Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Chrome_Oxide_Green
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Sep 2014, 1:41 pm

I compulsively copy sounds I hear (not words) without intending to.
Something falls off a shelf, and hits the floor, and I compulsively copy the sound. Sometimes I have to say it a few times until it's right.
When I was a child, we had cats. Consequently, I became an expert at replicating cat-sounds. I can hiss, and meow, and purr in the voices of several different cats.
Sometimes it's a bit embarrassing, like when I realize that I've just copied the sounds of someone's asthma attack. No, I wasn't mocking you. Sorry.
I don't copy them every time (except for a few, like cat-sounds).
Anyone else get this?

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 2:10 pm

I do that a little bit, but probably not as much as what you describe. When I was a child I did this mostly with jingles on commercials, mimicking, singing along, etc. More recently I kind of compulsively mimicked a TV station interstitial sound every time it came on. I don't really do it for every sound I hear, just a few that appeal to me, or maybe that's pretty ordinary, I don't know.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 2:39 pm

Sometimes I do. But I love hearing different sounds.

EsotericResearch
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2014, 8:36 pm

Yeah I do this and so do my parents. My dad echos the radio when he's driving, especially when he's driving for many hours at a time. I think it's probably normal to repeat stuff you hear on TV, like sometimes my boyfriend repeats the boots-n-pants song that the Geico gecko sings.

However, I make animal and other nonhuman sounds while most people do not. There are many pigeons around here and I make the coo sound when I am relaxed.

http://sites.google.com/site/esotericresearch Esoteric Research Press

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 1:38 pm

Chrome_Oxide_Green wrote:
I compulsively copy sounds I hear (not words) without intending to.

^^^ Uh, yes - all the time....

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2014, 1:05 am

I do it far more with words and phrases than with sounds; sometimes a phrase will just catch my interest and I'll repeat it to myself over and over again. Tonight I've been repeating a line from a film I just saw for several hours; "Jeffy highly functioning developmentally disabled." It means nothing to me, I just like the way the words sound when run together. When I'm around other people and they bring up topics of conversation that remind me of lines from things I've seen or read, I'm compelled to repeat them, even though I know this probably comes across as very strange. If I'm by myself and bored, I can recite entire monologues and movie scenes to myself, as a means of preoccupation. For a highly verbal person, I use a lot of other peoples' words.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!