Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 5:38 am

Do people annoy you when they sneeze? I don't mean just one or two, but when someone does more than 4 in a row. I know they can't help it and everything but it still annoys me for some reason. I do sneeze but I only do one or two, maybe three at the very most. And mine aren't like really loud, like some people (actually, some people do like to amplify their sneezes, not saying all but some people do make an unnecessary din when sneezing).

I do have misophonia as well, so that might be to do with it. I think I also get a bit jealous too, because I find it really hard to sneeze when out in public, even when I really want to. It might be a social anxiety thing. But other people can sneeze away wherever they are. Wish I could do that.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 6:09 am

I and my family members have allergies. Sneezing can't be helped. It's really not enjoyable, and I don't know anyone who wants to sneeze more than necessary.

Usually, I know what will set off a sneezing fit and can avoid it especially in public. But, sometimes, something will trigger an allergy attack and we don't know what it is. This is especially true for my husband. Just the other night, he sneezed about 20 times in a row. Poor guy! At that point (actually, probably after 10 sneezes), I start getting concerned if he can get enough breath in between all the sneezes!

Try to feel bad for the sneezers.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 7:11 am

LOL.....there's a reason for the "bless you": In the act of sneezing, your airwaves are totally constricted--in a word, you can't breathe during a sneeze. At that point, it was conceived that one should ask God to "bless you," so the ability to breathe is restored.

Sedentarian
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 12:16 pm

Back when I was in elementary school I used to be terrified of loud sneezes :oops:. It took considerable desensitization.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 12:27 pm

People don't sneeze for fun. They sneeze because something triggers the sneeze reflects, and as long as the reflex keeps being triggered, they will keep sneezing. I have mild sneezing type allergies--fortunately. Several times a week I will sneeze a few times. I then blow my nose to clear what was loosened by the sneezing, but also to remove whatever was causing the sneezing. I don't enjoy it, and nobody "enhances" their sneezes. It is not fun, but it can be messy, which I hate. I also have a climate allergy which makes my nose constantly run. YUCK! Even the slightest change in temp or humidity causes my nasal faucet to flow. I can go from standing/sitting to the reverse, or go from one room to another, and the slight difference in temp/humidity from one room to another, or from what it is at the upper/standing level, as opposed to the lower/sitting level of the room, makes my nose run. This is a CONSTANT problem, and drives me nuts. Eating foods that are hot, or cold, or spicy hot, also causes the nasal faucet to run. If I could afford it, I would buy stock in tissue companies. If I had all the money I spent on tissues over the years, I would be well off. Strangely enough, in spite of all this, I never seem to have sinus infections. I only recall ever getting one, and that was caused by a demented mosquito that visited me while I slept. It tried to extract blood several times from right over a bony sinus area, and apparently kept missing blood vessels. The over dose of itchy anti coagulant it injected to get it's drink of blood got into my sinus there, and caused problems for days, and not just itchiness. It also made me feel woosy. I found that the menthol in Solarcaine helped some, though.

Yes, I do think your hearing sensitivity is why it bothers you so much. I have hearing sensitivity too, so I do understand, but fortunately, mine isn't as bad as many others on the spectrum. I have had to turn down job assignments due to work place noise. Sometimes it isn't always possible to avoid an unpleasant noise. At home I run a fan or radio white noise when sleeping, to muffle the sounds from outside, but it doesn't help when the next door neighbor comes or goes on his motor cycle.

Remember, people don't sneeze for fun, or to bother you, so stop taking it personally.

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2014, 12:31 pm

doesn't bother me, but i came from a family of chain-sneezers. my mom would sneeze 7 times, her sister would sneeze 9 times. i don't always chain, but when i do it's only 3 times.

jk1
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 1:02 pm

Rather than the noise of sneezing itself, I dislike some awkward moments that sometimes follow the sneeze. Do I have to say anything? I usually keep quiet. I thought the "bless you" was said just for the sake of easing the awkwardness following the sneeze.

