Young Aspie kills himself, nobody found him for days?!

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2014, 4:13 am

http://www.autismdailynewscast.com/youn ... /snapshot/

Sorry if this has already been posted elsewhere. I did a search on his name but nothing came up.

There's a link in the article to the original article.

Had any UKers here heard about this?

This is so awful.

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

SteelMaiden
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 8:35 am

When I was in supported housing the carers would bang on my door if I didn't answer. I went missing a few times during my stay, and each time the police were called.

Even though the carers weren't very caring, I would say that if I had taken an overdose in my room, the other residents would notice quickly and the carers always call me on my mobile if I don't answer the door.

That is appalling what happened to him.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 8:36 am

I hadn't heard about that, and it's very sad. Although I guess nobody could be with him 24/7, still it seems terribly bad that he was in housing specifically meant to have some care given yet nobody found him for days.

I am also appalled to read of his being bullied on Facebook. While I realise there are some great uses for social media like Facebook, sometimes I also think it's a cesspit of some people's worst cruelty when used this way.

SpirosD
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Oct 2014, 10:36 am

Very sad story. Sadly I read something a few month ago, but I'm not sure if it's true or not, but the percentage of Aspies committing suicide or attempting to or even thinking about it is much higher than the NT population :(

o0iella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Oct 2014, 12:12 pm

It's something ridiculous like 28 times the rate of NT population.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 2:11 pm

Is it really that hard to understand why?? Should someone be denied the right to put an end to their suffering because of autism?? I'd really like to live in a world where we wouldn't WANT to die at a rate 28 times that of the average, but I don't expect that to happen any time soon...

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 2:32 pm

I think the OP is asking about why this guy wasn't found for a week if he lived in supported housing.

I suppose it depended on his assessment and care plan, but I woudl have assumed that you'd be checked in on a bit more than once a week - esp if you have a history of suicide attempts and ideation. But I do find it sad and awful, but not completely unsurprising.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 2:40 pm

You'd think with it being supported housing someone would have noticed something before that....it is sad, I could have ended up the same way in a school bathroom when I was 15 if I hadn't admitted I tried to overdose to a couple friends. So also sad since I know how it feels to feel so bad you see ending it as the only option.

Aspiewordsmith
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2014, 6:13 pm

Definitely more than just a hint of aspiphobia, and the unnecessary demands can cause suicidal feelings in AS people

little_blue_jay
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Oct 2014, 8:30 pm

elkclan wrote:
I think the OP is asking about why this guy wasn't found for a week if he lived in supported housing.

Mainly that, yes... also wondered if any UKers had heard about this.

How did no-one notice a lack of meals being served to him, even in his room, assuming it was the type of housing where they are fed, not where they make up their own meals... nobody noticed that this man hadn't come out to eat? Especially as he was diabetic as well, nobody thought to check on him to see if he's administering his insulin on schedule/when he eats, etc..

AQ score: 47
RAADS-R score: 196

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 2:55 am

I think the sad reality is that nobody cared whether he lived or died which is why they didn't bother much to look for him! It is an apathetic nuerotypical reality!

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

elkclan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2014, 5:01 am

@LBJ

We don't know what his care plan was - so he may not have had daily checks or medication prompts. But I simply would have assumed that in supported housing he'd have been checked on more than once a week. But as an adult, presumably he could refuse intrusive services?

I am doing some work in the social care area and I didn't hear about this. Looks like it may have only been reported locally. Kinda not surprising as it's conference season and there is plenty in the news already...if that makes sense.