A fair world for people with disabilities!

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 4:03 pm

As an Aspergers person I am very against neurotypical society and its rules.

I want to get a large group of aspies together to rebel against society and it's rules ending the stigma against autistic people and pressuring us to conform. So many leaders in history have campaigned for justice look at Martin Luther king, William Wallace and Winston Churchill. To think a leader for autistic people and disabilities alike could go down in the history books. imagine creating a world that is accommodating and fair for aspies and others with disabilities alike. Just given that once chance in your life wouldn't you like to create a better world for future generations of people with disabilities?

Do you guys support me on my passion to make a positive change in the world?

FireyInspiration
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 7:15 pm

I support you, but remind you of the time investment, money that may be needed, and pressure of being in the public eye

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 7:20 pm

Ok.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 8:09 pm

What do you mean public eye?

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 8:17 pm

[quote="Jamesy"]What do you mean public eye?[/quote]

If you succeed, many people will watch you to see how you act. It means having the attention of the public focused at you.
Martin Luther King Jr. had the FBI actively trying to create scandals for him. It can be rather dangerous water to be in the public eye.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 Aug 2014, 9:27 pm

Protogenoi wrote:
Jamesy wrote:
What do you mean public eye?

If you succeed, many people will watch you to see how you act. It means having the attention of the public focused at you.
Martin Luther King Jr. had the FBI actively trying to create scandals for him. It can be rather dangerous water to be in the public eye.

It's interesting that many who admire MLK would deny the FBI, or any government entity for that matter, would do such a thing. Such a suggestion would suggest insanity, and doesn't seem to prompt at least a brief exploration of things that either support or disprove this claim.

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 9:28 pm

[quote="Jamesy"]What do you mean public eye?[/quote]

Jayo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 9:31 pm

I believe it's a noble undertaking, and one I've often thought of myself at various points in my life, especially when I was first diagnosed with AS in 2001.

Many times, we are unjustly persecuted or ridiculed and what have you, for no reason other than our inherent differences.

So I thought of being a civil rights leader for the AS cause, especially with that demographic being so quickly growing and people being more educated to help "close the gap", but sadly I realize there's still plenty of ignorance out there. Weighing the pros and cons, I do agree there are some pros and incentives (non-financial) of taking up such a cause, but the cons seem to outweigh the pros: the public exposure, the threat of assassination, the ridicule I'd have to endure online in news forums slamming me (almost as bad as a head of state, no doubt!) and the great diminishing of job prospects owing to my high profile which many employers may look upon as a liability to them hiring me. 8O

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 1:22 am

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -- Ghandi

Let me know when the first rally is taking place :)

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 7:26 am

Can you give examples of the changes you want to make?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 10:38 am

I'd also want to be in the rallies. :)

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 11:17 am

Im game tbh

scorpileo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 11:18 am

Im game tbh

Charloz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Sep 2014, 12:03 pm

Jamesy wrote:
As an Aspergers person I am very against neurotypical society and its rules.

I want to get a large group of aspies together to rebel against society and it's rules ending the stigma against autistic people and pressuring us to conform. So many leaders in history have campaigned for justice look at Martin Luther king, William Wallace and Winston Churchill. To think a leader for autistic people and disabilities alike could go down in the history books. imagine creating a world that is accommodating and fair for aspies and others with disabilities alike. Just given that once chance in your life wouldn't you like to create a better world for future generations of people with disabilities?

Do you guys support me on my passion to make a positive change in the world?

Meh.

It may sound weird to you but I prefer conforming to rebelling. I rebel sometimes, sure. I am my own person and I'm fine with that. But in some ways I have adapted and changed my behavior, and I don't think that's a bad thing to be honest. I'm not any less "me" because of it, I just realized some aspects of who I used to be were annoying, weird or creepy and so I rid myself of those aspects.

You won't go down into the history books. You will be just one of the many people who made a stand for something, got no followers and faded into obscurity. The only way you could pull this off is if you are hugely charismatic and persuasive, and manage to use the social media in a very way. You have to be smart, an original thinker, and gain followers, NT and autistic alike, wherever you go. You need to gather momentum. Dedicate yourself to your cause. Only then you have a chance.

Blog, YouTube, Write and Rally your ass off and you may just succeed. :wink:

Protogenoi
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 2:06 pm

Charloz wrote:
You won't go down into the history books. You will be just one of the many people who made a stand for something, got no followers and faded into obscurity. The only way you could pull this off is if you are hugely charismatic and persuasive, and manage to use the social media in a very way. You have to be smart, an original thinker, and gain followers, NT and autistic alike, wherever you go. You need to gather momentum. Dedicate yourself to your cause. Only then you have a chance.

Blog, YouTube, Write and Rally your ass off and you may just succeed. :wink:

Charloz is right, you'll need to appeal and gather followers that are NT and autistic. However, you don't necessarily need to be an original thinker, you could outscource that. You only need to appear to be an original thinker. Example: Marx is more famous than Engels even though Engels came up with the majority of communist theory and was a better writer. Marx was just more persuasive and more charismatic in his writings (also less consistent.)
If you lead, I will follow.

vickygleitz
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2014, 10:32 pm

Stop with the "can'ts "and start working on the "how we can," That is what I'm doing. WE have to make the changes. No one else can or should.