Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2014, 10:39 am

Do you think that scientists willl ever find a cure for aspergers disorder. Or are we stuck with this hell for the rest of our lives. Why havent they found a cure for us? And i dont wanna hear any bullsh*t that aspergers is not a disorder because it has completly destroyed every part of my life. I would rather be paralyzed up to my head than to live like this. And i only have a mild form, i can only imagine what people with more severe symtoms are going through.

Anyway is anybody out there confident that there will be a cure. Because otherwise we are just all waiting in vain arent we.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 10:44 am

There is no "cure" for Asperger's--but there are ways to cope with it. There are treatments. It's not as hopeless as you think. Many Aspies have adapted well, and have lived fulfilling lives. I recommend reading Temple Grandin's works (she's only recently been diagnosed as Aspie--but she was diagnosed as classically autistic when she was about 3). I'd also recommend reading Tony Attwood.

Just like there is no "cure" for the common cold.

PS: I would hook up with that guy!

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 10:56 am

I am not waiting for a cure, I don't see any fathomable way for them to come up with one that wouldn't severely alter the brain, and not so sure I'd want that as it could have dangers/negative consequences of its own. It is a disorder and causes me difficulties but I don't see how they'd make a cure for it aside from like brain surgery to re-wire the brain, if they figure out an exact definable difference between an autistic and normal brain...I'd rather keep my aspergers disorder than risk becoming a vegetable.

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Aug 2014, 11:06 am

i sympathize with the OP - i couldn't wish this on my worst enemy. but like sweetleaf says, unless/until they are able to surgically rewire the neural circuits (ala the old Star Trek episode "Spock's Brain") there's not much chance of becoming NT.

Suncatcher
Toucan
Toucan

20 Aug 2014, 11:12 am

Animals are constantly evolving. Humans are no exception. I dread for the day where every abnormality from todays Standard will be eliminated to come, but it is bound to happen..

Do i want to cure my 'mental cancer' depressions caused by my social abnormalities and loneliness? Yes. I know a small kid with pddnos and i try to give him as much as possible on his birthday because i am just pretty Damn Sure he will get to experience hell once he gets past the age of 10 and i want him to understand that home is safe and he can live there in his own world, just like How i managed to struggle myself through that difficult period.

On the other hand, if i was already cured i would be a completely different person with different story to tell. There is a good chance i never would be so generous and loving to the people who have no income. I dont want to change what defines me as who i am, even When i will experience a lifetime of depressions and setbacks in friendships and relationships

Last edited by Suncatcher on 20 Aug 2014, 11:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2014, 11:12 am

Thanks for the reply.. but whats a fullfilling life if we dont even know how to communicate... are you diagnosed with aspergers? Would you say you're living a good life and what did you do to get there? Do you have any tips what i can do.

Also have you heard of suramin. They tested it on mice and they said it took away all the autism symptoms.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 11:19 am

Many Autistics can communicate well with other Autistics. Have you checked out different support groups. Plus, there are people working together to build Autistic community. It is beyond exciting and I have met the most amazing people I ever have [all Autistic] since being involved with other Autistics building a future.

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2014, 11:37 am

vickygleitz wrote:
Many Autistics can communicate well with other Autistics.

I never felt like i could communicate with anybody. With other autistics its even worse. Maybe its just the few people ive known but they all talk like computers and they want to correct u with every little detail that you're saying. Maybe theyre just insecure with themselves, im not sure.

tetris
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 11:40 am

It is very very very unlikely there will be a cure. It would be pretty much impossible to find one and there are tons of other things that need a cure more than autism, and most of those there is actually a reasonable chance. I personally don't want a cure, I'm happy the way I am, I personally don't see the need for one.

Dantac
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 11:41 am

If you were in my city I'd ask you out already. Misery is best when shared :)

noidentity0
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Aug 2014, 11:43 am

Hi_Im_B0B wrote:
i sympathize with the OP - i couldn't wish this on my worst enemy. but like sweetleaf says, unless/until they are able to surgically rewire the neural circuits (ala the old Star Trek episode "Spock's Brain") there's not much chance of becoming NT.

Thats crazy. So how do you guys cope? What makes your lives still worth living? Because i usually feel like i have no choice but to just sit and wait for it? I mean the cure.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 11:44 am

What exactly do you mean? I have trouble communicating with people and initiating interaction...but I have still manage to have some positive interactions in life, still gets to me that I feel usually there is something I am not getting that everyone else gets...I mean even around close family or friends I get that sort of feeling....Or feeling left out even though I am not being discluded just not on the same level as people around me.

Also maybe those particular individuals are insecure, or maybe they are just arrogant....my moms boyfriend likes to correct people on every little thing and he doesn't have autism so pretty sure that is not an autism thing, though autistic people can do it.

r2d2
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 11:48 am

I was in my late twenties to my mid-thirties before I got eye contact down and certain other basic social skills like learning the cadence of an interactive conversation. Only recently have I started to get some of the anxiety issues under control. Finding a more suitable living arrangement and place of employment as well as a proper psychiatrist who knows how to properly manage medication and give some guidance on releasing stress can help a lot with that. It took me longer than some to deal with these kind of issues because in those days hardly anyone heard of Asperger's and as far as anyone including myself was concerned - I was just weird. These days one can be counseled and coached into better communication and social skills. It might be worth looking into.

Being on the mild end of the spectrum and with a preliminary diagnoses of Autistic Spectrum Disorder - waiting for more extensive evaluation - I would say I have lived a fairly meaningful life and have done a lot of things. Sure I am pretty much a loner and I will never be the life of the party and will always come off as a bit odd. But so what? I guess the realization that I have a neurological condition that makes me the way I am has allowed me to move from being a failure at being normal to being a very successful aspie. :D

- Albert Einstein

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 11:48 am

make peace with self otherwise will be living in misery until die, there will be no 'cure' in our life time,not even prenatal markers will be found for abortion as autism is so complex and likely caused by different things.

am severely classic autistic,LF and do not want a cure as am completely at peace with self and own autism and have a lot of support [two to one staffing at all times,seeing the social services intelectual disability team at least once a week, activities and things to do] so dont suffer apart from when am depressed.
woud hate to change,will fight change to the death.

>>>help to keep bullying off our community,report it!

Last edited by KingdomOfRats on 20 Aug 2014, 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 11:49 am

noidentity0 wrote:
Hi_Im_B0B wrote:

Thats crazy. So how do you guys cope? What makes your lives still worth living? Because i usually feel like i have no choice but to just sit and wait for it? I mean the cure.

Honestly I am not so sure I can say I feel my life is worth living....but its not simply because I have autism, also ptsd, depression and anxiety. Also though I think even though on its own autism causes me difficulties its more how people have treated me for being 'different' due to the autism that has done a lot of damage rather than the autism in itself.

Not sure I cope too well...but still here I guess.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2014, 12:08 pm

noidentity0 wrote:
vickygleitz wrote:
Many Autistics can communicate well with other Autistics.

I never felt like i could communicate with anybody. With other autistics its even worse. Maybe its just the few people ive known but they all talk like computers and they want to correct u with every little detail that you're saying. Maybe theyre just insecure with themselves, im not sure.

I have no problems with the computer type Autistics, but I do not feel that much of a bonding with them near as much as I do with other spazzy autistics, especially the ones who still have a good part of enthusiastic little child inside like myself[ and I am 60 years old]

I so hope you can find some of the others you can relate with[ they do exist] because that would help you feel better.