Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 12:55 pm

You know, the criteria for autistic disorder, which I am said to have. This is what I think I have though:

Autism Spectrum Disorder 299.00 (F84.0)

Diagnostic Criteria

A. Persistent deficits in social communication and social interaction across multiple contexts, as manifested by the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive, see text):

1. Deficits in social-emotional reciprocity, ranging, for example, from abnormal social approach and failure of normal back-and-forth conversation; to reduced sharing of interests, emotions, or affect; to failure to initiate or respond to social interactions.

2. Deficits in nonverbal communicative behaviors used for social interaction, ranging, for example, from poorly integrated verbal and nonverbal communication; to abnormalities in eye contact and body language or deficits in understanding and use of gestures; to a total lack of facial expressions and nonverbal communication.

3. Deficits in developing, maintaining, and understanding relationships, ranging, for example, from difficulties adjusting behavior to suit various social contexts; to difficulties in sharing imaginative play or in making friends; to absence of interest in peers.

Specify current severity:

Severity is based on social communication impairments and restricted repetitive patterns of behavior (see Table 2).

B. Restricted, repetitive patterns of behavior, interests, or activities, as manifested by at least two of the following, currently or by history (examples are illustrative, not exhaustive; see text):

1. Stereotyped or repetitive motor movements, use of objects, or speech (e.g., simple motor stereotypies, lining up toys or flipping objects, echolalia, idiosyncratic phrases).

2. Insistence on sameness, inflexible adherence to routines, or ritualized patterns or verbal nonverbal behavior (e.g., extreme distress at small changes, difficulties with transitions, rigid thinking patterns, greeting rituals, need to take same route or eat food every day).

3. Highly restricted, fixated interests that are abnormal in intensity or focus (e.g, strong attachment to or preoccupation with unusual objects, excessively circumscribed or perseverative interest).

4. Hyper- or hyporeactivity to sensory input or unusual interests in sensory aspects of the environment (e.g., apparent indifference to pain/temperature, adverse response to specific sounds or textures, excessive smelling or touching of objects, visual fascination with lights or movement).

I think I'd still fit the criteria for autism to some degree, so I don't think I've really lost my diagnosis any. I just wanted to check this to be sure because I know the changes were made recently, and I've been curious about it. My psychiatrist, doctor and parents still believe I am autistic, and I think I still am.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 5:08 pm

edit: sorry, that was meant to be a new topic... I am feeling very off right now, and apparently not paying attention to what I am doing.

But what are the changes that were made that you are referring to? I haven't gotten an official diagnosis as of yet so I don't know a whole lot about the previous criteria.

- Sherlock Holmes

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:08 pm

I don't really know. I just know they made changes to the criteria, so I guess this is what they are referring to. I already know I'm somewhere on the spectrum. I just don't know where because no one has been able to tell me. I can only consider myself having a mystery ASD that I know only from what I've learned about from myself.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:17 pm

So does that mean that now they are able to give you some sort of measurement of where you fall on the spectrum? I've seen people post with their evaluation results before, and they sometimes put some different numbers for stuff like IQ, but other than that I don't really get what they are for. Is that what you are wondering about?

- Sherlock Holmes

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 6:21 pm

My dad thinks if I get re-evaulated, it could affect my Social Security Income. I don't want to mess with that because it would cause a lot of financial problems for us. D:

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:43 pm

Oh, yeah that's probably a good idea not to then. Hopefully the change doesn't affect your current diagnosis.

I'm curious to see how this evaluation works, but I guess I have to wait a whole month or possibly more for some kind of approval :evil: I guess first thing is I need to take an IQ test; afterwards I will have some other less formal evaluations but they didn't say what they were. What was involved in the evaluation you got? I wonder if they changed how they do evaluations now.

- Sherlock Holmes

LokiofSassgard
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2014, 8:53 pm

I don't remember. I was diagnosed when I was twelve, and I don't really have a good memory of that. D: