Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 6:19 pm

...Oh...

loner1984
Veteran
Veteran

27 Aug 2014, 8:30 pm

It makes me wonder. I have noticed again recently. one day i was out biking, and the bridge were open so ships could pass by.

There was this kid or child even in a wagon with his mom, not very old. Crying like crazy. Then i pulled up a few meters past on my bicycle. and i swear it never fails. i look at him and he stops crying. Im not sure wtf it is, but its quite creepy scary even, when i stop looking and move on when the bridge closed again, then he starts crying like a crazy again.

I feel children see my inner child or that something is off about me, i dont know. Its sure isnt my charming personality thats for sure.

For the longest time ive always just thought of it as random, but it does seem very odd that it keeps happening. I wish i could ask the kid like that, what it is that they find so amazing, its like they will out of their way to stare back at me

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Aug 2014, 11:28 pm

I got told I acted like I was autistic a few times, but I usually get ADHD. Most people think I'm really hyper, but when I told my friends, they weren't surprised at all. That actually surprised me because I thought I was hiding it so well. I think I can manage it pretty well around people whose types I know well. I wish I could ask a stranger or someone I barely know if I am obvious or not, but I'm too scared to.

Evil_Chuck
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Aug 2014, 11:35 pm

I think people tend to notice that I'm awkward, subdued and out of place. I speak monotonously and often need time to think about what I'm going to say in a conversation, so I stick out because of that. But that's about it--people just notice I'm different. They don't verbally speculate on why. (Thank goodness; if they did, I would die of embarrassment.)

I mean, do NTs really think much about that stuff to begin with? I can't imagine that most people would look at someone different and conclude "oh yeah, he's autistic." Many of them don't even understand what autism is. To them it's just another word psychologists and news reporters throw around, usually associated with young children who are struggling in school.

FUNNY DEATH METAL LYRICS OF THE WEEK: 'DEMON'S WIND' BY VADER
Clammy frog descends
Demon's wind, the stars answer your desire
Join the undead, that's the place you'll never leave
You wanna die... but death cannot do us apart...

Deb1970
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 11:56 am

No, I'm very high functioning. Most people do not believe me when I tell them. When I was in my 20's most people thought I was odd or strange because I had melt downs in public.

- Edgar Allan Poe -

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2014, 10:53 pm

I recently met some girls in my dorm floor. I tried my hardest to fit in with them, but they were the exact opposite of me and when I said I had to go and left, one of them said, "I don't think she liked us very much. She was weird," and I thought I was doing so well xD

r84shi37
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2014, 10:58 pm

quick disclaimer:

I'm not diagnosed with AS. I don't know if I have AS. I have suspicions that I have AS.

I come across as strange, odd, and creepy at times. I know that I come across as intelligent because I've been told that I am- I know I'm not though. The reason I come across as intelligent is because of my mannerisms, and memory. I remember almost everything I learn, so I can bring up all sorts of interesting facts into everyday conversation.

One time I was walking down a hallway full of people whom I was acquainted with. Then I bumped into someone. It startled me a lot, I had wide eyes and I jumped back. This person said, "Sorry [my name]." in a very understanding tone. So when this happened I realized that it's not exactly a secret that I'm sensitive to touch and noise.

I tend not to say a lot when I'm around people I respect. When I'm with people my age, I'll say weird / creepy things just to screw with them e.g "So the answer is 918 which, coincidentally is the same number of people who died during the Jonestown Massacre." or "Oh! I remember a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that can serve as an allegory to [situation]". For the most part, I don't really try to blend in with others.

So, I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. People don't see me as normal, but they also don't see me as one with AS.

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2014, 11:26 pm

r84shi37 wrote:
quick disclaimer:

I'm not diagnosed with AS. I don't know if I have AS. I have suspicions that I have AS.

I come across as strange, odd, and creepy at times. I know that I come across as intelligent because I've been told that I am- I know I'm not though. The reason I come across as intelligent is because of my mannerisms, and memory. I remember almost everything I learn, so I can bring up all sorts of interesting facts into everyday conversation.

One time I was walking down a hallway full of people whom I was acquainted with. Then I bumped into someone. It startled me a lot, I had wide eyes and I jumped back. This person said, "Sorry [my name]." in a very understanding tone. So when this happened I realized that it's not exactly a secret that I'm sensitive to touch and noise.