I also find the "weird" sneeze rather uncomfortable. I'm talking about a sneeze that sounds muffled or suppressed as if the nose were blocked or something. It sounds very uncomfortable/frustrating. If you sneeze, you might as well do it fully and feel satisfied.

And the really loud ones that give a sharp impact on the eardrums cause physical and mental distress, too, although they sound very satisfying.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 2:22 pm

No, people do not annoy me when they sneeze, but people are always annoyed whenever I sneeze.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 3:22 pm

Oh, I knew I had written the wrong thing here. :oops: :roll:

I never said I think people sneeze to annoy me. But I do know some people who do amplify their sneezes. My cousin used to do that, because often when I slept round her's and I was awake and she was awake (but she thought I was asleep) I sometimes heard her sneeze and they sound normal, but when she was around people she would make a shouting noise as she sneezed, making everyone in the room jump. There is no need for that. I am a very jumpy person.

Yes I have a sinus condition, which means I do sneeze a lot, so I am not being hypocritical. I dislike sneezing myself. But all sudden noises upset me; dogs, alarms, etc.

I hear a lot of people say they can't stand the sound of people chewing or snoring. Don't take it personally - people don't chew loud on purpose, and people don't know what they're doing in their sleep and so can't help the snoring.

Hi_Im_B0B
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Aug 2014, 9:32 pm

jk1 wrote:
Rather than the noise of sneezing itself, I dislike some awkward moments that sometimes follow the sneeze. Do I have to say anything? I usually keep quiet. I thought the "bless you" was said just for the sake of easing the awkwardness following the sneeze.
actually, "bless you" came about through the (mostly passe) religious belief that a sneeze gave the devil an opportunity to enter and take over the person; blessing would negate that. but i think you are pretty much correct, and though not required, it is considered polite to make a small comment at such time. another common one is "gesundheit", german for "health".

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 9:39 pm

Lots of sneezing and coughing sounds annoys me.

Lumi
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 10:08 pm

EzraS wrote:
Lots of sneezing and coughing sounds annoys me.

Self also

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2014, 11:07 pm

everybody does it, it's hardly voluntary and it's healthy for the body so i try not to let it get to me.
it is rather annoying when people amplify their sneezes, when they seem to make it louder than it should by screaming in some way. my sister voices 'achoo' every time she sneezes, i don't know if she can help it or not but it bugs.

i had a tonsillectomy back in '06 so i don't know how that has affected my sneezing or not.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

Redstar2613
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2014, 4:33 am

Try living with hayfever. I can spend all day sneezing and the majority of the time, there is nothing I can do about it. The only thing that ever stopped it for me was actifed, but there was only one tablet that ever worked and they took it off the market because some douchebags used it to make an illegal drug. It annoys me when other people claim to be annoyed by it. Your not the one who has to be constantly interrupted all day long. You don't have to put up with it for your whole f*****g life. You can leave. I can't.
If I want to do something that requires both my hands, it becomes a pain in the ass, or impossible. When its really bad, I can go several minutes where Im just sneezing with very little to no breaks and as soon as I have finished wiping my nose or whatever and try to go back to doing whatever I'm trying to do... I sneeze again. The big sneezes can actually hurt after a while, too. Not to mention making it difficult to breathe properly when I have a second or two inbetween sneezes that take 5 - 10 seconds to actually happen and Im sitting there forced to keep breathing in when I dont even need to
It literally interrupts my life and it can happen at any time, especially when its really hot or really cold. Then there's the exhaustion of sneezing all day. Its EXTREMELY tiring. I can be at a party where I should be having a wonderful time but hayfever ruins it completely. Interrupts physical things I want to do, talking, makes me feel and look like crap. My nose gets all red for that day and the following, and sometimes skin starts to peel off, kind of like a sunburn.
So you dont like the sound... excuse me while I dont give a damn

LtlPinkCoupe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 11:17 am

I actually don't mind sneezes, but I get embarrassed when I have to sneeze in public. I don't why; everyone else sneezes in public without feeling self-conscious. :oops:

"IT'S NOT FAIR!" "Life isn't fair, Calvin." "I know, but why isn't it ever unfair in MY favor?" ~ from Calvin and Hobbes