere
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Roaming 150 square miles somewhere in north america

21 Aug 2014, 6:40 am

Excuse me for being a prick please, but most cures for things is actually somekind of poison. After cures get administered, you usually end up with something that is less, instead of more. Even though it may save your life, or whatever, the actual action actually usually takes away. It does not add. By stating the word "cure", it may be like a lobotomy. Take out half your brain, and connective tissue, and you are cured.

On the other hand, if a cure was actually something like superman, or some well rounded super savant, Jesus Christ type being, than I say good luck.

You can only play the cards you are delt with, and improve on them, or go down. I just try to think positive, even though sometimes it does not turn out that way.

If there is an actual positive cure, it may only be through your own mind, and how you use it.

Praying, meditation, and sleep may give your mind a support structure. It gives you time to clear your head, empty your mind, recapitulate, and reflect. It can add a positive belief system (fairy tail or not), and possibly other undiscovered, unimaginable things.

Be like water making its way through cracks. Do not be assertive, but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it. If nothing within you stays rigid, outward things will disclose themselves.

Bruce Lee.

Chrome_Oxide_Green
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Aug 2014, 5:11 pm

noidentity0--
Wow. It sounds like you're having a really hard time. Practically every poster has said "no" or "not any time soon to the possibilty of a cure. You probably don't need to hear it again.
Sometimes, life sucks. Like, really, REALLY sucks. You can't fix everything, you can't change other people, you can't fix the past, you can't change your nature, you can't just make it all better. We could fill up entire books with lists of can'ts. But no situation is ever *completely* futile. There are always things that you can fix, if you look hard enough.

My suggestion:
Write it down. All of it. Make a list with as many specifics as you can ("everything" is not a specific). What is terrible? What has been destroyed? You may find that your list is surprisingly short. (Of course, some of the items can be pretty heavy, figuratively.)

Relationships can usually be rebuilt. If you've lost your job, you can always find a new one. If you can't work, there are services available to help you.
Find a counsellor. Find a support group. Just find someone to talk to.
Best of luck,
-Chrome

Obstinate
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2014, 11:46 pm

Sad thing is, even if there was a cure tomorrow, no strings attached or risk of becoming a vegetable, you're still at a severe disadvantage compared to people that have been socialized all their lives. You'd basically be at the level of an NT toddler probably :/