Is it normal to feel empty and anxious as you apply...

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 10:12 pm

for SSDI?

I just got up from a nap. And I'm pleading with myself. Just go back to work. You screwed up on the Adult Function Report and you know they won't approve your claim. Just try to get back into your old life.

And it's tempting. Not working has filled me with emptiness and boredom. But I know that I am unlikely to be able to get back into working. But then I think they're not going to approve my SSDI, so I will have no money coming in.

I then think about the short-term/long-term disability with my company, hoping I can get some financial respite by getting it approved. My therapist has not let me down yet, but I don't know.

I also don't know how well I understand my own condition and if my therapist's info can line up with the Adult Function Report.

My mind is absolutely racing with all these different thoughts and I'm scared, really scared.

I know no one can make promises here, so I am left to nothing but worrying and anxiety and obsessing over this whole process, hour to hour, day to day, week to week, month to month, and maybe year to year. Where is my money going to come from if I can't return to work but also can't get on disability of any sort?

What if I show up at work, do fine, but then they're mad at me for having taken so much disability that they let me go.

What on earth can I do then?

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 10:29 pm

beneficii wrote:
for SSDI?

Sure is! I am in the process now and I got turned down first time. I appealed that decision and last week saw another state appointed doctor to examine me. I am in the hurry up and wait mode and it is most frustrating, etc.

beneficii wrote:
I just got up from a nap. And I'm pleading with myself. Just go back to work. You screwed up on the Adult Function Report and you know they won't approve your claim. Just try to get back into your old life.

And it's tempting. Not working has filled me with emptiness and boredom. But I know that I am unlikely to be able to get back into working. But then I think they're not going to approve my SSDI, so I will have no money coming in.

It is empty and boring. The best advice I can offer you is that if you truly know you can't work and it will end badly, stay the course! Yes is tough without money. And it can take quite some time to get approved so as SSDI doesn't get approved quickly except for terminal illness. My question is I think I saw that you are 30? Have you enough points to qualify for SSDI or will you end up having to do the SSI route?

beneficii wrote:
I then think about the short-term/long-term disability with my company, hoping I can get some financial respite by getting it approved. My therapist has not let me down yet, but I don't know.

I also don't know how well I understand my own condition and if my therapist's info can line up with the Adult Function Report.

My mind is absolutely racing with all these different thoughts and I'm scared, really scared.

From most insurance (private) with at company, it is generally HARDER to get then from the government. If it was a physical thing then perhaps short term, but long term generally is VERY hard to get via this route.

beneficii wrote:
I know no one can make promises here, so I am left to nothing but worrying and anxiety and obsessing over this whole process, hour to hour, day to day, week to week, month to month, and maybe year to year. Where is my money going to come from if I can't return to work but also can't get on disability of any sort?

What if I show up at work, do fine, but then they're mad at me for having taken so much disability that they let me go.

What on earth can I do then?

So you are still employed and taking disability? I think I am slightly confused. I can say this that as long as you follow the FMLA regs, legally the company can't do a thing. Sure they could terminate you via "at will" employment, but if you are currently on approved leave with short term disability and are following doctor/therapist instructions. I think that would open them up for lawsuit. Have you invoked FMLA? If not do it ASAP and get your therapist to assist you. Your therapist should be well-versed in such things.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 10:42 pm

KB8CWB wrote:
It is empty and boring. The best advice I can offer you is that if you truly know you can't work and it will end badly, stay the course! Yes is tough without money. And it can take quite some time to get approved so as SSDI doesn't get approved quickly except for terminal illness. My question is I think I saw that you are 30? Have you enough points to qualify for SSDI or will you end up having to do the SSI route?

Yes. When you're 30, you don't need as many total credits as when you're older. Either way, I've worked well more than 5 years in my last 10 years.

Quote:
From most insurance (private) with at company, it is generally HARDER to get then from the government. If it was a physical thing then perhaps short term, but long term generally is VERY hard to get via this route.

I guess we shall see.

Quote:
So you are still employed and taking disability? I think I am slightly confused. I can say this that as long as you follow the FMLA regs, legally the company can't do a thing. Sure they could terminate you via "at will" employment, but if you are currently on approved leave with short term disability and are following doctor/therapist instructions. I think that would open them up for lawsuit. Have you invoked FMLA? If not do it ASAP and get your therapist to assist you. Your therapist should be well-versed in such things.

My FMLA has been exhausted, and in fact in the last 12 months I have not worked enough hours to qualify. Nevertheless, I am applying for disability through my employer's disability insurance. It appears that if you are approved for disability, your job is protected, FMLA or not.

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 10:49 pm

Well I wish you the best and again I would rely on your therapist. Your therapist is probably knowledgeable on this and can help you. Could your therapist help with the AFR and filling it out? I know the forms I had for the physical end my doctor filled out. I wouldn't have known where to start on it to be honest.

Good luck and keep us posted! In the meantime if you have a diversion such as hobbies it might help to take your mind off of the waiting game. You need to have an outlet so you don't dwell on it all the time. I mess with my hobbies, putter round the house, most anything to keep my mind off of the what ifs...

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 10:59 pm

KB8CWB wrote:
Well I wish you the best and again I would rely on your therapist. Your therapist is probably knowledgeable on this and can help you. Could your therapist help with the AFR and filling it out? I know the forms I had for the physical end my doctor filled out. I wouldn't have known where to start on it to be honest.

Good luck and keep us posted! In the meantime if you have a diversion such as hobbies it might help to take your mind off of the waiting game. You need to have an outlet so you don't dwell on it all the time. I mess with my hobbies, putter round the house, most anything to keep my mind off of the what ifs...

What is the AFR?

KB8CWB
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 11:04 pm

beneficii wrote:
KB8CWB wrote:

What is the AFR?

Sorry Adult Function Report, the one you think you goofed on. I thought like the physical reports they were to be filled out by professionals like doctors, therapists, etc. I know my caseworker doesn't expect me to fill any out, might be different where you are as varies state to state.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

01 Sep 2014, 11:12 pm

KB8CWB wrote:
beneficii wrote:
KB8CWB wrote:

What is the AFR?

Sorry Adult Function Report, the one you think you goofed on. I thought like the physical reports they were to be filled out by professionals like doctors, therapists, etc. I know my caseworker doesn't expect me to fill any out, might be different where you are as varies state to state.

The instructions I received for the AFR said specifically NOT to have a doctor or hospital to fill them out. I've already filled it out and put it in the mail. I dove right into it and did it very quickly, perhaps too quickly. I did call afterwards to clarify some things, like that my dental hygiene has declined precipitously over the last couple years and that I do have good days as well as bad days. Anyway, what's done is done.