Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 5:40 am

I have a friend who's abused by his parents and he needs to get OUT of there as soon he graduates high school The parents are SO controlling they refuse to let him learn to drive or even get a job. It's a very rural Bible-Belt town on top of a mountain. The father is some kind of minister and "rules" over the whole town. The police and anyone who could possibly help my friend is on the side of the father. That's just the way it works in a lot of these small towns.

He wants to leave "home" when he graduates, but that's impossible without money. The nearest homeless shelter is over fifteen minutes away by car and like I said, he's on the top of a mountain.

I want to start a Go Fund Me for him so he can get out of that hellhole, get an apartment and job and finally start living his own life. But I don't have a clue about how to set one up. I'm also on government benefits and have always heard that if you make money this way, or if someone makes a Go Fund Me account for you they will take away your benefits. I don't know about making one for another person, but I don't want to take chances. If anyone could help me, you'd have no idea how grateful I would be. And before you accuse my friend of making this all up, please don't. My question is about Go Fund Me itself. I will be the judge of whether this person is lying or not (and I don't think they are) and for the time, this is just something I'm looking into.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 8:28 am

You can go to the GoFundMe website, and follow the instructions.

In order for somebody else to do this, the person would have to know your friend’s name and other info.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 10:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
You can go to the GoFundMe website, and follow the instructions.

In order for somebody else to do this, the person would have to know your friend’s name and other info.

Thank you! THANK YOU for not starting a witch hunt about whether my friend is making this all up or not like people on some other forums have done.

I know his name, but not his address. Do I need that too? I know they can take away a person's benefits if someone gets a Go Fund Me donation, but can they take away the benefits of the person who created it?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 10:23 am

Does he get benefits? If so, that would affect his or his parent’s benefits.

I doubt this would affect YOUR benefits.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

25 Mar 2018, 11:04 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Does he get benefits? If so, that would affect his or his parent’s benefits.

I doubt this would affect YOUR benefits.

I honestly have no idea. I think he doesn't.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2018, 4:54 am

MagicMeerkat wrote:
He wants to leave "home" when he graduates, but that's impossible without money. The nearest homeless shelter is over fifteen minutes away by car and like I said, he's on the top of a mountain.

If he's truly living a terrible existence at home under his father, why is this not a valid option for him upon graduation? :?

15 minutes by car is a distance one could walk in a few hours' time. He'd have a place to lay his head while he got a fresh start with his first job and making a go of things. If he's determined to do it, he'll make it.