I tend not to say a lot when I'm around people I respect. When I'm with people my age, I'll say weird / creepy things just to screw with them e.g "So the answer is 918 which, coincidentally is the same number of people who died during the Jonestown Massacre." or "Oh! I remember a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that can serve as an allegory to [situation]". For the most part, I don't really try to blend in with others.

So, I'd say I'm somewhere in the middle. People don't see me as normal, but they also don't see me as one with AS.

No, no...I think you've got your life confused with mine. This is exactly my life. Exactly.
Also, 918 is the the area code for my house. Coincidence? I THINK NOT!!

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Aug 2014, 11:30 pm

Also, do many other people do this thing:

Quote:
I'll say weird / creepy things just to screw with them e.g "So the answer is 918 which, coincidentally is the same number of people who died during the Jonestown Massacre." or "Oh! I remember a Calvin and Hobbes comic strip that can serve as an allegory to [situation]".

I often do, but not always for creepy things. I just spew facts that you wouldn't think correlate, but actually do.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 1:11 am

Somewhat.

I had a worker at a mower shop tell my mother that he has a son like "me", which meant autism.

I thought I was doing pretty good, asking for stuff.

Most people probably just notice the lack of eye contact and speech though (ones without experience with autism). The latter is pointed out now and again (I consider these people rude).

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 2:48 pm

I used to think I passed well. That was before I was told a cousin who rarely sees me spotted me 10 years ago, finding out my elenementry school threw me out after 2nd grade, bieng diagnosed as moderatly severe.

Conclusion: I don't have a clue which makes sense since that as a key trait.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2014, 2:49 pm

It depends what outfit I'm wearing.

WerewolfPoet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 1:51 pm

I've been told that there are more people who assume that I'm "on something" than there are people who assume that I "have something."

I apparently give off a "stoner" vibe due to having a mildly unkempt appearance and a "distant" look about me, though I learned recent that my dress style and mannerisms are also not dissimilar from those of individuals who use heroin 8O (note: I am completely, utterly sober in all regards; this is not to say that I have anything against those who use whatever substances).

That being said, I have had a few individuals not be surprised when I mentioned that I am suspected to be on the autistic spectrum (one even had a "I knew it!!" reaction); most, however, seem a bit skeptical--aside from being on drugs, I only come across as being "very quiet" and "to myself."

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 Sep 2014, 2:10 pm

WerewolfPoet wrote:
I've been told that there are more people who assume that I'm "on something" than there are people who assume that I "have something."

I apparently give off a "stoner" vibe due to having a mildly unkempt appearance and a "distant" look about me, though I learned recent that my dress style and mannerisms are also not dissimilar from those of individuals who use heroin 8O (note: I am completely, utterly sober in all regards; this is not to say that I have anything against those who use whatever substances).

That being said, I have had a few individuals not be surprised when I mentioned that I am suspected to be on the autistic spectrum (one even had a "I knew it!!" reaction); most, however, seem a bit skeptical--aside from being on drugs, I only come across as being "very quiet" and "to myself."

I've been told this many times too, but instead of a stoner I get cocaine. I'm very hyper, get off topic easily, and talk a lot. I've had a few people ask me if I were drunk or high many times before and when I tell people I'm autistic, they're not surprised either. I wonder if many of us give off druggie vibes...

Spectacles
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

02 Sep 2014, 11:33 pm

russiank12 wrote:
WerewolfPoet wrote:

I've been told this many times too, but instead of a stoner I get cocaine. I'm very hyper, get off topic easily, and talk a lot. I've had a few people ask me if I were drunk or high many times before and when I tell people I'm autistic, they're not surprised either. I wonder if many of us give off druggie vibes...

Yep, same here. Someone once joked that I was a huge stoner at a camp (which, there was a period in my life when that may or may not have been the case, but this particular incident was before that time in my life). Someone that I had met only a few days beforehand asked (in all honesty) "Oh, so is that why you are the way you are?". This was before I knew anything about ASD and was at the time convinced that I was a dumbass due to my social deficiencies. Not a pleasant place to be :P

russiank12
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Sep 2014, 12:24 am

Maybe that's how autism is caused. It's not vaccines guys!! !! It's the goVErnmeNT mannnnn, testing out beta drugs on unsuspecting people. There's no such thing as 'autism'! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !