Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

Ive noticed this for a while...

I can now take telephone calls that's for me with confidence, but speaking, if at all, sometimes just don't happen for me.

It's easier if a person wants to know Infomation but general stuff don't seem to compute with me and its hard to listen.

The longer a call goes, the harder to maintain the call gets. Eventually ever word becomes an exhausting mental effort and it gets harder to hear the caller and I can mishear Infomation.

Its difficult if it gets also physically exhausting, when I do I find myself taking in more air and actually feel physically weak for long calls.

But, it is easy when the topics in question are of a special interest and can easily go in vast detail doing so.

If the call is for or think its for someone else I can't answer it... I don't think I could function at a call centre for a job for long...

Just a bit of detail noticing and minor ramble from me though...

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2014, 4:13 pm

I feel exactly the same. I absolutely hate phone calls, which is odd considering that it would seem like an appropriate form of communication since eye contact is not involved but for some reason I cannot communicate with somebody if I am not in their presence. I often find myself drying up in conversation and having nothing to say. For some reason, the awkwardness of having nothing to say is aggrandized when being on the phone since they are obviously built specifically for the purpose of conversation and nothing else. For someone who lives in their own head, they are a nightmare. Also, the noise they make is absolutely horrible. The fact that anybody can ring you at anytime and wake you up even when you are sleeping I find oddly intrusive. I do know what you mean about it being physically exhaustive. There gets to a point when you actually haven't got the energy to maintain any concentration. I personally become very restless. It is easier personally if I am doodling in a notepad while on the phone. Then it become easier.

Arcnarenth
Raven
Raven

29 Aug 2014, 4:38 pm

fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
It is easier personally if I am doodling in a notepad while on the phone. Then it become easier.

This part resonates with me. When I'm on the phone I have to pace. It doesn't matter how mundane or important the call is, I have to be up walking around. It drives my family crazy and they say it makes them feel anxious because they think I'm anxious.

Aside from that, my only other major difficulty with phone calls is planning what to say beforehand. I can't just pick up the receiver and call someone without having it mostly scripted out what I'm going to say. Not surprisingly, my family also finds this trait annoying. And I'm terrible at relaying messages when someone leaves one for someone else.

fibonaccispiral777
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2014, 4:41 pm

Arcnarenth wrote:
fibonaccispiral777 wrote:
It is easier personally if I am doodling in a notepad while on the phone. Then it become easier.

This part resonates with me. When I'm on the phone I have to pace. It doesn't matter how mundane or important the call is, I have to be up walking around. It drives my family crazy and they say it makes them feel anxious because they think I'm anxious.

Aside from that, my only other major difficulty with phone calls is planning what to say beforehand. I can't just pick up the receiver and call someone without having it mostly scripted out what I'm going to say. Not surprisingly, my family also finds this trait annoying. And I'm terrible at relaying messages when someone leaves one for someone else.

I can definitely relate to that, it is far too difficult just sitting in place speaking to somebody. Other things need to be done to keep the mind stimulated.

Jabberwokky
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 Aug 2014, 7:56 am

I don't like phones generally. My absolute worst are those infernal corporate teleconferences where everyone gets to talk over each other. I have huge issues following those conversations and then all of a sudden someone pops a question at me and I start talking and find myself just rambling on incoherently such that I don't even understand myself.

I had a terrible phobia for phones for many years and couldn't use them at all. I have overcome that fear but I still don't like them much. I generally don't bother to listen to voicemail because its always someone wanting to extract a piece of me in some way. I still have an issue with not knowing when and how to end of phone call. I have sensed in more recent times that I put the phone down too early on people who are going through their rather elaborate ceremonial "hello and goodbye" protocols for which I have no time. I'm trying to curb that and so I hang on to the phone a lot longer than I am generally comfortable with. I have a suspicion too that I am a generally very 'clipped' in my telephone conversation. I just don't care for elaborate conversations and I also find where the longer explanations are needed that I just can't quite get the point across. I have the issue as well of not concentrating on what someone is saying to me over the phone. Its much the same problem with in-person conversations where I tend to pop off to my own world of thoughts in the midst of them talking to me.

PerfectlyDarkTails
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2014, 4:51 pm

Jabberwokky wrote:
I don't like phones generally. My absolute worst are those infernal corporate teleconferences where everyone gets to talk over each other. I have huge issues following those conversations and then all of a sudden someone pops a question at me and I start talking and find myself just rambling on incoherently such that I don't even understand myself..
Yeah, I don't think there's anyway to follow more than one persons voice at a time for me. I think it also feeds into general groups of people or meetings where everyone's talking, then being asked a question or expressing opinion and can't because I didn't quite catch what was said at all and appear disinterested.

AS 168/200, NT: 20/ 200, AQ=45 EQ=15, SQ=78, IQ=135

frodz
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Aug 2014, 5:45 pm

I have never liked speaking on the telephone. I find speaking/thinking what to say difficult and so generally avoided them. If the phone at home rang I usually wouldn't pick it up, no one phoning up would want to talk to me anyway. If my mobile went off and i didn't know who it was I wouldn't pick up either. If i had to pick up I kept the convo short and to the point.

In the last couple of years I have had a job in which answering the phone is part of the role. At first I was so nervous, especially as I was thrust into the situation with little teaching about the job and the kind of stuff i would have to say. Somehow I managed; it helps that i'm just relaying information we keep or telling people where to find information. When someone starts trying small-talk i mostly humour them for a second/ignore it and return to telling them what they need to know to get it over with.

FallingDownMan
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

31 Aug 2014, 9:02 am

Telephones are evil. Enough said. :lol:

Seriously though, I hate them. I can never figure out when it is my turn to speak. I lose track of what the other person is saying. I lose track of what's going on around me. Because I have problems finding words, my communication strategy is to get he other person to take control of the conversation, and I have problems doing that on a phone.

ikerio
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Aug 2014, 12:25 pm

You just don't know what you are going to get at the other side.
I wish they would prewarn you what it'll be about :?