Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2014, 12:02 am

Any of you on the spectrum have this? I notice a lot of times, that I think about things like crazy, and I think at times, that it may be to my detriment.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 3:39 am

I'm always in my own world thinking about things instead of interacting with the real world.

you might find these studies interesting:
Link--autistic brains create more information at rest.
Link-autistic brains less flexible.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 4:51 am

My brain never shuts off.

Sometimes, I will wake up in the morning and have a solution to something I was thinking about the night before because my brain thought about it while the rest of me was asleep.

Sometimes, I am in my own world thinking. Sometimes, I am thinking while outwardly doing other things.

I don't think it is necessarily bad. If I get stuck in a "rut", it is.

dt18
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2014, 7:45 am

Ha, glad I'm not the only one. Really drives me up the wall sometimes though.

eggheadjr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 8:26 am

Yah - that's normal for us to obssess about things. I think it's due to wanting to understand something that happened and using too much brainpower to try and sort it out when in reality the best thing to do would be to let it slide.

BearMode
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Aug 2014, 8:28 am

Yeah, it does happen from time to time. Suddenly there are like floodgates being opened and new ideas, thoughts, memories just come pouring in.
It's pretty distracting if you're in middle of something..

antarticanrepublic
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2014, 8:29 am

It's also called ADHD. I have it.
When I'm lost in thought I often have to be shaken out of it.
People tell me that my facial expressions change according to the conversations in my head & sometimes I talk to myself silently (lol).
Also a topic that I think about lasts for only about 7 seconds or so on an average. I literally run on ADHD pills.

Both neurodiverse and neurotypical traits
EIQ:105
HSP:13
EQ: 31/80

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 10:41 am

dt18 wrote:
Any of you on the spectrum have this? I notice a lot of times, that I think about things like crazy, and I think at times, that it may be to my detriment.

Without a doubt, thinking is an obsession for me.

I am not 100% certain about this, but I believe I may also stim more when I get deep in thought. Which makes the entire experience all that more enjoyable.

Marybird wrote:

Thanks for sharing.

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2014, 2:27 pm

When the psychiatrist first put me on Risperdone he claimed it was to slow the racing and obsessional thoughts to allow me to better sleep. It helped at the time because those obsessional thoughts were of suicide and self-harm, but I'm not a fan of the drug now. But yeah, I'm always absorbed in my own thoughts.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Aug 2014, 11:08 pm

BearMode wrote:
Yeah, it does happen from time to time. Suddenly there are like floodgates being opened and new ideas, thoughts, memories just come pouring in.
It's pretty distracting if you're in middle of something..

I am not diagnosed with ASD but the rushing thoughts are becoming more problematic for me. Sometimes it's traumatic memories, or hurtful things said to me by people who are no longer in my life, and a lot of times, the thoughts concern things I HAVE to finish, or get done, within a short period of time. They seem like "racing thoughts" during a manic episode but these thoughts randomly and intensely come to mind regardless of my mood. I wish I could compartmentalize these thoughts to where I'm not visibly affected by them, or asked by others about what I'm thinking at the moment.

It comes off to others that I'm not even in my body. My face is basically 8O with no expression or engagement when the "ideas, thoughts, memories" run at a pace that's hard for me to control. I wish I could take a break from that.

TerryD
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Aug 2014, 11:20 pm

I have heard that mindfulness meditation is supposed to help you deal with this. Well, I have practiced it off and on for several years, and so far it has not worked.

MatchingBlues
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Aug 2014, 1:40 am

TerryD wrote:
I have heard that mindfulness meditation is supposed to help you deal with this. Well, I have practiced it off and on for several years, and so far it has not worked.

Does anyone know anything about hypnotherapy?

Mindfulness meditation only helped me overcome my driving anxiety.

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 12:52 pm

My mind is always racing unless I am absorbed in some activity. That's probably why so many of us like video games. My racing mind isn't really a problem except when I am trying to sleep. I work a pretty menial, third shift job so it doesn't really affect that. And I have no social life for it to affect.